“It just gets better...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Boldon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“It just gets better...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

It is lovely when you stay at a hotel regularly and instead of the staff getting used to you and becoming complacent, they just seem to get better.
I have reviewed the Quality before, great food, a great atmosphere and for me, a great location for my ridiculous amounts of travel.
To review every time that I stay would far too repetitive and not helpful, but having stayed again last week, I thought it important that I update Trip Advisor.
I stayed for two nights, firstly the food; excellent! I had never experienced an issue with the food in the past but to be honest now it is a clear step on from previous visits in 2013. I’m not sure if It’s a new chef or team but the difference was noticeable at both breakfast and evening meal, both in menu choice and delivery. The staff were great as always, well presented, clean, not imposing and quietly efficient; and I'll take the opportunity now to say "thanks" to the bar staff for remembering what my drink is, always a nice touch when it’s just served with a “usual sir”? .
The hotel remains clean and fresh with cool music humming away in the background, fresh flowers and attention to detail, which is often so easily lost a couple of years after a re opening, and not showing any obvious signs of battle scars from what was no doubt a very busy festive period. Finally and for once, I actually got into to the leisure centre this trip, it’s great, its clean, modern and organised with all equipment working. The pool is a great standard for a “hotel” pool.
I have worked away from home for many years and have had many "regular" hotels, this is the best. As many can relate, It’s hard being away from a wife and very young children for days at a time, but the Quality team are good, very good, yes I can see from other comments that occasionally there may be the odd bad day, who doesn’t have them?, but for me every visit they try to make me feel more at home. Whoever leads this team has got it right and I've stayed in a lot of hotels.. Thanks again and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Ben D
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Ben D,

Thank you so much for your recent review and I am so pleased that we were able to give you another stay to remember (for all the right reasons). It is always pleasing to receive such feedback and your comments have been passed to the team, really glad we continue to 'make you feel at home'.

I do hope we will see you back at QHB very soon.

Warm Regards

Paolo Franchi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I joined the fitness club a few months ago and I have nothing bad to say about the gym or the pool,sauna or the steam room I would happily advise anyone to join the hotel fitness club as it is a great place to go to if you want to relax

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Hdhtdyfes
Dear Hdhtdyfes,

Dear Hdhtdyfes,

What a wonderful review of your interaction with QHB, really pleased to hear you enjoyed your visits here – keep an eye on our Facebook Page and Website for fantastic accommodation offers throughout the year (which you are entitled to a discount on being a member!)

I will also make sure I pass on your kind words to our Leisure Club Manager and Team!

Hope to see you again soon!

chelle1972
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I went here with a friend for the living social deal of use of spa facilities and sunday lunch.
The changing rooms were small but clean...the pool appeared clean but we did not get to use it due to a large amount of families being in and swimming lessons taking place. The sauna was very small and with two people already in there it was a little too cosy for comfort. So we headed into the jacuzzi....however there were lots of bubbles on the top, prob caused by body lotions etc which I appreciate can happen...however I cant excuse the thick brown scum that had built up near the stair entry into the jacuzzi or the fact that the bubbles on top were also coated Iin brown scum ( this had clearly taken some time to build up) Needless to say we left the area swiftly and reluctantly got changed feeling very disappointed with our spa experience. We then left the hotel for couple of hours and returned for lunch.
The restaurant area was very nice the restaurant staff were friendly and welcoming and sunday lunch was tasty....but overall the whole experience left us very disappointed

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chelle1972
Dear Chelle1972,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our TripAdvisor page. Whilst I am disappointed you have made no attempt to contact me at the hotel to discuss your issues, we always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad.

I am glad however that you enjoyed your interaction with our Restaurant and found our Team to be 'very nice, friendly and welcoming'! I hope you will agree that your experience was not typical of our usual high levels of service and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, also for your very constructive criticism.

Kind Regards,

Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé loved this hotel. He recently proposed to me here and the staff were excellent, so excellent it made us want to hold our wedding reception here.

We were so excited that we insisted our family and close friends come to the hotel for a meal with us to help us celebrate. There were 20 of us plus 2 babies.

All was going well, me and my partner were checked into our gorgeous spacious room(210), with plenty of room for our travel cot for the baby. The only problem was the window wouldn't shut properly leaving a cold breeze in our room but we like it cool so this didn't bother us. The baby was nice and warm with his cozy blankets on.

Anyway, at 6pm we went down to the bar where we ordered drinks and waited for everyone. I went to reception and spoke to the lovely, friendly lady there and booked us the 'linger for longer' offer (late checkout and Sunday lunch). I also booked and appointment to view the hotel on the open day when it will be suitably dressed for a wedding. I had a lovely chat with the receptionist and another lady about weddings and I told them I wanted to hold my reception here and I enquirer about different dates. I left the conversation feeling positive and again, very excited about booking our wedding.

Our family and friends arrived and we were shown (by the restaurant supervisor who is a lovely woman) to our table. I loved that there were little crystal like decorations and glitter on the table. A lovely little touch.

We ordered our food and waited for it to come. This was where everything fell apart. They sent the wrong kind of pizza to 3 of us who ordered it. I personally sent mine back because I can't bear to have pineapple on my pizza (I had ordered ham, chicken and mushroom). They brought it back a couple of minutes later still without mushrooms and STILL bits of pineapple (clearly they'd just picked what they could off but missed some!!) so I sent it back again. I was told that there would be a bit of a wait for a new one. So by the time my pizza came the rest of the party had finished their food.

We also found that one of the chicken burgers was not cooked properly, chips were black and a steak was requested medium rare and came out burnt.

There also seemed to be confusion about things that were ordered including things being brought out that weren't ordered and so on as well as things being ordered that weren't received. The supervisor as well as the waitress couldn't be more apologetic and the under/over cooked meals, as well as the wrong pizzas, were deducted from the bill.

I can't stress how sad I am that I have to write this review as well as look for a new wedding venue because I couldn't bear to risk this happening on our wedding day. It ruined our engagement celebration.

I can't tell you how lovely the staff and surroundings are but somewhere along the line it all went wrong. A few members of our group also complained of bad tummies after the meal and into today.

All in all, on this occasion the bad outweighed the good. Maybe more staff and a new chef are what is needed because we couldn't fault anything else. If this was sorted I could possibly persuade my fiancé to reconsider for our wedding venue so I would appreciate some feedback from the hotel if possible?

Needless to say we did cancel our linger for longer offer as this was no longer required after the hassle the evening before.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca S
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Rebecca S,

Firstly please allow me to congratulate you both on your recent engagement. I was however disappointed to hear that your interaction with the Quality Hotel Boldon did not meet your expectations; however we always welcome any feedback, negative or positive. I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, rest assured it has been duly noted.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Quality Hotel Boldon and urge you to contact me direct at the hotel. I know you have an appointment at our upcoming Wedding Open Day in March, I will try and catch you then!

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Beautiful meal @ New Year, food was of a very high standard, however the evening was ruined by loud mouthed visitors-I say visitors because there were two options available on New Year's Eve-just to dine or to dine and stay.
These 'guests' were very boisterous at their tables-very demanding of staff, upset a couple of the waitresses and generally spoilt the occasion.
The food again was delicious however would not return this year simply down to the company in which attended this event.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jen W
Dear Jen W,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to hear you saw the New Year in with us…we have just about finalised details for our celebrations this year – more information coming very soon! Always good to hear one of our guests recognising the hard work our Team put in over the Festive season! Wishing you a somewhat belated New Year and I do hope you will reconsider your re-visit to QHB this year!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

It was the first time we have been to the Quality Hotel Boldon, but it will the last, we went out as a family celebration there was 17 adults 4 children, we were going to celebrate the Engagement of our son and his new fiancée, we had been looking forward to this meal all week we arrived for quarter to seven the time the meal was to be served it arrived at quarter to eight. yes it was busy but they new how big our party was going to be I'm just so glad it wasn't there wedding reception

DISGUSTING!!!! WRONG MEALS SENT OUT, COLD UNDER COOKED OVER COOKED Tasteless THE SERVICE WAS SHOCKING, When We Asked For Sauces It Was Banged Down In Front Of Us By VERY STROOPY YOUNG STAFF That Were Very Good at Giving Looks That Could KILL

Room Tip: Don't know what the rooms are like but if there anything like there restaurant I would stay clea...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aligstring
Dear Aligstring,

I was disappointed to hear that your interaction with the Quality Hotel Boldon did not meet your expectations; however we always welcome any feedback, negative or positive. I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, rest assured it has been duly noted.

Hebburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We went here for my brother's engagement meal instead of having a party, his wife to be was also about to book the wedding there until we ordered our meal! The waitress came to take our order and was very rude, then we had about a half hour wait which was fair as there was quite a few of us. However when the food came out the order was wrong x3 of us had ordered the ham chucked and mushroom pizza which when it came out was a ham and pineapple pizza .. When asked to take it back for the right pizza the waitress then brung out the same pizza with the pineapple half took off and still no mushrooms! The chips were burnt .. the chicken burgers were still pink in the middle and the food was tasteless! Overall very very rude staff! Disgusting food and shocking service .. Not worth the money and certainly not worth booking a wedding here I dread to think what the meal would of been like and how embarrassing it would have been on there wedding day! If I was you I would look to eat elsewhere!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
#2 of 11 in Sunderland
Hilton Newcastle Gateshead

Been to Quality Hotel Boldon? Share your experiences!