Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went to the Jackson Browne concert at the State Theater, only a six block walk. The hotel is close to theaters, food, a convention center, sporting events.

Nice facility at a good price. Parking on site, valet parking available.

Parking was our only hiccup - the signage is unclear as to which elevator to take to get to the lobby, but that was not a big problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wonderful hotel. We were there on the 4th of July weekend as part of a wedding group. Hotel was sold out but the customer service was awesome. You would never have known they were at capacity. We had car trouble and had to extend our stay, the desk staff was so helpful with making arrangements and suggestions. Housekeeping was so sweet and graciously kind. If we ever were in Minneapolis again we would definitely stay there. I am not sure what rooms these other reviews were in, but our rooms were beautiful, updated, modern and clean. The bedding was extremely comfortable and the towels were soft and a lot of them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Milanie S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Beachy1987
Thank you for your kind words! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you with us again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is about a mile from the mall with shuttle service both ways. It is also right by the light rail which will take you directly to Nicollet mall. The hotel was clean, the employees were friendly. The kids enjoyed the pool. Not a hotel you can walk out of and find coffee shops or breakfast places without driving. If you like a urban location, don't choose this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

jhezod
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here. For your next visit, we have the hotel shuttle avilable that can take you to the mall area as well.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Bldg is beautiful, well decorated & very clean. Extra touches such as coffee in lobby, cookies in the evening occcasionally & most of all would like a refrig in each room. We are diabetic & meds need to be refrigerated. Cost for meals in restaurant are too expensive especially breafast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

43juanitat
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to tell you that with the upcoming room refresh, we will be adding refrigerators to our guest rooms. We hope you will be back to see the changes!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the first negative review I can recall ever writing for a hotel.

June 2014 we stayed at the Hilton Minneapolis Airport Mall of America as we have countless times. Before going downtown for the night, we double checked with the front desk and with the shuttle drivers that they can drop us off and pick us up at the nearby train stop or at the Mall of America, even if it was a little past the last scheduled run.

While on our way back later that night, I called the front desk as we pulled up to the train stop near the Hilton Airport Mall of America. An employee I'll call Z answered at the front desk. He said they cannot pick us up at the train stop. I agreed because, although drop offs are easy, there isn’t a place for the shuttle to park for pick-ups. So, we went on past that stop while I spoke with Z on the phone. Near the end of our conversation, we were now very close to the Mall of America. I asked him to send a shuttle. He said he can’t until we are physically at the location. We were a couple minutes away and were on the train. Still, he said he couldn’t send a shuttle until we’re physically there. I said “‘ok’ I’ll call you back in about 2 minutes.”

Once we were off of the train at the Mall of America I called back. Over a span of about 40 minutes, I called 20 times. My wife, called 9 times. With $20 cash we were finally able to persuade a Marriot driver to take us to Hilton.

When we arrived, the lobby was empty except for one guy at a lobby computer. My wife called again as we arrived, entered and approached the desk. Z put his finger up to signify we needed to wait. He had a phone call. Ours. Z was stumbling over his words, with no answer for why he hasn’t been answering the phone. Next Z stated the phone never rang. I called again from my phone. It rang. He had no explanation.

I told Z to explain what happened to his supervisor because I’ll be speaking with him or her in the morning. The morning manager I'll call F. F said the extent of his knowledge was “there was some sort of issue”. I explained to F in detail what happened and he offered me $25 off my bill. He wanted to cover our cost to pay the Marriot driver and that was his guess at the figure.

This was an additional slap in the face. After years and thousands of dollars of loyalty to Hilton, when an employee intentionally leaves two customers stranded late at night without any explanation, that is Hilton’s attempt to make it right again? I refused the offer. F asked what I thought. I said the very least he could do is give us one free night for the one they ruined.

The very least is exactly what he did. Hilton's manager had an opportunity to show us this type of employee behavior is rare and is not tolerable at Hilton Hotels. Instead, he demonstrated this is commonplace and we are only owed our expenses.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne D

Wayne D,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear of the challenges you had. We are using your feedback to better train our staff in providing excelent customer service. We do hope you will visit, if in the area again, so that we may show you the improvements made.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Let me start by saying I gave this two stars, because the front lobby staff is extremely friendly and very helpful. After that man, the hotel is what I would equate to a Motel 8 type setting and amenities at a much higher price.

The rooms where dingy, pillows were lumpy, and the carpet was old and ugly. The bathroom is a simple tub with a shower head nothing extravagant, again what you would see in a Motel 8. They do not have a garment steamer, so if your dress or jacket is wrinkled good luck you can get it dry cleaned if you have enough time.

We had access to the executive lounge, but I think so does ¾ of the hotel so, it was nothing special free water and pop. Since the entire hotel has access (probably not the entire hotel, but a lot of people), after like 10pm the thing is usually empty, and a mess or at least it was during our stay. Breakfast is basic and less than what you get at most complimentary breakfast stations at other hotels. We did get a chance to eat breakfast in the lounge; the buffet was $17/person and what a joke it was. My wife ate some of the Salmon off their bar and got sick, so that was great. They do offer omelets with the breakfast bar so at least you get that for your $17 dollars. My suggestion would be to leave the hotel and go into one of the towns, we found a place call Hot Plate and for $20 we both left full and the food was great, compared to the $48 we spent on the nasty buffet it was a deal of a lifetime.

Lastly, the hotel parking, do not park in the front if you want to get your car out of the lot. They allow buses to park right in front of the hotel to pick up guests and these a large tour buses, so they take up all the room. I was stuck and literally had to get out of the car and yell at the guy to move as he could see my car was too big to maneuver out of the space. You would think that they would tell them to park on the side or something or only sit if they are picking or dropping off, but no they don’t.

Therefore, if you have a pet, kids, or just enjoy basic amenities at a higher price than a Red Roof In, then the Hilton Minneapolis is for you. If you want a romantic setting for an anniversary, night without kids, or just expect better go somewhere else. If I ever come back to Minneapolis, or next time a travel I will second guess staying at any Hilton and I’m a rewards member.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you can. If not don't pay for an upgraded room, because they are not wort...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S

Brian S
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear of hte challenges you encountered while staying with us. Your suggstions and comments have been shared with all departments so that improvements may be put into place to improve the guest experience.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed two nights with teenage kids to go to Mall of America and shop. I am not fancy, usually stay at the less expensive Hilton option, Hampton Inn. Paid for Hilton and didn't get what we expected. Room 331, the bathroom ceiling is full of mold stains and poor efforts to cover it up. We didn't want to try to switch, we arrived at midnight, so we stayed in the room and we were disappointed. The rest of the hotel appears to be very nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank oman11670

oman11670
Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your comments with the appropriate departments. We are pleased to share with you our plans for a refresh of all of our rooms this comng fall. We hope to have you back to see the improvements.