“Very good but misses excellent.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Very good but misses excellent.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The first drawback to this hotel is that it is difficult to find the first time. Check-in was quick and professional. Our room was great. It was a junior suite but was very roomy and comfortable. Bed and bedding were excellent. The sitting area had room for 4 or five people and the TV was large. The major problem had more to do with the bar/restaurant than the hotel itself. The first night, we went down to eat and were told that Happy Hour was still in effect for 15 minutes. We each ordered a drink. My spaghetti was fine--not outstanding--but fine. His shrimp alfredo was not good. The sauce was ok but the shrimp were way overdone. The shock came when we got our bill. We expected to have 2 drinks at Happy Hour prices and 2 at regular prices. Instead, our 4 drinks totaled $42.00! The next night we stayed in our room and picked up a pizza from the bar. It was excellent and we saved more than $60.00. So, if you stay here and want to eat, order the pizza and pick it up at the bar. I'd order off the menu for breakfast. The buffet isn't worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant. I wish I would have known then and there as I would have been happy to have adjusted that bill for you. If you do come back to try us again, please let me know of any issue, big or small so that we can fix it right away or at least adjust the bill accordingly. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have been to many hotels in the Minneapolis area and I found the Crowne Plaza to be the best one for me. It is close enough to everything that I need. The Mall of America is not that far away, but far enough that I am not wasting everyday there. The best part about this hotel would be the staff! They make you feel like family! The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. The restaurant offers a nice made to order breakfast, as well as a buffet if you desire. The dinner menu is always being updated and the food is excellent, and very reasonable prices. The bar is there if you want to enjoy a libation with friends. Parking has never been a problem. Getting back to the staff..... AMAZING! They will bend over backwards to ensure that your stay is comfortable and that you have everything that you need. I HIGHLY recommend staying here if you want a great nights sleep at a CLEAN hotel. Comfortable, Friendly, Reasonably priced, Great food and super staff. What more do you need? Oh, did I mention the pool and hot tub? Trust me, you will not be disappointed! Say Hi to Ashley, Tyron, George, Vicki and the rest of the wonderful staff !!

Room Tip: I prefer not to stay on the first floor. Personal choice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the great review. I think that is one that should go on our website! would you like a job as our PR manager? Thank you again for the amazing review.
Minnesota
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple nights. Comfy beds and linens, with nice bed products for a great night sleep. Great bath products! Had dinner at the restaurant, wasn't impressed and was expensive. Nice pool and hot tub, it would be nice if it was open later. Would return to the hotel, not the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nice review! Thank you for the wonderful words. You might be happy to know we have a new menu from our new chef. We hope you get a chance to try it in the future.
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fifteen minutes from the mall. While they run a shuttle at various times during the day, it's never at a convenient time. This is a hotel that used to be known as Crown Plaza Airport/MOA, the owners of CP renamed it Bloomington West. The other CP now bears the airport/ MOA designation. It is WEST, way west. It's being refurbished, but that didn't help us. We drove ourselves to the Mall, as
that is why we came.

Service is spotty. I went to the bar to get a drink and was ignored. The manager had to be called to unlock the taps and fridge. The front desk was very accommodating when the other CP, the nice one, picked her up and took her to their hotel. They had to call the driver from our hotel to go get her from the other hotel when I complained it was misbranded. It took 45 minutes there and back to get her. A total waste of time, that I believe needs to be resolved. At this time it is still listed incorrectly on travel sites. The hotel is sub par in more ways than you can imagine. Don't stay here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
CrowneFOM, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We would like to apologize for the confusion between the two properties and understand the frustration it may cause. Our hotel name has been Crowne Plaza Bloomington MSP Airport/ MOA for the past 5 years. The Crowne Plaza Suites MSP Airport/ Mall of America rebranded from a Holiday Inn in 2011. It is our hotel policy to allow any guest who unknowingly booked the incorrect hotel to cancel their reservation with no penalty. Room rates, however, may differ as each hotel has different pricing structures.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Made a quick trip to Minneapolis this past weekend and stayed with my favorite "hotel family", the Crowne Plaza Bloomington. I had the pleasure to be assigned a room on the newly renovated executive floor which I had not been on before. I was extremely impressed with their newly renovated rooms. The bathrooms have been totally transformed into an almost spa like ambiance with a large glass tiled shower with glass doors, Pendant lighting creates a soft glow above the shallow rectangular sink. A wood-like ceramic tile has been put down on the bathroom floor as well as the room entryway. Comfortable easy chairs have been added to the rooms a new addition from my last visit, a relaxing space to sit and read or watch a movie on the large TV. As usual, the beds were extremely comfortable and the sheets soft and comfortable. Breakfast Saturday morning was delicious, and I noticed they are now cooking fresh pancakes for their breakfast buffet. The scrambled eggs were some of the best I have ever had. The friendly staff encountered, including Ashley, Douglas, Jill and Travis went out of the way to make me feel at home during my weekend stay. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: The beds here are very comfortable, and combined with the soft sheets really give you a great night...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so very much. We are always making little improvements. We are extremely glad you enjoy them.
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Called multiple times ahead of time to ensure that the two rooms I had booked were connecting. After arriving at 11pm we got to our rooms and guess what.... The rooms were not connecting. So we moved rooms at now close to midnight... got to our room and I must say we were disappointed...the rooms smelled musty like a basement that had been flooded. The curtains were stained. Overall very poor Crown Plaza. Don't stay here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GeraldZIA
CrowneFOM, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We apologize for not fulfilling your request for connecting rooms and that our cleanliness was not up to standard. The hotel has addressed these issues and used them as a training tool moving forward. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation and that you will consider using the hotel the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Carter Lake, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Rooms were clean and staff extremely friendly. Great pool and easy access to the mall which was nice for my family. Bar staff and atmosphere was great! Nice place to stop and watch the game before bed. I think from the minute we stepped foot through the doors until the moment we left the service and staff were phenomenal and family friendly!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GretchenW_12
Thank you for the nice review. We hope to see you again.