“Preception is Reality! Great Hotel, Heartbreaking Experience!”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 14 January 2014

First off, this is a good hotel, when it comes to convenience to the MOA, airport and other local attractions. The front desk personnel, room quality, fitness/pool area were all very good. My only issue came at the hotel restaurant, where I feel as though I was racially profiled by the manager. After swimming with my family, I was super hungry and went to restaurant, and had a question about the portion size of a piece of chicken that was on the menu. The manager tried to show using his hands, yet, hand size isn't always accurate, until using weight like 7 oz, etc. After going back and forth about the size, I decided that I wanted double portion. After telling him this, he looks at me and says it's not me are discussing fried chicken. I looked him and told him where is this coming from fried chicken is not even listed in the menu, are you saying this because I am African American with a Southern accent, that I was looking for fried chicken. He was embarrassed that I called him out, but clearly, my feelings were hurt about this. To avoid more of an issue, I left and returned 15 minutes later to pick up my food, to see that didn't fix my order the way I wanted, and gave me a 15% discount, was that admission of guilt? I was going to send my food back yet, I didn't know what was going to happen to it if I sent it back. In closing, this is a good hotel and I stayed here in the past, but I am concerned about the way that I was treated especially with spending hard earned money on my room. Clearly disappointed...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JLewis91

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having missed my connecting flight on Delta, I found myself on the shuttle to the Crowne Plaza. The gentleman at the front desk at 9 p.m. on a Friday night was great. He put me on the top floor with a great view and very nice room. The linens and pillows were terrific. Being used to HiDef TV, I think this one was not. I had a nice bath with good towels and complementary toothbrush; they even have bath robes! The drawbacks: when I went down for breakfast, my ears were assaulted by the worst background music that was too loud. Seriously––what demographic was this noise aimed at? Do not get the breakfast buffet; order something freshly made for the same or cheaper price. The bacon and sausage were low grade. The scrambled eggs had no seasoning and little taste. The French toast: terrible. The one thing that a cook could not ruin: the fruit was passable. In summary: great rooms (although the doors slam and hall noise should be dampened); great bathrooms and towels; nice view; good staff; close to mass transit light rail; but bad breakfast buffet and terrible music.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Searched for hotel on Hotwire after canceled flight at MSP around 5PM. Free shuttle to and from the airport and the Mall of America. Upscale hotel with Motel 6 price courtesy of Hotwire. Very comfortable king sized bed and lots of pillows. Flat screen TV. Heat worked fine even though it was so cold outside that ice was forming on the inside of the window frames. We had a handicapped room so the bathroom was huge and had a high toilet. Room was clean and comfortable. Good wireless was free, unusual for an upscale hotel. Staff was very helpful and checked our backpacks after we checked out so we could take the shuttle to Mall of America. One person complained of "crinkly sheets". That was because the used high count cotton sheets that were very comfortable. Had burgers, fries and nachos and a couple of beers in the restaurant. Food and service were good.

Room Tip: Don't pay for transportation to Mall of America to the airport. Take the hourly shuttle to MOA a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

By the time my family arrived at the front desk we were exhausted, hungry and more than a little cranky. That is until we met Liisa (yes, with two i's). She made our check in so easy and she was awesome. She ensured that we got a lovely room and she certainly ensured our return to this hotel with her wonderful demeanour and quality of customer service. The hotel itself was clean, close to MOA, and the rest of the staff was also very friendly.The only downside was the hot tub. It was a bit cold and didn't have enough jets. We will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Minneapolis!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stopped by for a few nights and had a great time. Enjoyed the restaurant and the pool. Nice place and great for a family. Really willing to accommodate any need you might have, quiet and is in a great location for lots of fun in Bloomington and areas around.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank TravelhappyWyoming
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Good shuttle service to/from airport and MoA. BTW: you can use the in-airport hotel free phone near the information counter to get the shuttle to pick you up.

It had a certain charm thanks to the very friendly staff. The lounge wasn't bad in a provincial sort of way. Lounge staff was very friendly, welcoming and truly interested in a chat.

Bar wasn't great and at breakfast think Donna Summer "She works hard for her money ...". Be prepared for tasty, American, deep fried breakfast.

It is what it said above the door, a previous Holiday Inn re-branded to Crowne Plaza in Minneapolis. Nothing special, if not a bit bland. However, it was immaculately clean and it showed that staff & management clearly had some pride in its product.

Rooms were very 80s in dark colours and fairly floral. Bathroom was very beige and the long neon lit corridors a bit scary. Aircon was efficient, albeit noisy. Note: there is no safe in the room, which I personally find is a shortcoming.

Would I come back? Yes, why not ... for a night or two, not more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear Pro-Flyer,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff friendly and our airport shuttle useful. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had a last minute idea to go Christmas shopping at the MOA on a Sat/Sun the middle of December. We made a last minute reservation. The front desk staff was friendly and check in was painless. Our room was clean. The parking is in an attached ramp with a top floor skyway type enterence to the hotel. From the "skyway" you can look down into the pool area and see anyone in the pool or hottub. We weren't too keen on that part. Our room was fine except that no matter how hard we tried to make the seal, we could not prevent water from spraying out of the shower and collecting into a nice pool pool on the floor between the toilet and the tub. By a nice pool I mean the depth of 1/2" deep. You could see that they had caulked the area heavily along the baseboard so it is a known issue. Overall though, our stay was great! The hotel was great! and the staff was friendly! Oh yeah - We were on the 3rd floor and did have an issue with closing the inner curtain. This however turned out to be 100% our error as we didnt see that the inner main curtain was pushed all the way back and tucked behind another curtain that only covered a couple feet on either side of the window - Thank goodness we were on an elevated floor - The office building 100 yards away may have had a non pg show that evening -Oh well - Not a bad hotel for the price!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear RKJMosher,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be friendly. We're proud of our staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A