“They took my money but gave me no room”

and 1 more site!
Americas Best Value Inn Brainerd
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brainerd
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“They took my money but gave me no room”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked a room through expedia to stay at the America's Best Value Inn. I needed a place to sleep on a long road trip, and thought to plan ahead by booking a room online before heading to Brainerd. When I arrived at the hotel, they told me that there was no room and that someone should have called me. I had already been charged for the room...

I was worried that I'd have to sleep in my car because the receptionist told me that "all the rooms in brainerd are full" - and when I asked for her to help me find another "Americas best value inn" in the region - she simply gave me a generic 800 number to call myself which was only a message line - not a customer service line. I couldn't use their office phone and I couldn't use their internet. (I was not a guest).

This terrible establishment left a person with no place to stay, $110 poorer, with no apology and no help. STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!

AND - to make matters worse, after working with Expedia to negotiate a refund for the room I didn't get - they couldn't offer me a refund because NO ONE AT THE HOTEL WOULD ANSWER THE PHONE to verify that they never had a room for me. So irresponsible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lozenge E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This place was the worst place I have experienced at any price. Is clean and polite too much to ask at $90.00 a night. Our first room was so filthy they moved us to a different one. The staff under trained or just have no sense of decoram. They advertise clean and comfortable but fail to deliver and have the nerve to offer a discount on a future visit. I don't know if this is true for the whole Americas Best Value Inn chain but this one was enough too keep me away.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank nknaff

Travellers are raving about these Brainerd hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Oh m where to begin. First you gotta feel sorry for the person who works at the desk~~they get paid BELOW minimum wage. The one poor employee had to be summoned by using the phone and calling her room. The owners of the hotel should be reported. The hotel was stinky. The rooms need to be updated, sorely updated. They need to use a different cleaning product that doesn't have that awful smell. The doors need locks. Ours was broken we used a chair in front of the door. The quick start breakfast is very poor~~and there wasn't any breakfast on the weekdays~~just on the weekend. Oh yeah the towels were stained as were the bed sheets. I am not sure why we didn't pick up our stuff and move to another hotel~but will not make that mistake again. Move if not to your liking~~the owners of this hotel should not make any money because they clearly don't reinvest it to update the place.

Room Tip: don't stay there save your self
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mysticgypsy
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 28 December 2012

They are running this on the cheap. The day I was there, there was a sign that read Branierd, Minnesota at the front desk. How do you mess up the spelling of the town your business is in? As far as the hotel goes, I was there for four days and only saw three other people in the hotel. And one of the three was the hotel clerk. I think this may be a statement about the hotels reputation. My room could have used a good cleaning, the sink drained slowed, and I had a nice view of what appeared to be a makeshift junk yard. Oh well, the heater worked good and it was December, so I wasn't going anywhere.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SoonersPass
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I made a reservation for 2 rooms for 2 nights and did not bring the confirmation along with me - I thought the amount was higher, but since I couldn't check..... It turns out I was overcharged by $30.00. That was three months ago and I am still waiting for the refund. I have not let the issue drop and have been requesting the refund repeatedly.
That aside, one of the rooms rented had a TV that didn't work: they could not fix or replace it because the motel was full... The next morning we found that the bathroom did not have a shower curtain. The make your own waffles apparantly only happens on weekends because on Monday there was no mix and the waffle machine was off. They had rather sorry looking mini donuts and bread to toast & cereal for their continental breakfast & no PB.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank PK R
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Location nothing nearby drive into town about 10-15mns. First appearance inside was poor settee looked in need of a good clean as did breakfast room chairs. We had booked ahead however. Asked for non -smoking and was offered kingsize or two queens. Said I would have kingsize, Given the handicap accessible room which was fine, good sized room table and two chairs. Room and bathroom were clean.

Bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Breakfast had better choice than expected with cereals, muffins, bagels and toast. Juice and coffee plus jams, peanut butter, waffles and cream cheese. Wi-fi access was slow but worked OK.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mtp123
Monticello, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Heads up review written by a non smoker in a smoking room. Room smells heavy after smoke and what i would say is dog. Have stayed here before when it was an econo lodge and had good luck then. Got in late and was told this was the last room even thought I had asked for non smoking. The room is just not good. I may stay elsewhere next trip to Brainerd.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank ScottyTravels1972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brainerd
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
AmericInn Baxter
AmericInn Baxter
#8 of 8 in Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Brainerd? Share your experiences!