“Home Away from Home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Troy, Michigan
“Home Away from Home”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times while visiting my son who lives in the area. Whenever I come to Minneapolis I stay at this hotel. The location is very close to the airport. You have easy access to many restaurants and the Mall of America via the freeway or American Blvd. The hotel has an awesome hot breakfast buffet. The rooms are clean and roomy. On this particular vacation I stayed overnight on three separate stints while touring nearby areas. On one of my overnights I was fortunate to stay in a room that was recently remodeled, and it was quite nice. The television reception and the free Internet access were awesome as well. There is a free shuttle that picks you up or drops you off at the Mall of America and/or the airport. The hotel parking is free also. Oh, I need to mention that they have a nice indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi. I have always enjoyed my stay at this hotel. And before I forget, the staff is very friendly and welcoming. The checkout was smooth and the lady that was working at the front desk wished me a happy, safe trip home. Kudos to her. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Minneapolis/Bloomington area. I consider this hotel as my home away from home whenever I am in the MSP area. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms I stayed in have been clean and roomy. But, if you prefer showers and don't need...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank IL_PADRINO2008
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you! What a great review! Thank you for making our home your home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I LOVE this hotel! The staff is what truly makes this hotel a 5 star hotel. I stay here often for work as well as utilize their meeting spaces. Every morning Ashley and Courtney welcome me with a warm smile and make sure my stay is going well. Jill and Morgan the event coordinators are equally amazing. They check in daily to make sure my meeting space and arrangments are exceeding my expectations. George the greeter and the resturant and staff are great as well. If your interested in having lunch or dinner I highly recommend the Grilled Chicken Wrap and Pasta bar they have every Thursday. They have a nice pool, fitnees center, super comfy beds and a shuttle that brings you to all the action at MOA. The hotel is truly a gem and I recommend it to all: Business Professionals, Families and anyone looking to relax for a few days.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for the great review! This review and you are so appreciated.
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I wanted to LOVE this hotel. After reading all the reviews, I really thought this was going to be a perfect stay. It was not, not because of anything major, just a lot of small things that left me feeling so, so about this hotel. Overall we had a pleasant stay. The room was clean when we checked in, staff was friendly and helpful...
I'll start from the beginning. We had a wait for a bit for the shuttle when we arrived at the airport, really not that big of a problem. Once we got on, we quickly made our way to the hotel. Check in was fast and our room was upgraded. We ate at the restaurant and service was friendly. Food was great. My son loved the chicken quesadillas. The next day we took the first shuttle over to the Mall of America, 10a. We shopped all day, deciding to take the 620p shuttle back to the hotel. We had plans to meet up with friends at 7p. The shuttle was about a 15 minute ride and that gave us time to drop our bags off and freshen up a bit before we head back out. Shuttle arrived at 625p (not bad) but once on the shuttle the driver advised us she had to pick up someone at the airport. After the airport pickup, she then advised us she had to pick up someone in an office park. We got a tour we really didn't want. We finally got back to the hotel at 7p. We get off the bus, go to our room, open the door and our room had not been touched. No beds made, nothing refreshed, just as we had left it. If one of these things would have happened, I think I would have forgotten about it, but the combination left us not loving this hotel. Would I stay here again? Possibly, the staff was very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you. This is a very fair review given the information you have shared. I am anxious to use this review for training purposes. We are always trying to illustrate to the staff how the small things change a guests perception of the experience they are having. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will stay with us again.
Thief River Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stay here often. It's generally very good. When you book, if you or your children are not going to swim, ask for the west tower away from the pool. Quieter, no chlorine. To do that, make sure you speak to the hotel directly. The IHG 800# doesn't seem to effectively communicate with the local hotel.

The business center is convenient and free for printing if necessary. The wifi does kludge up in the evening so we couldn't execute a GoTo Meeting call. It is free and generally working. The staff in the restaurant for breakfast is quick and accommodating and they've been there a long time - that's always a good sign!

Room Tip: The poolside rooms both sound and smell like poolside rooms. The west tower is the better choice fo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share this great review. We appreciate you staying with us and sharing advice. Only one thing though, the pool is in the west tower and it is the south tower that is away from the pool. Good advice though. We hope you come back to stay with us again.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff, from the transfer drivers tight through to the housekeepers. Not only friendly, but very bubbly. Room was clean and bathroom was quite adequate' size wise. We stayed on the women's only floor which had a few nice little perks and was accessible only by key card. Fitness centre was fine but not enough cups for the water. Overall the stay was very nice

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sythie
Thank you for the great review. We love reading posts like this. Thanks again!
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. Your front desk person Courtney was very accommodating. She allowed us to check in a bit early so we could head to the Minnesota State Fair. Your beds and pillows were HEAVEN!!! I didn't want to crawl out in the morning. The hotel was also extremely quiet. Thanks so much for the great stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkwinks
Glad to know that you will be back! Thank you for the review!
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for 2 adults and one child over 2 years of age (we also have a 5 month old). Our room had 1 double bed and was handicap accessible, meaning, a sit down shower in a large bathroom situated in a small room. The bigger problem, one small double bed to fit 2 adults and a child. I went to the front desk and explained the issue and could only assume we were given the wrong room. The receptionist said there was nothing they could do as we booked 3rd party and were given what was available. I explained that the room didn't meet the criteria of 3 people, which I had booked. And one of us would have to sleep on the floor. She kept saying we booked 3rd party and they had no rooms available for the 3 nights we booked. She made no effort to help us and made me feel less of a customer because I booked 3rd party. A customer is still a customer when they are booked in your hotel. I was offered a roll away bed which did not fit in our room so could not be used. We contacted Hotwire and they agreed we should have been given a room with a minimum of 2 double beds. Thankfully they cancelled our room at the Crowne Plaza and set us up in a great hotel with fantastic customer service. If your hotel looks down upon 3rd party bookings, you shouldn't agree to use them.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheri B
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We do not look down on third party bookings. We give them the same thing as everyone else, we give them what they booked. If you had booked a king bed and wanted to fit five people in the room, we would give that to you. If you booked two beds for only one person, we would give that to you. We don't argue with your travel plans. You made the reservation and we trust that you make arrangement for what you need. You made a reservation to receive ANY type of room that we had left when you arrived to the hotel in return for a room at nearly half price. We assume that you make reservations for what you and your family will need and be comfortable with. Unfortunately you booked a reservation for a run of the house room over a time when we were sold out. The terms and conditions of your reservation with Hotwire are listed on their website and it does state that you will not have an option for room type and it will be based on availability of a hotel upon arrival. If you do not like how Hotwire handles making reservations at hotels, then don't use them. The entire purpose of third party sites is to fill the rooms that have not been sold on the day of arrival. The enticement is a severely discounted rate. We offered all that we could but aside from a room with two beds, which had all been booked by people that paid to have those rooms specifically, there was nothing more that we could do. But instead of having you have an uncomfortable night we helped you contact Hotwire and we refunded your reservation so that you could stay at another hotel that still had rooms with two beds open and available. Your reservation was non-changeable and non-refundable but we did not keep your money but instead helped you to be refunded and stay at another hotel.