“Great location”

GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Couldn't find anything bad to comment about. Hotel was price right, easy to get to all locations in the area. Really appreciated having a restaurant and bar right in the hotel. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you for your comments and we are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of our Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm Happy hour with $2 apps and drinks. We look forward to your return visit , appreciate your business and if there is anything you need assistance with, please dont hesitate to contact the staff here.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

The last time Frank (age 72) was in town (he is a scientist from London), he stayed at the Westin in Edina, MN. Because he couldn't get in there this time, Frank looked around and found the Park Plaza in Bloomington, MN online. Although I had never heard of the Park Plaza, I was nervous and thought I might check it out on Trip Advisor. I wasn't very excited about what I read. As a result, every day I was with Frank (I acted as his admin and chauffeur), I checked in with him about his experience at the hotel. He was so pleased every day, he could not say enough about the service, the amazing chef's breakfast, and his room. I think because I was so curious about how his stay was at this hotel (true, I was still nervous every day!), Frank invited me up to his room to see it for a few minutes. I thought the room was elegant, clean, and I loved the little business area sort of separate from the bed. The Westin in Edina, MN is super expensive. The elegance of this hotel is one of Bloomington's best kept secrets! Frank had a wonderful experience at "The Plaza" (as he called it), and will definitely stay there again. For me, the access off of France Ave. and freeway 494, was incredibly easy and fast to get to. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your clients experience. We often sell the hotel as the "best kept secret" and so often hear its the service that keeps guests coming back. We welcome Frank to return and please let me know if there is anything I may assist you with in your next trips planning.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I stayed here on my Club Carlson points and was pleasantly surprised with my room. Some of the reviews were mixed but my room was clean and obviously renovated recently. There was free wi-fi, plenty of free parking and I found my room to be very stylish, and comfortable. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room as I was only in town for the night and a Minnesota Twins game, but the highway it is right off the highway (though it is a little tricky to find off the highway) and 10 minutes from the light rail. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and noticed the changes we have made both in the rooms and in the public areas. Next time you are town do note that we have 4 complimentary shuttles that could also take you to the light rail which would allow you to sit back and relax. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We got a great price for this hotel, so I took a chance. The good: nice appearance, great entryway, helpful staff, free parking, FREE SHUTTLE to the Mall of America, where you can get on the light rail to Target Flied/Metrodome.
The bad: thin walls. You can hear everything. Old bones- The hotel looks nice, but it's obvious that behind the pretty face is an aging property. Our A/C was so loud, it woke me up when it turned OFF. The mattresses were not uncomfortable, but not luxurious either. Also, really thin towels!
Overall, if you get a good price, don't hesitate. The Park Plaza is worth a stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. We are so pleased you received good service and enjoyed the complimentary shuttle to the Mall of America/Light Rail. We were surprised to hear of the mattresses as they were all replaced with new pillow top sleepers and receive many compliments however, I know that the AC can be a bit noisy at times and we continue to replace about 5 per month with new ones. Next time you are in town, please send us a note and we will ensure you are in one that has been replaced.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

The hotel itself is quite nice but the customer service was bad the whole way through. We checked in late and were barely acknowledged, the two staff who were working just continued their conversation while we stood there.The back parking lot floods when it rains - something the staff knew but didn't tell us - and I got water damage to my car (along with many other guests). The hotel "couldn't" do anything for us so we spent half a day of vacation cleaning out 6 inches of water and then dealt with the smell of bogwater until we got home. I would have been happy just to hear "We're sorry about that" but instead the staff acted like it was our fault and we were bothering them by even mentioning it. The front desk manager told us that if the car worked, we were fine and had nothing to worry about - I later found out that it's very dangerous to drive a car that's been submerged in water, the electronics can fail at any time (thanks Park Plaza!). We didn't have any hot water in our room and when we told the front desk, the girl just said "yeah, we know." When we checked out I asked to speak to the manager to let him know we weren't happy with the service and was told he was "too busy" to talk to us and that I could "try" calling him the next day. It was obvious they didn't care that we were unhappy and just wanted to get us out of there. I ended up sending an email to the company about it, thinking they'd at least apologise for the bad experience. Nope. Instead I got a response telling me I should direct any concerns about my car to their insurance company (by now the car's been dealt with and wasn't an issue), but not a single word about the way we were treated and certainly no apology. It showed me that nobody involved in that company, from the front desk clerk to the manager, cares about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

I am very sorry that your car was negatively affected by the flash flooding that occurred during your stay. We had roped off the back area of the lot the day before and unfortunately the ropes were moved, allowing people to park in this natural lowland. It was an unfortunate situation that happened and we tried to ensure that all of our guests were taken care of quickly, safely and efficiently. I also noted your comment about the hot water, we lost one of our hot water heaters that same weekend and have a new one being installed this week. It is certainly frustrating not having hot water to take showers. We normally provide above and beyond service and I am disappointed that we were not able to provide you with that level of service. I will review your comments with our entire staff so they can understand how important it is to be responsive to issues

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We booked this place through priceline for $40 night - stayed there for 5 nights. The place is outdated and a lil rundown. The staff was friendly and will accomodate you right away. The luggage "cart" was (most of them) broken so my husband needed to find a cart that actually works. It has a pool but we didnt want to use it at all. Small and cold. The room we stayed was placed at the back so the scenery was all construction area and stuff. The room was just OK (or less).. I dont like the decor, I dont like the washroom even it was granite countertop, it just didnt go with it the fact that the room is very outdated. I could hear people, kids, next door through this thin walls. This place is also tricky to find. The price we paid for this place was worth it, but I wouldnt pick this one when we are at Bloomington area again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. After reading your concern on the luggage carts, we investigated right away as we have weekly maintenance done on them. We did not find any issues with them however I know that with these carts they can be tricky with the wheels and whether you should pull or push, depending on how the wheels are positioned. Perhaps this is the issue you were encountering? We had recently updated the rooms with white duvet covers, gold bed runners and mattresses and pillows and continue to look at other opportunities to update the hotel. We have not heard the concerns before for the noise or the pool, as we have one of the larger pools on the Bloomington strip but I will have my engineering ensure the temperature is at the proper setting. We appreciate you saw a value in the hotel and do hope upon your return, you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Lindsay checked us in and she was super nice and helpful. They are a pet friendly hotel, so we brought our dog. The bar has an awesome happy hour weekdays 4-6pm--$2 draws, house wine, and well drinks. They also offer discounts on apps at that time. We definitely took advantage of that. The shuttle was also convenient. They took us to the mall of america and also to a local restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass your kind words to Lindsay as the staff loves to hear when they have made a positive affect on your stay. We look forward to your return and please let us know if we can assist you with your next reservation.