SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Mall of America
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Madison, Wisconsin
“Turned out well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have to say the beginning of our 5-day stay was frustrating, but it got better. After we arrived, we settled in and went down to the pool and found it to be closed and the hot tub empty - no one said anything about it when we checked in. We asked and they said the pool was out of chemical balance and would be ready by 4pm but weren't sure about the hot tub which had a broken part. Went down again around 4:20 and still closed. The front desk then told us we could hike it over to the HIlton next door and swim, which we did. Fairly annoyed at this point, but also these things happen, so let it go that day. So, next day, pool still closed in the afternoon. Talked to the nice young man behind the desk and let him know that one of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the pool and the hot tub (which was true - my kids are older but still love to swim at hotels). He apologized and gave me a significant discount for my entire stay. The pool opened later (which the kids said had dead bugs in it and smelled weird) and the hot tub never did, but I felt at least they did right by me with the discount. It would have been much more disappointing if my kids were younger. We didn't swim again. (Pool is also quite small, BTW.)

Other than that, the place was quite clean, beds were comfortable, it was quiet, planes weren't very loud at all until Friday (we were there during the weekdays, maybe busier on the weekend?), most staff were friendly, breakfast was slightly better than most hotels. It was close to the mall and IKEA and easy to get downtown via the freeways.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Geneva, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

While the hotel itself is what you'd expect from a Springhill Suites Hotel (Clean, nice decor, friendly staff), our stay was not completely what we expected from a quality chain hotel. It is indeed very close (but not exactly walking distance) from the Mall of America - and it is VERY close to the airport (if we were to be flying in/out). We did not expect to be near the flight path for planes landing, but the hotel must be pretty well soundproofed because we could only hear the screaming engines of planes sitting out on the patio outside. Our biggest issue with the hotel was parking. They share a parking lot with a Hampton Inn (just to the south) and both nights that we stayed, parking was difficult to find. Our last night the staff asked us to park out on the road, just off property. Only when I told the front desk "No" did they allow us to park in the underground garage, underneath the hotel itself. Additionally, this was the first time we've experienced a breakfast at this chain that appeared understaffed and to have not enough space for all of the people staying at the hotel. Both mornings it took near an hour for our family to get through the long lines and get something to eat. They only had two people working who were constantly putting out fires trying to replenish food and drinks for the constant flow of people.

Room Tip: Unless you are really interested in watching planes land, ask for a room that is on the East side of...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Joan L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Mall of America, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Phil R,

We want to thank you for sharing about your experience with our property. Our goal is to provide superior service and exceed expectations for all of our guests. We are always seeking ways to improve and to ensure that we are achieving this goal. The feedback provided in regards to style, cleanliness and staff is much appreciated. We also thank you for the feedback regarding breakfast and parking. We are currently assessing peak demand hours to ensure we have an additional staff member to assist and coordinate breakfast. We will also ensure that we have additional seating prepared in our meeting space, when possible, during the heaviest breakfast demand times.

Again, we sincerely value your feedback and hope that you choose to stay with our property should you return to the Bloomington area.
Manlius, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is an ideal hotel for business travelers that have an early flight. Hotel is only five minutes from the airport. It is also only minutes away from Mall of America. Although this is an older Springhill Suites (smaller rooms than the newer models) the rooms are very clean and the lobby is nice. Front desk help was very friendly and great with directions.I did not hear any flights from my room, as many people report. Very nice experience hear - no complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

First of all, this airport is right in the flight path of MSP and they go right past the hotel all day. If you are a light sleeper, try to ask for a room at the front of the hotel.. The flights start taking off around 5:00 a.m. and you can definitely hear noise, at least I did. As for the hotel itself, I was not that impressed. it took them a long time to answer the phone when I called from the airport and needed a shuttle, Once I finally reached the front desk, the shuttle did not take too long. Shuttles were also on time to MOA and the return trip to the airport. The woman that checked me in was nice, but never acknowledged my Gold status. The rest of the front desk staff never seemed that friendly. As for the room, someone had turned off my fridge and It had water leaking inside it from it defrosting so I had to clean that up The carpet in my room was stained and my hotel guest booked was ripped.. The shower in my room never really got more than warm. These were only small things, but I found them disappointing. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were too big for me. The gym was nice but the pool is small. Breakfast was ok with hot and cold choices. There are two computers in the lobby for guests and WiFi is complimentary. Personally, i do not think I would return to this property. The rates are a little higher than some other hotels in the area and the airport noise bothered me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the airport side if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank debbiejo
Joan L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Mall of America, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear debbiejo,

We would like to thank you for providing feedback about your recent experience at our property. We are glad to hear that you did enjoy the newer beds, updated fitness center and our complimentary breakfast buffet. However, we are sorry to hear about the issues that you had experienced. We do strive to provide an overall great experience for each guest that stays at our property. Rest assured, we have addressed each issue with the appropriate department to ensure they do not happen in the future. We truly value you as our guest and hope that you will consider a return to our property in the future.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed one night here on our way home from a vacation. We had stayed here before, and the like then, the service was great, and the rooms clean. I did notice you could hear quite a bit of hallway and some room noise while in your suite. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were in town for a sad occasion, but the non-intrusive and helpful staff immediately made us feel welcome so our family could relax and enjoy our time together. It was certainly one of the best hotel experiences any of us have ever had. Our rooms were lovely, the breakfast was fresh and delicious, we were welcomed to make full use of the lobby (which we did--with the bartender adding to our fun), and the location worked well for getting around the Twin Cities. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marsha S
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

To be honest, I would probably not have picked this hotel except the rest of the family reunion crew was staying there. I thought it was too close to the airport and a major highway to be a restful/relaxing place. Well, color me wrong! We were on the fifth (top) floor within "spitting" distance of the airport and could not hear any planes at any time. It was amazing! Couldn't hear any traffic, either. The room was more than comfortable and provided "stretching" space. My husband and I both enjoyed the breakfast buffet - loved the fresh strawberries. The bar was a nice touch. Best of all - we were less than an easy five minutes from the Mall of America!! Thank goodness someone besides me was picking the hotel or we would have missed a very nice stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family