“Great rooms and friendly staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great rooms and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

I ended up staying at this hotel for an extended period of 2 months. The beds were comfortable and the staff was always friendly, whether it be the house keeper or front desk clerk. It's a place you feel welcome and the breakfast in the morning goes beyond just muffins and cereal. Hot items which are different daily are served And you get coffee, tea or hot cocoa all day. Target is less than a mile away and other places you can eat are nearby

• Stayed September 2012
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take pride in making guests feel welcome and we are glad you felt that. We were certainly happy you were with us for 2 months. It was a joy to have you and we hope you come back for another 2 months.

Drew Lynch
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
FOXBORO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This is a very clean well kept motel. The staff is very friendly and want to make your stay great. The pool and hot tub were clean and well maintained. The continental breakfast in the morning was fantastic. I have stayed in many motels, but few compare to this Inn. Good job to those staff

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast.

Drew Lynch
Assistant General Manager
Oswego, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I generally would give this hotel a five star rating but that has changed since our last stay about one week ago. We have always had nothing but good experiences at this hotel. The whole staff has always been good to us, the location is perfect as it is only 15 minutes from the University, the rooms are clean and the breakfast is good. My issue is with the restaurant/bar next door to the hotel. It is attracting really nasty people and making the area unsafe.

We have been coming to this hotel for over a year and every time we came, we went to the restaurant/bar next door for dinner. It always seemed to be a nice place with normal people until this trip. The management must have changed and I think they made it a nightclub on the weekends because this was the worst weekend we have had.

We have always had a problem finding parking in front of the hotel because the patrons of the bar take all of them. So, on Friday night when we got into town the same thing happened and we had to park on the opposite side of the lot. Saturday morning at breakfast we were happy we did because we saw three cars right in front of the hotel that were smashed together. Turns out that a drunk driver from the club next door plowed right into these cars and was continuing to push them with his car when the police came. I feel so bad for one of the car's owners as he was there for his father's funeral and now he had to deal with this.Thank goodness the cars were empty and we thought we had dodged a bullet that night.

So, the next night we were coming back from a U of M football game at around midnight and , again, we can't find a space in front so we park out back only to find that our key doesn't work at the pool entrance. It was too far to walk all of the way around the hotel, so we have to park in the front of the lot, but all of the way down by some low hanging trees. After parking we walk up to the hotel entrance and right by the front door of the hotel there were two women who, I'm sure were hookers. They were trying to talk one of the other guests of the hotel into coming with them. He didn't go, but hookers in front of the hotel??? Come on!

So, at about 1:00 a.m. that night as we are going to bed, my husband notices almost underneath our window is a crowd of people making all kinds of noise and being loud. We tried to go to sleep but at 2:00 a.m. they were still out there making noise, and now we notice a police car and police wagon in front of the hotel . Turns out the next day when we asked what happened they said that some girl got hurt and was bleeding. They wouldn't, or couldn't tell us any more than that. Who knows what happened to her? I don't think the police would be called for a skinned knee. We also found out that the police come out there every night on weekends at the close of the bar because they have had other problems in the past with this place.

So, the next morning, having had no sleep because of the crowd next to our window, we leave, only to find that everything in our car was robbed. They got all of the new items we had just purchased from the University, including some expensive coats and a GPS. What they didn't take, they broke. They were , however, nice enough to leave our daughter's marching band uniform on the dirty ground in the parking lot. Thank goodness for the small things.

Anyway, I am not writing this review to be critical of the hotel. They were nothing but nice to us and they are a well managed establishment. The manager even called to apologise and offer us a free stay there. The problem is that I don't feel safe there anymore. At least not on the weekends when these crazy drunk people are out. I would gladly stay there again when/if they can shut down that restaurant/bar next door. The hotel isn't the problem, it is their neighbors. I will keep checking with them in hopes that their situation will change because it really is a good place to stay. Just not on the weekends.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, only stay on the weekdays. Weekends are filled with drunk drivers, loud people...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank UniversityMom1
Heidi O, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our guest rooms and our incredible team. I am sincerely sorry about the experience you had outside the hotel and with the adjacent restaurant patrons. I want to assure you that we are working with the restaurant management team and local authorities to make sure what happened that weekend never repeats. We take our guest safety very seriously and we will do whatever necessary to make sure we provide a comfortable, consistent, caring and safe environment for all future guests. I would invite you to call me personally to discuss specifics about our strategies of improvement.

952-646-2801
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay! The room was a little pricey but the staff was friendly and very helpful and located in a nice and quiet neighborhood. They may need to update the tv. We would definitely stay again. Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed our great team and fantastic breakfast! I appreciate you also mentioning our TVs, we are in the process of reviewing the hotel needs and will take your comments into consideration as we continue to improve the hotel.

We look forward to yor next stay with us!

Canon City, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

It was cheap and it shows. The outside looks nice and the lobby looks nice. Unfortunately, as soon as I got to the room I was disappointed. It smells like smoke and the furniture has definitely seen better days. The chairs look like they were picked up from a garage sale. The floor lamp is ready to fall over. The lighting is terrible.

I'm thinking about trying to get a refund and find somewhere else for the weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ryan O
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sincerely sorry that the guest room smelled of smoke and that it didn’t live up to your expectations. We are a smoke free facility so we will definitely treat the room you stayed in so it is ready for future guests. I will also review the furnishings and lighting to make sure it is up to Country Inn & Suites standards. I will be reaching out to you personally in the hope that you will return in the future so we can recoup your confidence in us.

All the best,

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We returned to Minneapolis as we do each summer for a huge soccer tournament, and stayed with our team at a different hotel for the duration, however, returned to Country Inn Suites for an extra night because of the great service we received last year (although we could have/should have extended our previous hotel room), and what a nightmare it was. Friends of ours were staying at Country Inn Suites at my request and made the arrangements and confirmation for us to move into Country Inn Suites the following Sunday morning. When we checked out of our hotel, and arrived at Country Inn Suites, the front desk clerk Steve was crusty, sarcastic and generally unfriendly. When we tried to check in, Steve indicated we had no reservation and certainly not at the rate that was confirmed the night prior. In addition, my friend who was a guest there had her key card deactivated so she could not return to her room after breakfast with her two kids. She advised the front desk clerk, Steve, who refused to assist her unless she showed identification, which of course was locked in her room. He then indicated he would have to escort her to the room where she could show the identification to him. After waiting 1.5 hours, he finally escorted her up to her room where she showed him her ID. She then returned to the front desk with Steve to fix her reservation as Country Inn Suites checked her out notwithstanding her original reservation was from a Thursday - Monday, and not Sunday. No remorse or apology was provided to her. Instead, Steve again asked to see her identification before he could proceed with a reservation even though he saw it 3 mins prior. It was ridiculous. Long story short, we left to go meet up with our team (we were 2 hours late due to this mishap at Country Inn Suites). Steve agreed to extend my friend's room, and confirm a room for me and my children. Upon departing, we were approached by many other guests who witnessed the whole ordeal while waiting in the lobby or eating breakfast. They were utterly disgusted by the treatment we received by Steve. When we arrived in the evening back at Country Inn Suites, imagine our surprise when we discovered that my friend still could not enter her room and I had no reservation. We came back from a day at Valley Fair with four tired kids. This time the front desk individual was apologetic and quickly remedied the situation for us. She was great, but what an unnecessary disaster. Definitely NOT the same hotel/hospitatility as we received last year. Rate was not that great either, and we could not use our toilet as it was plugged by a previous guest. Thankfully we had an adjoining room with our friend so we used their toilet. Keep driving.

Room Tip: Unless you stay in a suite, it's not really worth the price.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WpgSoccerMom
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for your sharing your feedback. I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your recent visit. I want to offer my sincerest apologies for any frustration or disappointment you experienced at our hotel. Your feedback has already been shared with staff members and we will make sure the situation does not become an issue for future guests. I have also sent you a private message in the hopes to recoup your confidence for future stays with Country Inn and Suites.

Heidi Olson, Regional General Manager
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Often visitors to the Twin Cities to see college sports, we look for good value. This particular location is the best combination. It is not flashy, it is not expensive. We've tried other less expensive places but continue to return here because it has great staff, great breakfasts, it is safe, clean, quiet and reasonable. It's great for our purposes; frequent trips with several family members.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms sometimes allow pets
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your great experience. I am delighted that our location and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope that we see you again on your next trip to the city!

All the best,
#4 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis North / Fridley

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center? Share your experiences!