Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I went through Minneapolis in April 2014 and wanted to spend a couple of days doing some things in the city (although the wet weather during the latter half of April eliminated a number of outdoor activities). As one item on my list was to see the Mall of America, I focused on hotels in the area of the mall. Based on a number of positive reviews from others, I chose the Homewood Suites. I must say that those previous reviewers were right, this is a pretty good place. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, and the check in process went very quickly. I was given a room located on the 7th floor (top floor) and this room was fantastic. It was clean, well maintained, and had lots of space. It also had a well equiped kitchen (including microwave, fridge, cooktop and dishwasher and some dishes/utensils). The bed was very cozy and comfortable, and was in a separate room from the kitchen/TV viewing area. The room also had a fairly large table that could also serve as a desk. An unexpected but really nice touch was the pouch of microwave popcorn that was in the same basket as the coffee/tea.

The complementary breakfast was good and had a selection of hot and cold items. Please note that they also have waffle makers, but the equipment and batter is on the opposite side of the room from where the majority of the food items are located. I guess that rather than crowd everything into the one area, they chose to place it elsewhere, but if you are not aware of this, you might miss this. A nice touch is that this hotel still gives you real plates and utensils and not paper plates and plastic utensils. While there is an expectation that you will take your dirty plates and put them in a bin that the hotel staff will pick up, kudos to the hotel staff who unexpectedly came by my table and took my dirty plates to give me some room the spread out the morning newspaper. That was a nice touch.

While I am very happy with my experience at this hotel, there was one little annoyance that unfortunately they can likely do nothing about. When I first got to my room, I thought I could periodically hear the sound of a bell ringing. I subsequently found out that it is the warning signal from the Metro Transit Blue Line Light Rail Train as it is entering and leaving the Mall of America station. The trains imitate the sound of an old time train bell to warn people and drivers that train is coming. In a quiet room - with the windows closed, I could faintly hear this sound. If your hearing is good, you may experience this as well.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the mall, and the Blue Line train is a good option to go to downtown Minneapolis if you also wish to see that part of the city - or go to a Twins game. There are also a couple of restaurants very close to the hotel - in addition to the numerous places inside the Mall.

Overall, I thought this hotel was a fantastic experience, and notwithstanding my experience with the train bell sounds, I will definitely consider staying here if I come back to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: If you have exceptionally good hearing, stay in a room that does not face the Mall of America (and t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were very thrilled with our recent stay at the end of March. The mall was within walking distance. Our room was spacious and very well equipped. There was a very useful and pretty complete kitchen. A full size fridge and a dishwasher too. The two room suite offered two tv's, a roomy sitting area and comfortable sofa bed. There was a big closet and love that the sink is separate from the toilet/tub. There was also terrific toiletries. Then the daily breakfast was absolutely fantastic. We also stayed during the week so enjoyed a nightly meal not just a snack. The only thing that was missing was a hot tub but not an issue at all. I would certainly stay again. Great value and wonderful services and customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim D
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I travel full-time and have stayed at Homewood for 30 days and will be returning to do the same again soon.
The front desk staff is so accommodating, even when I missed the shuttle they called and he turned around to come get me.

They are great about making sure I feel at home and safe. I was placed at a different hotel for my next 30 day stay at a near by hotel and requested to be placed back at Homewood.

They really do make me feel as home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The personnel were very kind and helpful. They made us feel at home and did it with a smile. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast served was great with many choices The shuttle service to the mail was wonderful with a very nice driver. Enjoyed our stay and would go back again. I would recommend this place to anyone that would like a comfortable happy and relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have stayed here many times over the years, and have continually had quality service along with clean spacious rooms. We have also stayed at 3 other motel brands in the area, but none compare with this facility. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Nice suites, good breakfast, easy location to access mall and only 20 minutes to downtown. Clean room, comfy beds, really like Homewood Suites and would stay again. Had our family of 5, with 3 little boys, and fit comfortably in the suite.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed fro one night on business. Very friendly and efficient, welcoming staff. Decent breakfast- I could have used more fruit. The only issue was that my housekeeping had started cleaning my room before I arrived but never finished the job. Wet soap from the previous guest still in the shower. Unemptied wastebaskets, trash cans in the middle of the room. Towel on the floor in bathroom. Oops! Otherwise clean hotel with good location and very professional front desk staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Robyn G, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your review! I truly apologize for our “oops”! This is not indicative of our normal service and I’m embarrassed that this happened. We take all comments very seriously and I assure you this will be addressed during our next staff meeting. I hope we get another opportunity to show what our usual service is!

Travellers also viewed these Bloomington hotels
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Radisson Blu Mall of America
Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis Mall of America
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America? Share your experiences!