Motel 6 Minneapolis- Brooklyn Center
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Reviewed 6 August 2012

It is cheap for a reason. We stayed here and i could barely sleep because I was scared of the neighbors. Dirty bathtub, bad crime infested neighborhood and the cops had to come to take care of a domestic abuse issue. There was drug dealers. This was a mistake to stay here. I needed a place to crash for one night and may go to a motel 6 again this ones problem is the location. We tried on is Indianpolis before and they had a lot of suspious people there we didnt feel safe. But if I get a chance I will try it again at a different location. Service was nothing good nothing bad nothing to talk about.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Having stayed at Motel 6 several times when looking for a clean, no-frills place to sleep I decided to check this one out while vacationing in MN. After this experience there is nothing positive I can recommend. I showed up late (around midnight) and just wanted a place to sleep and shower for the night. Walking in there were some sketchy individuals in/around the lobby but decided to give it a shot anyway. Given my room on the first floor I tried to find ice only to find out the place had no in-room map/directions to anything and once I did on my own locate the ice maker only to find out it was either broken or out of ice. Decided to try to go up a floor to try another ice machine only to find that there is only one in the building that I could locate. Having no ice I decided instead to try to get some sleep.
About 2am is when the neighbors (who's room was connected by the infamous internal hotel doors) decided it was time for a domestic dispute in which I could clearly hear the entire argument between the two which carried on well into the night. Not wanting to cause additional trouble by notifying the front desk who would probably go 'warn' the adjoining room which would just turn their hostility toward their 'complaining neighbor' I simply turned on/up the tv and continued to try to sleep on the sorriest excuse for a mattress you could create.
Next morning, I get the hell out ASAP and certainly don't intend to ever use that hotel again. There are others in the area and while they might cost $10-20 a night more my peace of mind and decent sleep is definitely worth that.

Room Tip: LOL. Try the hotel down the street?
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2011

One step up from sleeping outside. The carpets are stained, the linens well worn, the water tepid, and the attentiveness to consumer satisfaction is non-exsistant. In todays society this hotel chain doesn't even offer their guests free coffee throughout the day! There are no coffee makers in the room, no alarm clocks, and no amenities of any sort that would make your stay comforting. When they said in their commercials they will "leave the light on" they must of over extended their budget on electricity and made cut backs everywhere else. For $39.99 a night a consumer should at a minimum have access to free coffee all day, hot water for a bath, a courtesy computer to access the internet, and an alarm clock with a radio in their room. A mission would offer more than this hotel chain. I would pay the extra $10 to stay with a competitor.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank danieljazz3
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We needed a place that accepted dogs and was reasonably priced. Our dog was better behaved than most of the guests we ran into. When we arrived a woman and her daughter were screaming obscenities at each other in the doorway to the lobby. The police were there but apparently not for that particular disturbance. We were assured by the desk clerk that this was not usual and that we would not be bothered by these people again. Hallways were dirty with stained carpeting; the door to our hallway was propped open with a dirty towel stuffed under the door. Our room was very small and the beds were in terrible condition, sagging and in general worn out. On our first full day there the maid did not clean our room, make the beds, empty the trash or leave fresh glasses. We had to make a request to the manager on a daily basis to get what should have been taken care of automatically. On our first night someone broke some beer bottles on the driveway which were never picked up and were still there when we left 3 days later. The so-called secure exit doors in the back of the hotel had broken locks so anyone could walk into the hotel. Management was aware of this and fixing the locks should have been top priority. The manager spent most of his time outside smoking instead of supervising his crew and making sure that the rooms were cleaned and re-stocked with towels, bath mats and glasses. Strange people were loitering in the lobby on a daily basis. If it hadn't been for needing a place that accepted dogs we would have left immediately. We have stayed at other Motel 6 properties that were totally acceptable so felt comfortable in making this reservation, however, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank sissyd
Reviewed 28 March 2007

We recently stayed here for the sole reason that it seemed to be a safe area of town and we were in need of a location close to a business meeting the following morning. Looks can be deceiving. Prior to checking in, we dined at a popular franchise resturaunt only steps away and witnessed a blatant solicitation from what can only be described as very scary characters. Upon reaching the front desk, we were greeted by a security guard and clerk behind a bulletproof window. So much for ambience. My husband was asked to show his ID, and came out to the car because they required seeing my ID as well. After remembering the sight outside the local resturaunt it did not take long to figure out what they were screening their "guests" for.
Once inside, I have to say that it was clean and well maintained, although modest and small. What I was extremely upset over was the lack of amenities. There was no alarm clock, stationary, box of tissues, pen, or even phone book. In need of a phone book the following morning, my husband was told that they were expecting new phone books the following week and would not permit borrowing it to us to make some important calls!
It really is a shame, it is in a convenient area, has well lanscaped grounds, and they do make a good attempt at cleanliness and upkeep. They also do not accept checks or even cash. But this again is a hint of the rough neighborhood. Unfortunately, this motel's biggest problem is the neighborhood it sits in. I strongly recommend you avoid this area with young children, or better yet, altogether. I don't know what we were thinking.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank NDfarmgirl
Reviewed 8 January 2007

This would be a nice, newer budget motel and it was clean, but the neighborhood and clientele were a little scary. I guess my first clue should have been the bulletproof glass at the clerks window. The clerk asked for our driver's licenses (my 72 year-old mother and I), citing a state law. I have never been asked that in Minnesota ever before! The lobby was full of smoke and I asked for a room in a smoke free area and we were given a room in a "smoke free wing." There were people smoking in that wing. (People coming out of some of the rooms with puffs of smoke billowiing out the door behind them!) The hotel was nearly empty so I have no idea why a smoker would get room in a "smoke-free" area. I stuffed my bathrobe under the door and it kept the smoke out pretty well. We discovered there was no toilet paper so I called the desk and the clerk told me she would "see if she could find some", but I would have to come to the desk myself and get it. She called back to let me know that she found some, and when I got to the desk, a couple was screaming at the desk clerk about being charged for the second person in the room. The police arrived and escorted them out in cuffs! The hotel was quiet during the night but when we left in the morning there were squad cars there again. I would have rather paid more and stayed in a place with less excitement!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank fifigirl
Reviewed 14 September 2006

On the 3rd leg of our trip, we visited the Motel 6 in Brooklyn Center during the weekend.

I was amazed to see a 3 story plus, standard hotel building.
I was also amazed to see more than one squad car nearby.

It's an A+ for a motel 6 and a welcome site. Well managed grounds, easy access to many Hwy's also neat and clean.

Yes the rooms are small, but if your traveling without kids and not planning on spending the day in your room. You'll be more than fine.

The bathrooms are spacious enough and the shower or availability to bathe in a tub could be a bonus.

Checking in on the weekend and in the evening is a little dicey.
Possibly due to the holiday weekend, you had the young-ins, family reunion folks and travelers from all over the world.

The absolutely low rate of $39 on a Sunday, (we paid, $53 Sat & $46 on Sun). This may account for the take on all comers crowd, we had seen there.

The rooms also feature, built-in climate control by temperature not feel.

It was a nice quiet and wholesome stay. Totally uneventful and pleasant. If your goal is to explore MSP and not your room, this place is a must stay. It's just outside the city and only minutes away from everything you need.

Just take a right out the driveway and then another right at the light and drive. It's all within 2 or 3 miles, maybe even closer.
Food, shopping and other services are well within your reach.

Hope this helps

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank MrBry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn Center
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn Center
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn...
#4 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
#5 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Best Western Plus Minneapolis-Northwest
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center
Norwwod Inn & Suites Roseville

Been to Motel 6 Minneapolis- Brooklyn Center? Share your experiences!