Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$82
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
US$73
Sir William Fox Hotel(South Shields)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$85
US$82
US$105
Sunderland Marriott Hotel(Sunderland)
US$111
  • Pool
Athol House(South Shields)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$72
US$70
Hotels.com
Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
US$74
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewssunday lunchxmas partyswimming poolsteam roomleisure facilitiesafternoon tealovely hotelgreat nightcouldn't faultroom was largethe ground floorone night stayfull englishgymweddingsunderlandasda
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Most complaints centre on the bathroom,* one guest left for one night as the shower in her room didn’t work & the shower she was shown to had drain problems, no shower for 5 nights is not acceptable.
Room 232: Water pressure not transferring from bath taps to overhead shower.
Room 241: Shower head broken
Room 239: Knob on shower won’t push up see *
No rubber safety mats supplied, if you have showers over baths these are essential.
Guest suffering from migraine went to shower and the shower broke & flooded all her dry clothes. Reception did offer to dry them but no apology.
Double bed instead of 2 singles and no single bedding available when beds were separated.
Guests special diet: 1 litre of organic soya milk ‘lost’, Found on day 4, lost again on day 6
Found in rooms on arrival, 1 pair of tights and protective paper layer from sanitary towel
Room 241: Bathroom vent running all night, bedside light bulb missing, problems reported but nothing was done.
Room 240: Shower head not connected to hose. Guest told that tea/coffee supplies not automatically topped up and have to be requested from reception. Told rooms only ‘done’ if on reception’s list?
I waited 10 minutes for pool towels while Duty Manager finished what he was doing, then dispatched someone to find some. On her return with a new bale she found two on the reception desk had been there all the time.
No attendant on duty in pool; is there not a legal requirement on health & safety rules?
No spin dryer supplied in changing rooms, male or female.
One hairdryer in female changing room is inadequate.
Hairband found in locker in female changing room.
Disco music in public areas not necessary (Have you ever surveyed guests to see if they want it?)
Noise level totally unacceptable in dining room on Friday night, the hen parties etc. weren’t even using the dining room.
The general attitude of staff was that we were a nuisance rather than guests. There was no guidance or supervision of young people on work experience. Duty managers addressing requests and complaints instead of delegating. Reception staff politely told guests their problem would be seen to but most didn’t have the training to know who to contact. As General Manager you must have staff in charge of kitchens, maintenance, housekeeping, leisure etc.
I’m not surprised at the messy attitude if you saw the state of the linen rooms and cleaning supply rooms.
However you do have a plus side;
1 Your location
2 Your excellent chef Chris, we have nothing but praise for the dinners.
3 The response to my first letter was that breakfast definitely improved but it could be even better if more thought was given to the flow and layout. Supplies ran out most days.
Although we are a group of retired people we have all had careers of responsibility and management including an MP, doctors and health professionals, senior civil servants, teachers and engineers. I belong to a Group Leaders Travel Organisation where experiences and opinions are shared with a view to upholding standards for the holidaying public.
I spoke to one of your regular business travellers who uses the hotel on a weekly basis purely because of its convenient location. He made the unprompted observation that the 4 star rating is not deserved.
Finally in view of the large party and high level of justifiable complaints I would have thought the manager would have had the courtesy to speak to me personally.

3  Thank peterBroadstairs
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

PeterBroadstairs,

Thank you for the detailed review of your interaction with QHB. I noticed you have copied your letter into your TripAdvisor Review, which I have responded to and mailed out to you twice, I truly hope you have now received my response.

In brief response to the main points highlighted in your review for the benefit of our TripAdvisor Readers;

- I must apologise for the issues a very small minority of the group encountered in a handful of our bathrooms, furthermore I must add that these were addressed right away as your guests reported any issues. I feel I should also add that our Head Housekeeper and Receptionist apologised and did in fact actually dry the two items (a t-shirt and brassiere) in our tumble dryer that were affected by the faulty shower. Following this, our Duty Manager repaired the shower immediately.
- Sorry you had to wait for towels before entering our leisure centre; we did however open the leisure club 15 minutes early for you which may have resulted in a slight delay in stocking of towels at our reception desk. I am glad to hear that the duty manager did delegate this task, contradictory to a statement made toward the end of your review. I feel I should also mention we have now purchased another hair dryer for the female changing rooms, thus allowing two guests to dry their hair at the same time. Sorry about the hair band you found in a locker in our changing rooms, however some of our guests do misplace items from time to time.
- I hope you can appreciate that the music choice is never going to be to everyone’s taste; however it is reflective of the hotel’s modern style, in which we aim to create a relaxed lounge environment with our very popular playlist. The playlist has been very carefully chosen to adapt to certain times of the day and is continually reviewed, I must add that a ‘disco genre’ does not feature on the playlist however.
- Admittedly our linen room does sometimes appear to be a ‘messy area’, as you can imagine at certain times of the day we have 82 rooms worth of bedding that are in the process of being changed over, by the end of the day these areas are tidy once more and ready for the next day’s service. One thing the Team here are proud of is our back of house areas; I always say that I should be able to walk a guest around our 'service areas' just like I would any front of house area. Hence the requirement to ensure they are kept clean and tidy.
- I would also like to add that I did in fact speak to you and a few members of the group each night as I greeted you in our lobby, asking whether you had had a good day and enquiring as to where you had been, at no point were any of the above issues raised following my correspondence which you highlight you received and were satisfied with after your first night.

I was however pleased to hear that you did enjoy your dining experience and I will of course pass on your compliments to our Head Chef.

To conclude, I am truly sorry that your expectations were not met on this occasion; however I can assure you that our trained Team take great pride in delivering outstanding service, reflective in the majority of our reviews, feedback and of course the Four Stars awarded by Visit England less than 12 months ago.

I hope you will agree that your experience was not typical of our usual high levels of service and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, also for your very constructive criticism.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Booked to see a tribute act with a group of friends . The venue room was lovely and spacious , not packed in like sardines like some of the venues I have visited. Lovely décor and finishing touches on the tables . The act were good , very entertaining and managed to get most people up dancing ..... I have to mention the food though and not in a positive light . It said buffet when booking but all that was on offer was chilli , and vegetarian chilli with rice and five potato wedges . The chilli was ridiculously spicy , our table left most of it and looking round other tables were the same . I've been to other events around about the same price range and had a three course meal . We had a brilliant night and are booking again for the dirty dancing night but I hope the food improves massively as it was extremely disappointing and mine had a hair in it !
Also wine is £16 a bottle which is a touch on the dear side , normally pay £12 to £14 at venues .

3  Thank Jones1106
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Jones1106,

Thank you so much for your review. Great to hear you loved the décor and entertainment! However I must apologise for the fact your food wasn't to your expectations. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally, so please contact me direct at the hotel at your earliest convenience.
Over all I am really pleased you and your group had a brilliant night and I look forward to speaking to you soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

What a hidden treasure. Pleasant staff, Wonderful swimming pool and spacious bedrooms. Pre booked breakfast when first arrived this will save you a little. handy for Stadium of light, Sunderland and surrounding areas.
Had not used this hotel chain before but would certainly use again. Rooms where ready when we arrived and all the staff were helpful Wished we had eaten at Hotel instead of Harvester Pub a few miles away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 123Familyman
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

123Familyman,

Great to hear you found a 'hidden treasure' in the North East, even more so to hear you would use us again! Next time you come be sure to eat at The Grill & Lounge - we always have fantastic offers and theme nights running! Keep up to date with us via our website or Facebook Page!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

From the moment we arrived as a group things went down hill. double bed in stead of two singles. Member of staff did not seem to care, and was rude. Meal times treated like a group of children. We would not be served unless we were all seated. So long and drawn out no time to meet up and chat afterwards. Continuous Boom boom(supposed music)from 07.00 until 23.00.. Waiters not trained how to wait correctly. As we were out from 08.30 until 18.30 touring Northumbria visiting smashing places and people evenings were awful.Never had time to use spa,pool or gym.

5  Thank Brenda W

Brenda W,

I was disappointed to hear that your interaction with the Quality Hotel Boldon did not meet your expectations last week; however we always welcome any feedback, negative or positive. I can only assume that this view was not on behalf of the whole booking as both myself and the Team received so many positive comments from your Group during your stay.

Having looked into your comments…

- The issue with the bed was resolved straight away by our Duty Manager when you arrived, I would also like to note that this was the instruction sent to us via the group booking.
- Sorry that you feel our Team ‘did not care’, however we do pride ourselves on the delivery of outstanding service. You have my assurance that we did our utmost to ensure that your group was looked after.
- From a service point of view at dinner, we only asked that we took an order from each table once the whole table had arrived, this was to ensure no member of the party was missed out and aimed to provide a slick and streamlined delivery of food. Dinner service took between 1-1.5 hours each night to serve three courses. This allowed you free time from at least 8pm each evening; nb. Our leisure club open till 9pm, I am sorry you didn't get to use this facility.
- Finally in relation to the music in our front of house music, sorry that you felt this way. I hope you can appreciate that the music choice is never going to be to everyone’s taste; however it is reflective of the hotel’s modern style, in which we aim to create a relaxed lounge environment with our very popular playlist.

Thank you for your comments and for your review on TripAdvisor.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently got married in May at The Quality Hotel and we have to say how amazing it was, the whole day from beginning to end was just perfect, all the staff were so lovely, they were there when ever you needed them but not in your way, the food was delicious and the service was superb, the ceremony room was breath taking, as was the room for the meal and for the evening, the comments and feedback from the whole day and night are still coming !! A prefect day we will never forget. Cant thank you all enough. Mr & Mrs Drysdale xx

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Drysdale7799
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Drysdale7799,

Over the moon with the review of your interaction with QHB from your Wedding day. It was a pleasure to have you guys celebrate with us and I really hope you will keep in touch with us.

Hope to hear from you soon,