“Nice hotel, but pricey at times”

Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel, but pricey at times”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I've stayed here a few times before, and this was also for business, so the rate was pricey (Still not as bad as the full service Marriott down the road). This location is good for being convenient to the airport. Check-in was a breeze and I learned they have free wifi (a plus). My assigned room was on a top floor facing the highway, so I turned on the fan to drawn out the noise. The room was nice, fairly large, with work desk area, flat screen tv, and king bed. The bath was split with a counter/sink and a separate main lav/shower. Although there is a restaurant/bar in the lobby, there is an Outback Steakhouse in the Comfort Inn next door. Very convenient. All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Hungarian first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I liked my stay here a lot. It's also right next to the Mall Of America which I went to one night with my coworkers to eat and have a little fun. Nothing like a 34 year old screaming on a roller coaster in the middle of a mall.

THe hotel itself is clean and updated. There's a cool bar that shows the games and has an equally cool bartender behind the helm. There's a decnet in-house restaurant that has fish and steaks. Better than Outback Steakhouse, which is right next door.

If you are just stopping for the night or for an extended period in this area for business, this is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My wife and daughter and I stopped here on the way to North Dakota. It is a very nice hotel, with friendly staff and comfortable rooms. The beds were soft--a little too soft for me, actually, so I slept rather poorly that night. That is no fault of the hotel, however. Just my back. :) There is even a shuttle that takes you to the airport, or, if you desired, to the Mall of America. They do have a restaurant in the hotel, but the prices seemed a little steep, so we did not get a chance to see how the food was. But because there is a restaurant, there was no free continental breakfast--and if there was, we were not informed about it. But that's okay, it was still a nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Drynian
Seattle
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I am usually a fan of Courtyard by Marriott, especially for business travel. However, the key for business travel is a good night sleep. If you can't deliver a good night sleep you don't deserve three stars. My experience with this hotel started as I walked to my room - it was dingy. The sodium lights in the halls and the wear resistant wall paper give the sense of a cheper hotel, but that is not why I am giving this hotel such a low rating.

It started at 5AM the next day. The alarm clock went off at max volume, tuned in between two radio stations. I hit the roof and was so angry I had trouble getting back to sleep. Given that every hotel has a different alarm clock, it is the responsibility of the hotel to make sure thay are turned off after each stay. That agered me, but that is not why I gave the hotel one star.

That evening, after returning to the hotel at about 10 PM having been at customer meetings, my roomed smelled as if someone had smoked in it. At first I thought I was smelling things. But, it turns out I was right. I called the front desk, they promptly sent a manager up (to check to see if I had been the one smoking) and she concurred that there was cigarette smell in my room. How does that happen? The manager was so concerned and apologetic, that Marriott still had not earned their single star.

I was moved to a new room and went immediately to bed. Until I went to set the alarm clock. It was unplugged, and as any frequent traveler knows you can never find the outlet where the clocks are plugged in. Upset, I turned on the light, called down for a wakeup, and stewed while I finally went to sleep.

But that is not all. The next morning I got in the shower, and I could not turn the water on. I was in a handicap room (which I hate) so I thought there was some special trick. Turns out there is a special trick - turn the handled with as much force as you can. Whomever turned off the shower made sure it would stay off. I was thinking that if a handicap person with any sort of arm injury had this room there would be no way they would be able to take a shower.

On my way out I mentioned all of this to the assistant manager who was apologetic. But someone smoking in my room when I am gone is unacceptable. I told my assistant to never book me here again. This pains me because I have status at Marriott.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I would not say it is within walking distance from Mall Of America, but darn close. What a great relaxing stay, from the moment we checked in we were greated with a smile. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. We ate dinner one night at Jakes, the restaurant located in the hotel and again a friendly welcome and reaaly great food!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The staff was outstanding. The hotel is a basic Marriott Courtyard by the airport. I had to stay at the last minute for work and it was a pleasant experience for two nights. I would not do more than that but for in and out business it is fine. The rooms are clean and the bed is acceptable as is the bathroom and everything else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I have stayed here several times and love the location. It is so close to the Mall of America and airport with a free shuttle to both. The rooms are comfortable and very clean! When I stayed here last weekend I had two small maintenance concerns that when I mentioned them, were fixed immediately!
My only advice would be to request a room on the opposite side of the building from the interestate if you are a light sleeper, some of those trucks roll by at 3am and are quite loud!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the building from the interstate, it will be much quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business