“Lovely swim in Leisure Centre”

Quality Hotel Boldon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Boldon
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from visiting the swimming pool at QHB . Very relaxing atmosphere in such clean and pleasant surroundings. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Particularly enjoyed the spa. Would definitely recommend a visit - I will certainly go back

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank BarbieNewcastle
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

BarbieNewcastle

Great to hear you continue to use QHB and chose to post your very kind words on TripAdvisor! Would be great to meet you one day to thank you personally! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and used it as a base to explore the area, great location to all the main roads and close to the metro station too.

Our room was lovely, very modern and bathroom was nice. The leisure facilities are a bonus too after a long day sightseeing you can go for a swim.

We dinned in the restaurant twice, on the first night, the menu was limited as they didn't have half of the dishes, but what we did have was great.

There was a hiccup with our account regarding a pre auth, but that was soon sorted.

All the staff are very friendly and always willing to help or have a chat.

We will be returning after this successful trip and we really did enjoy our stay, so we will be back.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank razinsun85
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

razinsun85,

Thank you for choosing to stay at QHB recently, our location certainly lends itself to exploring the area. Delighted to hear you found our rooms lovely and bathrooms nice. Really sorry about the minor incident regarding your pre-auth upon check-in however you have my assurance this has now been addressed with the Reception Team to ensure this doesn't happen again!

Please do let me know if you choose to return to QHB as I would love to take the time to meet you and thank you personally for such a great review!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here very much. The hotel is lovely the staff are brilliant and very professional. The facilities are very good and very clean. will definitely be staying here again! The swimming pool, Hot Tub and Sauna are well worth using.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Scottr32

Scottr32,

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to QHB. Really hope you will keep your word and stay with us again soon, keep an eye on our website and Facebook page for special offers!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have read the reviews my friends made of your hotel.. My view is that they were far too lienient- with the exception of your Catering Manager and the Chef I found very little to recommend it.. Bathroomsm were generally below par. Ours was dangerous. First there was no safety mat in the bath - contrary to the Management of Health and Safety in the Workplace regulation and your duty of care to customers. As a former Environmental Technical Officer and later South East England Safety Training Manager for the CITB in South East England I'm still wondering whether I should report the incident. Next the shower head - there being no mixer tap hot water had to be turned off quickly after a shower. On two occasions following that once when my wife was showering nd also when I was doing likewise; the shower head errupted from its moorings and nearly his us on the head. Imagine what might have happened if we had been frail 77 year olds instead of being relatively fit. But the worst was the deafening thumping noise all through dinner on Friday night as a prelude, we were told, to the Ladies' Night. This wasn't music - it wasn't even decent drum and bass - it was just a repetitive din. Were told that either it couldn't be turned down or no body wanted to bother. Only when two of our party confronted the General Manager and shouted at him at close range was something done.What it boils down to is; we were a group of oldies who don't count, save as a cash stream. What the general Manager forgets - despite the mealy mouthed apology on this site - is that we may be old but we meet people and talk. The son of two of our party is a well known national broadcaster, I am a news reader on our local FM Community Radio Station. We belong ro Churches, Golf Clubs, Rotary The Womens'Institute and many other organisations where we meet people and talk. What most of us will say when asked about this hotel is probably not fit for publication. It is my view that your GM doesn't give a fig about parties like ours.Which makes me wonder if the owner does either. One more thing our former MP belongs to an associan of other former MPs he meets them regularly and talks. Reputations can be gained and lost through such conversations. Think on. Bill Pitt Broadstairs

4  Thank bill_pitt

Dear bill_pitt,

Many thanks for the review of your visit to QHB. I have taken your comments on board, as per my response to the previous review.

I hope you will agree that your experience was not typical of our usual high levels of service and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, also for your very constructive criticism.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I came to this hotel for a ladies nite that was on, the atmosphere was amazing and the staff were a credit to the manager everything ran smoothly for our table from arrival to end, the meal was just the right amount for us and very well presented and the staff were very professional in their conduct I only have two critasisms I had to stand on a chair to see the strippers the second being the other group of guests using the hotel dining room, who were particularly rude towards a member of management who appeared to conduct himself in a calm and collective manner. ( personally I wouldn't of given them the time of day !!!! Can't wait for the next event at this fabulous hotel !!! ****

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Susan G
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Susan G,

Great to hear you enjoyed our Fifty Shades Ladies Night at QHB. I took great pleasure in reading your review and will be sure to share your kind words with the rest of the Team. We are releasing the date of our next Fifty Shades Ladies Night on Monday 7th July, as with all our events - keep an eye on our Website or Facebook page for the latest news! If you book our next event, please let us know and I will do my best to ensure you have front row seats...I have a feeling that there will be a lengthy queue of ladies for these seats however!

Really hope you will visit again soon,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Most complaints centre on the bathroom,* one guest left for one night as the shower in her room didn’t work & the shower she was shown to had drain problems, no shower for 5 nights is not acceptable.
Room 232: Water pressure not transferring from bath taps to overhead shower.
Room 241: Shower head broken
Room 239: Knob on shower won’t push up see *
No rubber safety mats supplied, if you have showers over baths these are essential.
Guest suffering from migraine went to shower and the shower broke & flooded all her dry clothes. Reception did offer to dry them but no apology.
Double bed instead of 2 singles and no single bedding available when beds were separated.
Guests special diet: 1 litre of organic soya milk ‘lost’, Found on day 4, lost again on day 6
Found in rooms on arrival, 1 pair of tights and protective paper layer from sanitary towel
Room 241: Bathroom vent running all night, bedside light bulb missing, problems reported but nothing was done.
Room 240: Shower head not connected to hose. Guest told that tea/coffee supplies not automatically topped up and have to be requested from reception. Told rooms only ‘done’ if on reception’s list?
I waited 10 minutes for pool towels while Duty Manager finished what he was doing, then dispatched someone to find some. On her return with a new bale she found two on the reception desk had been there all the time.
No attendant on duty in pool; is there not a legal requirement on health & safety rules?
No spin dryer supplied in changing rooms, male or female.
One hairdryer in female changing room is inadequate.
Hairband found in locker in female changing room.
Disco music in public areas not necessary (Have you ever surveyed guests to see if they want it?)
Noise level totally unacceptable in dining room on Friday night, the hen parties etc. weren’t even using the dining room.
The general attitude of staff was that we were a nuisance rather than guests. There was no guidance or supervision of young people on work experience. Duty managers addressing requests and complaints instead of delegating. Reception staff politely told guests their problem would be seen to but most didn’t have the training to know who to contact. As General Manager you must have staff in charge of kitchens, maintenance, housekeeping, leisure etc.
I’m not surprised at the messy attitude if you saw the state of the linen rooms and cleaning supply rooms.
However you do have a plus side;
1 Your location
2 Your excellent chef Chris, we have nothing but praise for the dinners.
3 The response to my first letter was that breakfast definitely improved but it could be even better if more thought was given to the flow and layout. Supplies ran out most days.
Although we are a group of retired people we have all had careers of responsibility and management including an MP, doctors and health professionals, senior civil servants, teachers and engineers. I belong to a Group Leaders Travel Organisation where experiences and opinions are shared with a view to upholding standards for the holidaying public.
I spoke to one of your regular business travellers who uses the hotel on a weekly basis purely because of its convenient location. He made the unprompted observation that the 4 star rating is not deserved.
Finally in view of the large party and high level of justifiable complaints I would have thought the manager would have had the courtesy to speak to me personally.

3  Thank peterBroadstairs
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

PeterBroadstairs,

Thank you for the detailed review of your interaction with QHB. I noticed you have copied your letter into your TripAdvisor Review, which I have responded to and mailed out to you twice, I truly hope you have now received my response.

In brief response to the main points highlighted in your review for the benefit of our TripAdvisor Readers;

- I must apologise for the issues a very small minority of the group encountered in a handful of our bathrooms, furthermore I must add that these were addressed right away as your guests reported any issues. I feel I should also add that our Head Housekeeper and Receptionist apologised and did in fact actually dry the two items (a t-shirt and brassiere) in our tumble dryer that were affected by the faulty shower. Following this, our Duty Manager repaired the shower immediately.
- Sorry you had to wait for towels before entering our leisure centre; we did however open the leisure club 15 minutes early for you which may have resulted in a slight delay in stocking of towels at our reception desk. I am glad to hear that the duty manager did delegate this task, contradictory to a statement made toward the end of your review. I feel I should also mention we have now purchased another hair dryer for the female changing rooms, thus allowing two guests to dry their hair at the same time. Sorry about the hair band you found in a locker in our changing rooms, however some of our guests do misplace items from time to time.
- I hope you can appreciate that the music choice is never going to be to everyone’s taste; however it is reflective of the hotel’s modern style, in which we aim to create a relaxed lounge environment with our very popular playlist. The playlist has been very carefully chosen to adapt to certain times of the day and is continually reviewed, I must add that a ‘disco genre’ does not feature on the playlist however.
- Admittedly our linen room does sometimes appear to be a ‘messy area’, as you can imagine at certain times of the day we have 82 rooms worth of bedding that are in the process of being changed over, by the end of the day these areas are tidy once more and ready for the next day’s service. One thing the Team here are proud of is our back of house areas; I always say that I should be able to walk a guest around our 'service areas' just like I would any front of house area. Hence the requirement to ensure they are kept clean and tidy.
- I would also like to add that I did in fact speak to you and a few members of the group each night as I greeted you in our lobby, asking whether you had had a good day and enquiring as to where you had been, at no point were any of the above issues raised following my correspondence which you highlight you received and were satisfied with after your first night.

I was however pleased to hear that you did enjoy your dining experience and I will of course pass on your compliments to our Head Chef.

To conclude, I am truly sorry that your expectations were not met on this occasion; however I can assure you that our trained Team take great pride in delivering outstanding service, reflective in the majority of our reviews, feedback and of course the Four Stars awarded by Visit England less than 12 months ago.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Booked to see a tribute act with a group of friends . The venue room was lovely and spacious , not packed in like sardines like some of the venues I have visited. Lovely décor and finishing touches on the tables . The act were good , very entertaining and managed to get most people up dancing ..... I have to mention the food though and not in a positive light . It said buffet when booking but all that was on offer was chilli , and vegetarian chilli with rice and five potato wedges . The chilli was ridiculously spicy , our table left most of it and looking round other tables were the same . I've been to other events around about the same price range and had a three course meal . We had a brilliant night and are booking again for the dirty dancing night but I hope the food improves massively as it was extremely disappointing and mine had a hair in it !
Also wine is £16 a bottle which is a touch on the dear side , normally pay £12 to £14 at venues .

3  Thank Jones1106
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Jones1106,

Thank you so much for your review. Great to hear you loved the décor and entertainment! However I must apologise for the fact your food wasn't to your expectations. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally, so please contact me direct at the hotel at your earliest convenience.
Over all I am really pleased you and your group had a brilliant night and I look forward to speaking to you soon!

Warm regards,

Best Western The Sea Hotel
Best Western The Sea Hotel
#3 of 5 in South Shields
Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel

Been to Quality Hotel Boldon? Share your experiences!