“***GOOD HOTEL, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE***”

LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Burnsville
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I'm a consultant who share my time between Minneapolis and Washington, DC. I'm on the fence on whether to get an apt in the Twin Cities or use a hotel that offers a weekly rate when I'm in town. I found LivINN Hotel in Burnsville on Craigslist, and after reading the reviews decided to make a reservation. However, I had some reservations of my own about paying a $70 refundable deposit, along with a nonrefundable $30 fee for a background check just to check in...REALLY? AT A HOTEL??? So, I opted to stay there for one night to get a feel for the hotel and its location.

1. The Room: Beautiful. Very clean. Great beds. Great TV lineup. Bathroom was VERY small.

2. Area: The hotel is located on a street with lots of other hotels, some decent, while others not as much. However, this hotel is beautiful on the outside and nestled behind trees and nice landscape, so the downtrodden hotels don't distract from its appearance or make you feel unsafe.

3. Weekly stays: This hotel offers weekly rates but, unlike other hotels where people "live," there wasn't a lot of activity, such as people loitering inside or outside the hotel. (And I've stayed at hotels where I've seen drug deals first-hand.)

4. Customer service: I saved the worst for last. When I got there to check in, there were two employees sitting at the front desk. One was helping a customer, while the other was "preoccupied." Finally, after about two minutes, I asked her if she could help me. She looked at the other employee, who looked like she might be a while, and asked if I had a reservation. She then needed the assistance of the other employee to find my reservation and check me in. When I went downstairs to check out the next morning, there were sheets strewn all over the front desk. The best I could surmise is that the person who checks in guests pulls double duty by doing the laundry at night.

I called back later in the day to confirm the weekly reservation I had for Monday (I couldn't remember which date I'd made it for), and was put on hold for seven minutes. So, I hung up and called back, and the employee answered the phone and immediately put me on hold again. At that point I canceled the reservation altogether, because I can't deal with poor customer service. Furthermore, I still can't justify paying $30 for a background check at hotel, especially when I refuse to an application fee for an apartment. And when employers run their background checks, they absorb the cost, not pass it on to me.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but the employees definitely need some etiquette and customer service training.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
BurnsvilleGM, General Manager at LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your review. I appreciate feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests' experience.

Our top two priorities are service and cleanliness, I want you to know that we take reviews seriously, therefore we have met as a team to review your comments.

I do want to also thank you for the positive comments you left as we do strive to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. It sounds as if you were pleased with the hotel and your accomodations.

The next time you are in need of lodging in the Bursnville area, I would like to invite you to contact me personally so that I may oversee your stay.

There are newer reviews for LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I called 2 hours prior to arriving to make sure that my reserved room would not be given away since I knew I was arriving late. I was reassurred that everything was in place and fine. We arrived at 12:40 in the morning to see a frantic young girl behind the desk. She explaind that the hotel was full and our room had indeed been given away. After standing in the lobby for an hour (and very tired from driving), we were told that they would find us a complimentary room at another hotel to compensate for our inconvenience. That seemed like a fair solution. We were expecting a room at a hotel that was comparable to what we would have gotten at LivINN. NOPE!!! They sent us to a disgusting, filthy place that wasn't even close to what we had booked at the LivINN. We stayed only because we were too tired to search any further. We felt our business was not important to the LivINN hotel and they do not care about their customer satisfaction in the least.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AHDonofrio

Thank you for taking time to post this review. I want to offer you a sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced. We made a mistake and I would like the ooportunity to make it up to you as we value all of our guests and strive to exceed all of our guests' expectations.

Providing "world-class" service is our top priority and I want you to know that your experience is far from the norm. As you can see from other reviews, most of our guests find that we provide a great expereince at a reasonable price.

If you are willing to allow me to make it up to you, please contact me (my contact information is below) so that we may discuss an opportunity to win you back as a guest.

Sincerest apologies,

952-890-7999 x502

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We were excited to book our room for a reasonable rate at the LivInn Burnsville, especially based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Sadly though, our initial impression coming into the hotel and the lobby area was a bit on the 'seedy' side. Upon arrival we noticed numerous 'unkept' people who appeared to be 'long term' residents of the hotel, were smoking and lounging around the outside of the hotel lobby. The front desk staff was very kind and friendly, but the front desk area looked like a laundry room...sheets and linens everywhere! We decided to take a look at the room before committing to our stay and the front desk clerk was agreeable to letting us see the room. We found the hallways leading to the room to be dingy and did not smell clean. The room inspection revealed a very stained carpet, the corners and edges were dirty, we saw bugs in the A/C vents, the bathroom area was gloomy and the fixtures stained, and the area around the television (sides and in back of) looked like it had not be cleaned in months! Overall it was rather gloomy and smelled bad and we just could not bring ourselves up to stay here. We cancelled our rooms and went elsewhere. We must say, all the staff were very pleasant and kindly, but it's too bad the hotel itself was not as nice. We are sorry not to be able to be more positive, but are having a difficult time understanding how this hotel received so many positive reviews.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Larry D
BurnsvilleGM, General Manager at LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for taking time to post this review. I wanted to take a few moments to address your comments as I do take them seriously.

I would like you to know that we are in the process of a remodel in which all of our bathroom fixtures are being replaced along with the addition of granite counter tops and a host of other upgrades.

We are a completely non-smoking hotel and thus do not allow smoking in the hotel or near any entrances. We are installing a new smoking area to resolve the issue of our guests smoking in the parking lot.

I would like the opportunity to win you back as a guest as I feel as if your short expereince here was not truly representative of the hotel. If you are willing, please contact me at the below number so that we may speak about this in greater detail.

952-890-7999 x 507

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We are from out of state and looked online for a hotel in the Farmington/Northfield/Burnsville area. LivINN had great prices and the reviews were complimentary. When we arrived late afternoon, the check in desk area was FULL of bed sheets, I mean all the way around the check in area, needing to be folded, I guess by the Desk Clerk. That should have been our first clue of what was to come. That evening and the next morning, although smoking is not allowed in the hotel, 8 - 10 people were always outside smoking on the only sidewalk that leads to the front door, leaving their cigarette butts in the parking lot & sidewalk. While the bed was very comfortable, and the room seemed clean enough, the bathroom faucets were discolored giving them a dirty look, the drain cover was laying in the tub, obviously broken and the shower head was for someone 5'5" or less. Although we had reservations for two nights, we cancelled the second night and moved to a different hotel. Obviously the other people who recently reviewed this hotel had a far more different experience than we did.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bonnie M

Thank you for taking time to post this review and to share with us ways in which we can improve our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay here did not meet your expectations. As you can see from the overwhelming majority of travelers, most find our hotel to be quite adequate. We strive to exceed the expectaions of all of our guests and I want you to know that the issues you have identified in your review are being taken seriuosly to ensure that no one else is less than satisfied with thier stay here at the LivINN Hotel of Burnsville.

We do stand behind our hotel and would like the opportunity to win back your business. I would like to invite you to contact me personally at the below number or via e-mail so that we may discuss your experience.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak to you soon.

952-890-7999 x 502

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Have been staying here 3 weeks and Calla has done the best housekeeping .
Love the service and the staff is very helpful and freindly.Would definately come back..
good continental breakfast's. Lot of TV channels, microwave works great. refrigerator is a wonderful asset.Pillow top Matress was wonderful.
Michele Kucera

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for tnking time to post this review and also to specifically mention how well Calla took care of you during your stay. Calla and the rest of the team here are truly the greatest asset of the hotel. It is great to hear that you also appreciated all of the extras we have to offer here.

We look forward to the next time your plans call for lodging in teh Burnsville area.

With hospitality,

Reviewed 18 August 2012

This time stayed one week 8/7 - 8/14 but have been customer for at least 10 years. Grew up in Twin Cities and moved away 30 years ago. For stays of at least one week you CANNOT find
a better value ( price x quality). Burnsville is not downtown but less than 30 minutes to almost anywhere in Twin Cities area---great location.

I am a retired business consultant and use to be on the road over 125 days year worldwide. So believe me when I say...staff and working GM some of the best I have ever encountered especially in terms of attitude and responses.They go the extra step to accommodate your needs. After we checked out and returned home out of state we realized my wife left her computer charger in room. The GM told us that it would be mailed to us immediately upon receiving our call--and it was. Most major chains would take days to have this done.

I have a bad back..the beds were as good as 4 -5 star hotels.

This is 100% non-smoking hotel.. so you might find a group of smoker standing outside
the front entrance (especially at night). Since the hotel caters to a diverse clientele this
initial impression by no means reflects what waits for you inside.

Thanks to the GM and staff for everything.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bhappytucson

Thank you for taking time to post this review. We appreciate the comment you made on the value we have to offer here at the LivINN Hotel of Burnsville.

We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I travel a lot and stay in many different hotels.
Value is incredible, approximately 239.00 a week plus tax.
Rooms cleaned once a week. Modesta(?) cleaned my room during my 10 week stay. Every Thursday I would come back from work to a remarkably clean room.
Location great - right off the interstate.
Next time I am in the area on business, I will stay here again.
Current Manage is Bill who went out of his way to accomadate my specific needs. Rooms are large for the price with a refrigerator and microwave.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
BurnsvilleGM, General Manager at LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for taking time to post this review, it is much appreciated. We do provide the best "value" in Burnsville without sacrificing comfort, convenience or cleanliness. We stand behind the fact that you can not go anywhere else in Burnsville and get more for less. At LivINN Hotels we provide Comfortable Rooms at Comfortable Rates.

My team and I look forward to your return!

With hospitality,

Bill Godbe

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnsville
AmericInn Burnsville
GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Savage

Been to LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville? Share your experiences!