I'm a consultant who share my time between Minneapolis and Washington, DC. I'm on the fence on whether to get an apt in the Twin Cities or use a hotel that offers a weekly rate when I'm in town. I found LivINN Hotel in Burnsville on Craigslist, and after reading the reviews decided to make a reservation. However, I had some reservations of my own about paying a $70 refundable deposit, along with a nonrefundable $30 fee for a background check just to check in...REALLY? AT A HOTEL??? So, I opted to stay there for one night to get a feel for the hotel and its location.
1. The Room: Beautiful. Very clean. Great beds. Great TV lineup. Bathroom was VERY small.
2. Area: The hotel is located on a street with lots of other hotels, some decent, while others not as much. However, this hotel is beautiful on the outside and nestled behind trees and nice landscape, so the downtrodden hotels don't distract from its appearance or make you feel unsafe.
3. Weekly stays: This hotel offers weekly rates but, unlike other hotels where people "live," there wasn't a lot of activity, such as people loitering inside or outside the hotel. (And I've stayed at hotels where I've seen drug deals first-hand.)
4. Customer service: I saved the worst for last. When I got there to check in, there were two employees sitting at the front desk. One was helping a customer, while the other was "preoccupied." Finally, after about two minutes, I asked her if she could help me. She looked at the other employee, who looked like she might be a while, and asked if I had a reservation. She then needed the assistance of the other employee to find my reservation and check me in. When I went downstairs to check out the next morning, there were sheets strewn all over the front desk. The best I could surmise is that the person who checks in guests pulls double duty by doing the laundry at night.
I called back later in the day to confirm the weekly reservation I had for Monday (I couldn't remember which date I'd made it for), and was put on hold for seven minutes. So, I hung up and called back, and the employee answered the phone and immediately put me on hold again. At that point I canceled the reservation altogether, because I can't deal with poor customer service. Furthermore, I still can't justify paying $30 for a background check at hotel, especially when I refuse to an application fee for an apartment. And when employers run their background checks, they absorb the cost, not pass it on to me.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but the employees definitely need some etiquette and customer service training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally poised just 20 minutes from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, the LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South/Burnsville is a relaxing home base just beyond the excitement of downtown. Contemporary decor and modern amenities invite you to relax and unwind in our comfortable guest rooms and Jacuzzi suites. Enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, a hot breakfast buffet daily, fitness room and free parking. Have a drink or dine at Clive's Roadhouse Restaurant for lunch or dinner, conveniently located adjacent to our hotel. For work or play, our Burnsville hotel offers everything you need for a relaxing stay in the Twin Cities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Livinn Hotel Burnsville
- LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville MN