Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, Minnesota
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Loved this hotel! The decor was classy yet comforatble, the staff was exceptional and everything was very clean. The food in the restaurant was very tasty and the prices reasonable. Although I don't think the hotel is new, our room showed very, very little wear and tear.

There was one maid in particular who I felt embodied excellent customer service. While I was waiting for my husband to park the car, I was struggling to move a number of bags to a seating area. She saw me and offered to help me take my things to my room, even though she was busy tidying up the entry way. Later, I saw her down by the pool and she was scrubbing the floor with so much energy and dedication! I could see, by her example, that the staff are what make a place great. Everything was clean and I could see why!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
That's wonderful!!! You said it perfectly! I have nothing more to say except, thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
cedar falls
Reviewed 10 February 2014

hotel and staff were great, shuttle service was great, shuttle driver Rick from airport to hotel was very polite and and gave great directions on how to get back to freeway on drive home, would highly recommend this hotel, we have stayed here 4 times and will return

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for the great review. We will be looking forward to giving great service to you the next four stays and beyond.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Bloomington, MN and I wanted to share how pleased I was with my experience. I stay at this hotel frequently for business and I want to commend two people in particular.

Sai, the bartender is phenomenal! She is very friendly, engaging and she always makes me feel welcome. As a "semi-regular" at the CP in Bloomington, she is a friendly face for the weary traveler.

Also, on my most recent stay, Nancy in housekeeping did a stellar job. She was super friendly and even left me a nice note to say,"have a great day". I thought that was exceptionally nice and it made my day (I had a particularly bad day, and it really brightened it up for me).

I would highly recommend this hotel not only for it's convenient location, but also for it's comfortable rooms. Most of all though, I recommend it because of Sai and Nancy!

Michael C.
Atlanta GA

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
That is wonderful! Thank you for writing such a great review. Those two are truly wonderful and we will make sure they read your great words. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
bighorn river montana
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had to overnight in Minneapolis for a early flight. The hotel was convenient, very clean, and the price was great. The food was excellent. Very friendly staff. There is a beautiful pool area, although we did not use. It would be great for children!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! We are glad that we were able to make your visit a happy experience.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The hotel is great. The staff is amazing and helpful beyond compare. The rooms and facilities are terrific. The bathrooms are....problematic.

When we checked in, the front desk attendant was wonderful. Friendly is an understatement. He is genuinely nice to guests and not just going through the motions. It was so refreshing to be greeted by someone with such a great attitude and friendly personality.

We went to our room on the third floor and were quite happy with it. My husband and I were traveling on business related to his job, so we had a room for the two of us with a king sized bed. The room was furnished with a nice desk, a chair with ottoman and a huge 42 inch TV. We had just arrived from a 5 hour drive to get there, so both of us needed to make a quick stop into the bathroom. I called dibs on it first.

I walked in and was impressed with the huge shower and very modern design and decor. I turned around to close the door and realized there was no door. Or at least, it seemed that way. After a moment of us trying to figure out where it was, we realize it was designed to be sliding door. Only it was slid all the way into the wall with no way to get it out. No handles or anything. After getting the tips of my fingers around the very top part of the door I was able to pull it out from the wall. Problem solved, right? Not really.

I rolled the door closed and it hit the wall and bounced back. It doesn't shut. The door (which is on a track) does not align up with the frame, so the door doesn't shut. After a few moments, we realized we could get the bathroom door to close if someone from the outside pushed inward on the door while someone else slid it closed. We tried it and it worked. Then we realized there was no way back out.

There's no handle or anything on the door to turn or pull on. Just a round latch that you can't get your fingers around to help you open the door. Both my husband and I spent about 5 minutes pulling and pushing on the door from both sides before we were able to get it open to free me from the inside.

We thought this HAD to be a fluke. So we switch places and he went on the inside of the door and I went to the outside. We pushed it shut then tried to open it. 15 minutes later we were able to get him freed. At this point I figured it was time to call guest services. We must just have a room with a quirky door and figured we might be able to get moved to another room with a working door.

When I called the attendant was super friendly, but let me know this was an issue with all the doors. I could move rooms, but the bathrooms had all just been remolded and they were all like this. He offered to get a hold of someone from maintenance to send them to our room to see if they could do something to help it. He called them, but they didn't have someone with the supplies to work on it until the next day.

I figured it was such a nice place, a faulty bathroom door wasn't that big if a deal. We just wouldn't shut the door, since it wasn't aligned up correctly to shut anyway. However after the ordeal with the door, I then realized that the door was designed with a frosted glass panel on it too. About 80% of the door is this panel. So one on the outside of the bathroom can see the silhouette of someone inside the bathroom. The door is right in front of the toilet, so with the right lighting, it seems you get to watch the shadow of your roommate using the toilet.

Between the door not shutting, locking people in and being partially transparent, I have to wonder why they changed the doors from traditional bathroom doors. The bathroom is sectioned off and private for a reason. This design seems to have taken away much of one's typical bathroom privacy.

The next morning I tried to ignore my annoyance with the bathroom and decided to get a shower before we left. My husband warned me that the shower leaked like crazy, and had made a huge pool on our bathroom floor when he used it. So I went in and found all our towels being used to mop up the floor. I then tried to start the shower to get it warm. We were staying during some of the coldest times of the year. It is late January in Minnesota and the temperatures outside are WAY below sub zero. So this makes water going through pipes really cold until the hot water has been turned on. It's that way every where you stay in Minnesota right now, even at home. The problem I found was trying to get the water turned on without getting hit with a ton of freezing cold water.

The way the shower is designed, half of it opens up and the other half is a solid glass panel. It opens on the farthest section away from the faucet. The shower is so huge that the only way to reach the faucet to turn the water on was to get all the way in the shower and stand there and get hit by the freezing cold water and jump out wet and cold to wait for the water to heat up. I kept jumping in and out getting hit by the cold water, trying to adjust the temperature to hot. After about 5 minutes or so of this and the water not warming up, I gave up and got dressed, I would just take a shower when I got home that night.

I was so baffled by these bathrooms in this hotel. It such a nice place, but it's like someone made using the bathroom a complicated task. Can't shut doors, get locked in when you do, have your roommate see what you're doing while you're in there, and have to be hosed down with freezing cold water over and over in an effort to get the shower turned on to use it. Then if you can use it, you create a swimming pool on your bathroom floor.

This would be one awesome hotel, if they would just put in a NORMAL bathroom.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the many other aspects of our hotel. I also want to thank you for the detailed review of our new bathrooms. We are eagerly looking for input from our guests about our newly designed rooms. Details like the ones you offer are tremendously helpful. Some designs look good on paper but then we need to have real travelers use them and put them to the test so that we can discover how to adjust them to make the best experience possible. We have our engineering team reviewing your suggestions and examining each room. Thank you again for all that you have shared and I am hoping that when you come back to visit you will enjoy the improvements.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Recently stayed the night here with family, before heading on vacation. I have stayed here twice before and this stay was just as good. The rooms are updated and very clean with a 40" LCD TV. The pool area is nice and the hot tub is always the right temperature. The staff are extremely helpful, especially Travis and they treat the IHG members especially well. I will continue to say here when ever I am in the area

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mdhokenson
Thanks! We all appreciate the kind words. We simply want to create a fun and comfortable place for you to call home when you are away from your actual home. Thank you for the review and we will look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this Crowne Plaza. Our room was quite comfortable. The public spaces are very nice. The pool area is great. And I liked the convenient parking. It's a great location right off I-94. We actually secured the room by bidding on Priceline which made it an awesome stay!! Very nice at an ultra reasonable price!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ultra reasonable price?!?!?! Sounds like we need to raise our prices! No, I am joking. We always want our guests to get their monies worth. We are all very happy to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your visit. The next time you visit our hotel, I hope I am there to greet you in person. Thank you again for the truly wonderful review.