“Great stay, beautiful hotel”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Great stay, beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal to both celebrate my birthday and to have a good look round before our wedding here in may 2014. When I made the booking for a standard room I mentioned the birthday celebration so when we arrived I was very pleased to find we had been upgraded to a beautiful four posted bed room with a jacuzzi bath! I also received a birthday card which was a lovely touch. During our visit we did one of the designated walks which was lovely and the views are amazing. Our dinner reservation was at 9pm so before hand we had some drinks in the courtyard bar. Drinks were quite pricey but the bar was a lovely setting. Our evening meal was very good and we were bought 2 glasses of champagne on the house, again as a birthday treat from the hotel, another lovely touch! The main restaurant is nice and the live pianist made for a lovely atmosphere. Breakfast the next day was good, with plenty of choice. The reason for only 4 stars and not 5 is because the hotel is a little tired round the edges and the driveway does really need re-doing because of the pot holes. Overall we had a fantastic time and can't wait to get married here next year!

1 Thank LMC86
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear LMC86,

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent birthday stay here with us at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Collection. I'm so glad my team recognised it was your birthday and made your stay that extra bit special and now you can't wait to get married here. I'm pleased to let you know that work starts on the driveway next week to repair it and we are also continuing our ongoing rejuvenation of the hotel over the coming months. I look forward to welcoming you back for your wedding next year.

Steve Cook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Great setting but hotel a warren - corridors and stairs and doors everywhere with some very confusing signage. The health club was good and the walk from room to gym/ pool was a great warm up! Food was god but not amazing and service was the same. Some lovely public areas were let down by loads of empty glasses, crockery etc. with so many different types of user - golfers,weddings, families, business, leisure, members to name a few it will always be a challenge to be exceptional in everything but with more emphasis put on looking at how the customers "unique" experience can be made a wow then good would become amazing.

1 Thank SeanHumby
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear SeanHumby,

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay here with us, I always value feedback which allows us to improve on what we are doing and I will ensure your comments are taken on board and action taken to help us move good to amazing.

Worcester
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as a birthday treat from my partner. A little disappointed as the hotel was aware of this but no extras were given, every birthday I go somewhere and have always had a room upgrade or chocolates etc.. We were a little dis heartened as yes we were in the rooms at the back, long walk through, however the room was fine, clean & tidy overlooking car park, the only complaint I would of had is that in the mornings it sounded like a tap was running outside of the window??
Had dinner included, average nothing too special as it is a limited menu I struggled. Nice starter and pudding but bland mains.
Afternoon tea was lovely!
The spa area is nice.
I may return if I needed to be close to Manchester but would like a nicer room.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Shellycus,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was upset to read that you did not get any acknowledgement of it being your birthday whilst you were here. If we are aware we always like to do something a little for our guests celebrating special occasions; i'm sorry that this did not happen. I glad to see you enjoyed our afternoon tea and spa and I do hope you will return to stay with us next time you are visiting the area.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Lovely setting and v tranquil. Breakfast v substantial with everything you could want. Didn't have evening meal as restaurant was fully booked on two of our evenings; not a problem as several very good eateries in Bollington a few miles away.
Rooms are very comfortable and spotless but could do with a refurb. Staff friendly and efficient, though the reception staff didn't inform us that restaurant was fully booked when I phoned to reconfirm our room booking, even though I asked about whether it was necessary to book a table ahead.
Agree with earlier reviewer; needs urgent investment in refurb to match wonderful setting and grounds.
A very nice break though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear foodiesCanterbury,

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and room, it is a shame that you could not get to dine with us in the evening and I will address the fact that you weren't offered a table when you phoned with my team. I'm pleased to let you know that the hotel has just begun a rolling program of refurbishment which will continue over the coming months to refresh and rejuvenate the hotel. I do hope you will return soon to see the positive changes we have made.

Midlands
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. Our room was at the rear of the hotel; it was comfortable and a reasonable size but the bathroom was in need of a refit and the shower's water pressure was very poor. Customer service was bizarrely variable and ranged from indifference to complete attentiveness. The leisure facilities were disappointing. The Steam room and Sauna looked very dated although they both did what they are designed to do. The Jacuzzi was ok but very noisy, which made it difficult to relax by the poolside. The Restaurant was open and comfortable and the menu was varied albeit a little pretentious (They did not have the English wine that we ordered and ‘Samphire’ was actually ‘Spinach’ or perhaps the chef does not know the difference.); however the food was well cooked and nicely presented and the waiters/waitresses were very friendly. The restaurant had two large groups which meant that staff struggled to cope at dinner and at breakfast and this has definitely influenced our review of this hotel. Overall, this hotel was a little disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rigel_800,

I was sorry to read of your disappointment during your recent stay here with us. The hotel is currently undertaking a rolling program of refurbishment in which sauna and steam room will be addressed. I'm sorry that the English wine you ordered was not available, this is a brand new addition to our wine list and is proving to be very popular, so unfortunately we had run out during your stay. I do hope you will return to stay with us again so we can demonstrate the positive changes we have made.

Holmesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We cycled from Sheffield to Shrigley as part of a girls trip. There were 4 of us. On arrival the staff were delightful and found us a place to store our bikes. We used the Spa - lounging around in the sauna, jacuzzi and steam room!! Dinner was absolutely delicious. The food is very high standard and there was a menu option for £29.50 for three courses. We were on the lower rate for the rooms, so our rooms were adequate, clean and practical. All in all a great location with fab staff.

Dear Aoife K,

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Collection. The bike ride from Sheffield must have been hard work and i'm glad we were able to help you relax and unwind. i do hope you will visit us again the next time you are cycling this way.

Macclesfield
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel staff were very welcoming and experienced, the course was in excellent condition and the views were stunning. The food, beverage and service were much better than some more expensive venues, and nothing was too much trouble, I would recommend this hotel and golf course to anyone that likes a challenge on the course and comfort of facilities

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Chris C,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent golf break here at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. It is always pleasing to receive great feedback on our team and I will ensure this is passed onto them. Our golf course is definitely challenging and i'm glad you enjoyed playing it. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,563 reviews
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!