“Consistent Only in the Disasppointing Service”

Park Plaza Bloomington
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Winnipeg, Canada
“Consistent Only in the Disasppointing Service”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The hotel itself is quite nice but the customer service was bad the whole way through. We checked in late and were barely acknowledged, the two staff who were working just continued their conversation while we stood there.The back parking lot floods when it rains - something the staff knew but didn't tell us - and I got water damage to my car (along with many other guests). The hotel "couldn't" do anything for us so we spent half a day of vacation cleaning out 6 inches of water and then dealt with the smell of bogwater until we got home. I would have been happy just to hear "We're sorry about that" but instead the staff acted like it was our fault and we were bothering them by even mentioning it. The front desk manager told us that if the car worked, we were fine and had nothing to worry about - I later found out that it's very dangerous to drive a car that's been submerged in water, the electronics can fail at any time (thanks Park Plaza!). We didn't have any hot water in our room and when we told the front desk, the girl just said "yeah, we know." When we checked out I asked to speak to the manager to let him know we weren't happy with the service and was told he was "too busy" to talk to us and that I could "try" calling him the next day. It was obvious they didn't care that we were unhappy and just wanted to get us out of there. I ended up sending an email to the company about it, thinking they'd at least apologise for the bad experience. Nope. Instead I got a response telling me I should direct any concerns about my car to their insurance company (by now the car's been dealt with and wasn't an issue), but not a single word about the way we were treated and certainly no apology. It showed me that nobody involved in that company, from the front desk clerk to the manager, cares about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
I am very sorry that your car was negatively affected by the flash flooding that occurred during your stay. We had roped off the back area of the lot the day before and unfortunately the ropes were moved, allowing people to park in this natural lowland. It was an unfortunate situation that happened and we tried to ensure that all of our guests were taken care of quickly, safely and efficiently. I also noted your comment about the hot water, we lost one of our hot water heaters that same weekend and have a new one being installed this week. It is certainly frustrating not having hot water to take showers. We normally provide above and beyond service and I am disappointed that we were not able to provide you with that level of service. I will review your comments with our entire staff so they can understand how important it is to be responsive to issues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We booked this place through priceline for $40 night - stayed there for 5 nights. The place is outdated and a lil rundown. The staff was friendly and will accomodate you right away. The luggage "cart" was (most of them) broken so my husband needed to find a cart that actually works. It has a pool but we didnt want to use it at all. Small and cold. The room we stayed was placed at the back so the scenery was all construction area and stuff. The room was just OK (or less).. I dont like the decor, I dont like the washroom even it was granite countertop, it just didnt go with it the fact that the room is very outdated. I could hear people, kids, next door through this thin walls. This place is also tricky to find. The price we paid for this place was worth it, but I wouldnt pick this one when we are at Bloomington area again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. After reading your concern on the luggage carts, we investigated right away as we have weekly maintenance done on them. We did not find any issues with them however I know that with these carts they can be tricky with the wheels and whether you should pull or push, depending on how the wheels are positioned. Perhaps this is the issue you were encountering? We had recently updated the rooms with white duvet covers, gold bed runners and mattresses and pillows and continue to look at other opportunities to update the hotel. We have not heard the concerns before for the noise or the pool, as we have one of the larger pools on the Bloomington strip but I will have my engineering ensure the temperature is at the proper setting. We appreciate you saw a value in the hotel and do hope upon your return, you will stay with us again.
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Lindsay checked us in and she was super nice and helpful. They are a pet friendly hotel, so we brought our dog. The bar has an awesome happy hour weekdays 4-6pm--$2 draws, house wine, and well drinks. They also offer discounts on apps at that time. We definitely took advantage of that. The shuttle was also convenient. They took us to the mall of america and also to a local restaurant.

• Stayed August 2011
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass your kind words to Lindsay as the staff loves to hear when they have made a positive affect on your stay. We look forward to your return and please let us know if we can assist you with your next reservation.
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We really enjoyed our two night stay here. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and spacious. The breakfast buffet was very enjoyable. The waiter and waitress were very friendly and helpful. The Hotel is only about a 6 minute drive to Mall of America. This hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Mall.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Thank you so much for your comments. We are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay and experienced the service we are so proud of. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the appropriate staff members. We look forward to your return and be sure to check us out on Facebook for any promotions or updates that we will be posting.
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We like to stay here when in the cities. It's a great value for what we get. spacious room, free wireless internet that is fast! Comfortable beds. I do agree though with a previous review about the noisy window units! It is time hotels start doing some upgrades to the cooling and heating units and get rid of the bathtubs already. Put in shower stalls and lots more accessible sockets!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bearpawqs
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Hello and Thank You for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return. You will be pleased to learn that we had begun the process of replacing all the old window units and continue to do so on a monthly basis. The new units are much quieter and still allow you to use both heating and/or cooling to your preference. We do hope upon your return you will find these a nice change. There are no plans to take out the tubs as these are still requested however enhancements of the bowed shower curtian rods and massage shower heads were installed to make your shower a more enjoyable experience. We do appreciate your feedback and your business. Please dont hesitate to contact us in the future for any further needs.
Reviewed 24 May 2011

5 miles from MOA and only 12 to downtown. Nearest bagel place was about 3 miles down the road. This hotel is also within 5 miles of REI. The bed was very comfortable and the only really sign of wear was in the bathroom some paint was peeling above the light. The hottub should have been warmer as well. Overall great value.

• Stayed May 2011
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 28 May 2011
Thank you for your comments, I am very pleased to see that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations during your stay. If you have a moment to contact me at the hotel to advise me of which room you occupied during your stay so we can address the paint and wallpaper issues in the bathroom, it would assist me in making sure the room is in better condition for the next guest.

I hope we can be of service to you on future visits, please contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you for future stays.
Mercer, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I was very disappointed in this hotel given its rating as a 3 star hotel. The lobby and lounge area were passable, but the hallway on my floor looked it could have been a low rent apartment building. Water stains on the ceiling and walls, all the doors scuffed and stained and just a general shabby look. My room had a distinct and unpleasant odor to it and my blow dryer fell off the wall in the bathroom. The location for the hotel is good - very convenient to the area and major highways and I felt safe, but other than that it was an unpleasant experience. I won't be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know where our opportunities are so we can continue to work on improving our product and service. I was happy to see that you enjoyed the lounge and lobby areas, obviously we need to continue with the other common areas. We are working on the hallways and continue to paint doors and ceilings, shampoo carpeting and perform preventative maintenance in all of our rooms.

If I can ever be of personal assistance to you, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you again and I am hopeful that we do have the opportunity to be of service to you on future visits.