Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
The Bridge Hotel(Prestbury)
Legh Arms(Prestbury)
View Hotel
Mottram Hall(Mottram St. Andrew)
Chadwick House Hotel(Macclesfield)
    Deanwater Hotel(Stockport)
    Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
    2,957 results
    All reviewsgolf coursecourtyard barafternoon teaold churchevening mealjacuzzi bathpeak districtdeluxe roomleisure facilitiesself serviceleisure clubthree course meallovely settinggolf breaknight breakbirthday treatshort break
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here as part of a wedding. Whilst the wedding was lovely the food, the service and the overnight stay were less than perfect. When we arrived there was noone to direct us to the room where the wedding was going to take place or even to the bar where we could wait; we were completely ignored by the 2 young ladies on reception. We had arrived early and asked to check in, the room wasn't ready but as it was before 2pm we couldn't complain. After the ceremony, at around 3pm, we went back again to check whether we could collect the keys and still the room wasn't ready. The receptionist told us to come back in 5mins and I explained that there was a small break in the proceedings and if I had returned in 5mins I would have missed the photographs. The receptionist shrugged her shoulders and reemphasised 5 mins. Apparently check in was at 2pm??

After the wedding and reception we went to our room at around 11pm completely shattered and was pleased to get into a very comfortable bed. What we didn't bargain for was a night of shouting, swearing and banging/kicking of doors from guests in neighbouring rooms.

We promptly got ourselves down for breakfast after the night of hell to a massive queue and after waiting a while, the serving staff explained there was a shortage of catering staff and that there would be a delay. We gave in and just went with what was available.

Overall not a 4* experience!!

• Stayed: September 2012
    1  Thank birdie_gal8
    Reviewed 9 September 2012

Sorry my heading is downbeat but that's how it made me feel at the entrance there were four AA stars proudly displayed and I am sure that many years ago somebody would have worked hard to earn them,but the standards are not four star now.
    The staff were very polite when checking in the main entrance area was stunning with a gorgeous staircase I was told that my room was in the new part of the hotel how I wish it had been in the old part.
    On entering my room it did not take long to decide not to unpack the first thing I reached for was the light switch as the room was quite dark the window faces onto a court yard and you are totally surrounded by fellow guests this poses a problem as there are no net curtains so the only option open to you is to draw your curtains if you are to any privacy at all.
    The fixtures and fittings were all chipped and tired they were trying hard to be antique but they where modern and drab the paper on the walls was in parts pealing and all round the switches was dirty wher people had missed with greasy fingers thus causing staining the double glazing had broken down and the inside the window was misted up and had black damp at the base of the pane where condensation had run down and collected I am afraid I did not go into the bathroom so I cannot comment on its condition.
    At this point my mind was made up I had no wish to stay so after phoning the hotels head office and letting them know of the condition of the room is was expected to stay in I duly picked up my bag and left the hotel I did not report any of this to the hotel management at the time as I did not want to take another room at this establishment
    In closing I would just like to say head office contacted the hotel and they phoned me to offer me another room I explained that the reason I did not take up there offer is that by phoning there head office maybe something maybe they might sit up and take notice then maybe somebody else will not have the same problems as myself

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
    4  Thank Dave G
    Reviewed 7 September 2012

Well it all started very well, lovely first impression, excellent greeting and smooth check in. We had a room in the new part of the hotel at the rear but that didn't really concern us as it was clean tidy and had everything we needed.

Dinner was wonderful, food was of a very high standard, and whilst I did overhear some of the guests making comments about the quality of the food our experience of the restaurant on both nights was very good indeed.

We visited the spa and they were really helpful and the treatments we had were of a high standard, the pool area was clean tidy and you could see them testing the water and tidying around constantly so that was reassuring. The even offered my partner a coffee and a paper whilst he was waiting for my treatment to end.

Breakfast on the first day was excellent, we were welcomed and taken to a table offered fresh tea or coffee and explained how the buffet worked. The quality of the food had been really good with all of the hot food being warm as well as the plates, the cold buffet also looked really attractive and we were impressed. The server also returned to check we were ok during breakfast and it was really what you expect from 4* hotel.

Then the nightmare began, we noticed a sign about delayed flights on our second night and a sudden influx of guests. This wasn't a problem for us but it seemed to be more of a problem for the staff as the service suddenly dropped due to the extra number of guests.

We went to breakfast on the second morning and the place was 100% different to the day before. The staff who greeted us so well on the first day mumbled something and told us to follow them to a room off the main dinning area, we were told to sit wherever and before we could say anything she had gone. We looked around at a number of uncleared tables and settled on one which had only a few crumbs to clear. Nobody came to offer us tea or coffee or came to the table to check on us. I went to the hot food buffet and discovered that the plates were wet and the first 3 had food stuck on the bottom as it they hadn't been cleaned properly, I reported this and went back to try to find a clean dry plate! The hot food was cold, without the proper spatulas, the sausages had tin foils still stuck to them in the serving tray, the scrambled egg was cold and seemed uncooked, a number of guests were complaining at this point as the quality was so different to the previous day. As nobody had taken our request for coffee we tried the coffee machine which was a big mistake, it was warm battery acid and totally not the quality of the previous day. At this stage we gave up and went back to the room to escape, when we arrived the key would not open the door, I'd noticed a cleaner in the previous corridor so went to them for assistance, he followed us to the room and apologised that they were really busy and opened our door using his pass key, it was only after when I realised we hadn't even been asked our names that it concerned me that anyone could have lied and being access to our room.

We had planned on staying for the rest of the day and using the facilities again, but after such a poor start we were fed up and decided to check out. We went to check out and did complain about the service that day, the receptionist called the duty manager who came to see what the issue was after a ten minute wait whilst the reception struggled to get hold of him.

We explained our concerns and the frustration and whilst he nodded in all the right points he really didn't seem that concerned and told us about another couple who had also complained about breakfast that morning. With regard to poor standard off coffee he explained that they were trying self service and that he couldn't understand why it was so bad as the same coffee went into pot we were given on the first morning, when we challenged this we felt he just wasn't listening. He did thank us for our comments but we did feel fobbed off as we had spent a lot of money on this break and our expectations hadn't been met.

All in all spa was 10 out of 10, evening meals were beautiful, but the rest let it down and I wouldn't return if these are the sort of changes they are making as I can make my own coffee at the travel lodge for a fraction of the price!

Room Tip: steps are very steep if you are in the newer part of the hotel so no good if you have mobility issues, and watch the lift, I had my arm bruised as it shut on me.
    • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank MeandGary
    Reviewed 5 September 2012

Nice hotel in very pretty setting, this is the second time we have stayed there and both times it has been excellent. The staff are very helpful and the room accomodation was very good and comfortable. Meals especially breakfast was excellent, with good food and service for everyone including children, and high chairs. I cannot understand some of the comments by other people I have stayed in many hotels and not sure what people really expect. Yes there was a wedding on our second visit and for no more than 10 minutes in the whole night, we heard people returning to their rooms but without weddings and offers most hotels would no longer be able to survive and be in business, this is a hotel not your home. I would love to go back to this hotel again, and will do, and its a great location for Chester, Manchester and the Peak District which we love. I have to say the staff are some of the best I have ever met very pleasant, helpful and with a smile. I would recommend anyone to go here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Wendy W
    ShrigleyGolfGM, General Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Wendy

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your comments very much.

I will ensure I share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards
    Stuart

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed here in August with my husband and two kids. Upon arrival very grand looking period hotel but once you get inside and discover your room is in the more modern part which stunk of damp at the back end of the hotel which was about a 10 mins walk you can't help but feel disappointed!! Room itself was rubbish, small, in dire need of updting an rather depressing looking! Bar ok nothing Special. Nothing like what I'd thought very very disappointing and would definitely not return!

• Stayed: August 2012
    2  Thank Kat100Edinburgh

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Regards