“all was good other than mice in the walls”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
IL
“all was good other than mice in the walls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Until about midnight my stay had been very good - on the executive floor (13th) the rooms were very spacious, they had a nice lounge with food in the evening so I didn't need to go out for dinner. Then about midnight I started hearing mice in the walls right behind my headboard. And I said mice instead of mouse because there were definitely several. (I live near a cornfield at home, so I know this sound when I hear it.) This time it was so loud that I couldn't get back to sleep and ended up turning on the TV for the rest of the night just to have background noise.

If that hadn't happened, everything with this hotel would have been fine. The parking ramp is a long ways from where the hotel rooms are, so keep that in mind if you're traveling with a family or a lot of luggage.

Also, I didn't see her name but there was a very helpful girl behind the desk who volunteered to give a guest a ride to the airport after he just missed the shuttle. I would have rather seen him miss his flight as he was one of those guys who thinks he can show up at the airport at the last minute and still make his flight.....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank tc3399

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a quick train ride from the airport and is a nice hotel. It's a bit cramped in the lobby, but the rooms are nice and clean. I was just here for business so didn't care about anything else, but it'd be easy to ride the train into downtown Minneapolis or over to the Mall of America; the hotel was running a shuttle to the latter, as well. There's also a restaurant on-site that has a selection of soft drinks in a refrigerated case.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
St. Paul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stay here every time my friend is in from Boston. In the past month we stayed her twice. I like it cause of the bar. Well it's mostly just the bartender if I knew how to spell her name I would give her the credit and also the waitress Lindsey if I spelt her name right. Those are the two many reasons why we love this place and keep coming back. We can get sloppy drunk and have never been kicked out. The drinks are strong and good. I just wish when I drop like 300-400 in the bar in one night I could get like a free breakfast hahaha. Oh and the rooms are nice but we always get a two bed suite. I'll be back.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Perham, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had very similar impressions to the other reviewers. The A/C is so loud I thought it was planes landing. The parking is odd and terrible in bad weather. The guest check in parking is crowded and unsafe with the shuttles taking up two full lanes. The restaurant is decent and the beds are comfy and the rooms are clean. The amenities are nice and the beds are duvet'ed with double sheets. It was centrally located to everything we wanted to do. Road construction BEWARE!!! It makes it difficult to find the correct way in the dark and rain if you are unfamiliar with the area. The little park outside is beautiful!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My son and I were staying in Bloomington to visit Mall of America and go to a show in downtown Minneapolis. I've stayed at Crowne Plazas before and it's been a mixed experience, so I looked at the reviews for this property carefully. It seemed to be okay, and the lure of a suite when sharing a room with a 20 y/o college student couldn't be overlooked! I have to say I was pleased with our experience. The room was big, beds were clean and fresh, and the bathroom spotless. The only thing I didn't like was that the carpet was noticeably dirty and needed a good shampoo. Also, we expected a locked floor and it was not. The exercise room was a wonderful surprise - huge for a hotel and and the equipment I used worked and was in very good condition. They have free ear buds if you forget yours, along with the standard towels and water. My son said the pool was clean. There was free parking, free internet that worked well and it was close to the Mall (we walked back and forth - though there is a hotel shuttle). Staff was friendly too - especially Kathy.

Walton, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked last minute on Priceline. The price was good.
The hotel has both good and not so good qualities. But, overall the experience was good.
The Good:
The hotel had new carpeting.
The check in was helpful and fast.
The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.
The hotel is very close to the airport, so you would expect to hear airplanes but we did not hear them, just watched them land.
The pool was big and the hot tub was nice.
Good full size towels in the pool area.
Nice work out room.
It was convenient to the Light Rail.
Nice TV in the room.

Not so good:
The parking situation was strange. You definitely want to unload your stuff at the check in lobby because it is difficult to get to your car based on how the hotel is designed.
The hotel does not look nice from the outside-absolutely no curb appeal.
Room smelled of old smoke.
Our room had a terrifically noisy air conditioner and a noisy, broken toilet.
The pool area was not clean and the pool water was cold.
No free breakfast even though the internet booking said that parking and breakfast was included.

1 Thank Rhonda W
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you're staying near the Mall of America or the MSP Airport, this hotel is just fine. The location is wonderful, easy access to the MOA and MSP Airport. The parking is odd for the hotel, as that it is on the top, uncovered floor of a garage. I couldn't imagine parking there in winter with snow. As you enter the door from the garage, the smell of chlorine from the pool can be a bit much. However, the gym is incredible, great workout.

Room Tip: Great hotel if you want to shop at the MOA