“Lovely public spaces; cramped private spaces”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West
Ranked #29 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Winnipeg
“Lovely public spaces; cramped private spaces”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in August on a family trip. The staff were welcoming. The included breakfast was decent (not exceptional but good). Cookies at the front desk are a nice touch. The pool area was unexpectedly beautiful and we used that a lot. Our room was dimly lit and the decor, dated. Pillows were small and feather; I asked for foam but only one was available in the entire hotel! Room was small, but adequate for 3.
There are better hotels in the area, I am sure (a nice Hilton Garden Inn right out back, for example).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
kampala
Reviewed 3 September 2013

as we left fargo for minesota,reaching the airport the white beaming shuttle reflecting west bloomington parked at the right time as if the chefaur was on an appointment.we arh a smooth drive to the white hotel with a large parking.as i checked in oh wonderfull a cooky bisciut in the busket was the warm welcome to minesota.the rooms were neat and well organised.your can chose to read at the corner or relax on a confatable chair staring through the window see well mouned grass and flowers.

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Won't stay again! I spent double what I normally would on a hotel and definitely was NOT worth it! Furniture had stains on it, fridge was sitting on a rotted piece of wood, lamp was falling apart, couch cushion was torn up bad, suite only had one Tv, front desk attendants were not helpful. They charged my debit card $15 when I checked in and when I called to ask they said that was normal and they've never had to tell other guests about it! I understand why they charge this, but tell me!! Bathroom was nothing special. Front desk didn't tell me about breakfast or any amenities. You faced the side of the TV from the bed and pullout couch. Very poorly set up/ designed. Fridge kept nothing cold, breakfast tasted terrible!! Oh- did I mention the spiders!! Huge!! Out of the 8-10 times walking in and out of the hotel only 1 clerk said anything to us! No parking! Had to park in the hotel next door lot!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank hockeytraveling
countryinnblgw, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is guests like you that take the time to make us aware of things we are doing well or where we need improvement that make us a better hotel. I have forwarded your comments to our corporate office so that they are also aware of how the guests are feeling about our rooms. I also had our pest control come to make sure that there are no spiders in our guest rooms. I spoke with the employees to ensure that they are greeting guests as they walk in the lobby as well. We are extremely disheartened this happened to you at our establishment.
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2013

first of all, I have stayed at MANY Counrty Inn and suites and have had very good experiences. This vist has changed my thoughts of ever staying at at country inn again. From the moment I walked into the lobby I noticed that the "country inn feel' was absent. The staff was "sloppy" looking and not that friendly. As we headed to the elevator to head to our room I then noticed that the wallpaper behind the elevator button was totally peeled and spackled. Looked so unappealing as did the lobby. It ''felt" dirty. The inside of the elevator was also smelly and dirty. When we got off the elevator I then notice how "dirty" the furniture by the elevator was. Our room was o k but again noticed crooked lab shades, holes in the wall that were patched and just left. Doesn't give a "homey" feel at all.The toilet and shower were so small it felt like I was in a airplane. Carpeting in the room was "dirty". I kept socks on the whole time. The air conditioner unit was "filthy'" AND had a bad odor coming out of it. Drapes hanging had holes in them. I truly wanted to leave but we had plans for our kids. So I stuck it out. Next morning we headed down for breakfast and found 2 rooms with NO ORDER ! Some food in 1 room and some in the other! Again, dirty tables. I tried some eggs and that was it. We never ate there again for the remaining of our 3 days. Very unpleasant experience and left me not wanting to ever try this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
countryinnblgw, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay, we are doing some updates and the wall vinyl in the hallways is one of the projects as well as the lobby. I will also have someone look at your room immediately and have the maintenance and housekeeping issues fixed. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Fargo ND
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Check-in was quick. Even had cookies available for guests at the front desk. Smallish rooms with a tiny bathroom (toilet and shower). The sink is situated outside of the bathroom. Rooms could use some freshening up (holes in curtains, missing hooks in bathroom, chipped paint). There was Pantene shampoo and conditioner along with Vaseline lotion. Our room had two queen beds and each bed had 3 smaller square pillows. Yes, square. We had a guest service request and were promptly accommodated. Housekeeping was very friendly! Free hot breakfast is always a plus in my book. Staff was good about keeping things replenished and tables clean. Really nice pool area. Location was just okay. It's within close driving proximity to lots of things but not much withing walking distance.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind words about the staff and service. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their time here. Also thank you for the feedback about the bathrooms. Thank you for staying with us.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel. We were just looking for a place to stay before boarding a flight. We got what we paid for and were satisfied. The staff was nice. The breakfast was good. The room was clean. The price was right. We recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bancroft, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here on business. I had a King room on the top floor. The room was clean, but very small. The bathroom was so tiny that only the toilet and shower were in the actual bathroom and the sink/vanity was just outside of the bathroom- also tiny. I couldn't fit my makeup bag and curling iron on the vanity, it kept falling off. The mattress was hard with a down feather padding thrown on top. At first I thought that would be nice to sleep on but it wasn't, the feathers spread out under the weight and I was down to the hard mattress in no time. I tossed and turned all night and was very tired for my meetings the next day and my long drive home. Breakfast the next day as your average powdered scrabbled eggs, cheap sausage, cereal, oatmeal and yogurt. Definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns & Suites standards.

We are also sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the “Be Our Guest” Breakfast. Our goal is to ensure we are offering fresh food and that each item is available for all of our guests. Your review gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.