“A very nice hotel and stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
“A very nice hotel and stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed one night on business with full day meeting onsite,The hotel is situated in some fantastic grounds and has a great view from its entrance. The staff were all very professional and check in/out was smooth. I had a room in the main house, it was very well finished and décor in tune with the period property. For dinner we ate as part of a large group 40+ that can challange some htels but the food was of a very good standard with good staff serving. The buffet breakfast selection was good and they had a staff member serving hot drinks to the tables, nice touch. A great stay would visit again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear ngeddie1602,

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. We feel that we are unique venue for meetings and events and i'm glad that shone through during your stay. I was delighted to read your positive commnets on our food and team and will ensure these are shared. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Steve Cook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Accrington, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel and its setting are fabulous. The food was out of this world. The problem was staffing; not enough staff to cover all the work necessary. Many of the staff are young and inexperienced. We arrived for check-in at 2.30 p.m. and even though check-in was 2.00 p.m., our room was not ready and we were given a voucher to get a coffee in the lounge. On day two, a breakfast tray had been left on the landing floor to be collected, in the afternoon it was still there, so I went to reception and informed them; in the evening it was still there, so again I went to reception. Eventually, it was removed about 9 p.m. by the Duty Manager (not very gracefully, I might add). If the owners of this lovely place want to keep their 4* rating, they need to address the staffing/training. I must add though that all of the staff were helpful and pleasant, just too busy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Majorette_Mamma,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay here with us at Shrigley hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. i was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and your comments about the food are much appreciated. We have a great hardworking team here and i'm sorry that during your stay we were experiencing some staff shortages that had an impact on your enjoyment. I can assure you we have addressed these vacancies and are working hard to ensure are high standards are maintained. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Ok. Firstly, great location, beautiful building and fabulous grounds and history. Many more positives than negatives. However, no 4star hotel should be employing so many kids who obviously don't want to be there and/or have not been properly trained to deal with the usual calibre of guests. Surly and bored mostly with no common sense, social skills or graces. Receptionist to start with. We asked about upgrades with a view at a cost. We were offered a four poster with "not much view" for £20 or a suite for £70. There was no effort to fulfil our needs or smile and she was not really helpful. Asked if we needed help with our bags, we declined and then had a 15 minute trek to our room!! Was the question asked because she had to? Would have been nice to have been told how far it was and she must have known... Pool and facilities good. Room a little tired, not 4 star. Heard someone ask for lemon in their drink...sorry we've run out. Later someone wanted ketchup in the bar....chef forgot to order it! Laughable. Trays from room service sat outside doors forever, not what l call four star. Breakfast was quite poor on quality. Black pudding and beans on menu, but...you got it, we've run out. Croissants? Uh uh... run out! Could have been fab with some tweaking but no one seemed bothered to try. Evening meal was excellent for quality and value. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but the devil is in the detail at this level. People going through the motions isn't what you expect.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade (and don't go with Groupon, they give you the worst rooms miles away) possibl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul M
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Paul M,

Thank you for you review following your recent stay here with us. I was upset to read of the issues you were faced with; I totally agree with you that the devil is in the detail and, on this occasion, we definately let you and ourselves down. I can assure you that your constructive comments will be taken on board and actions put in place to address them. We always strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I do hope you will consider returning to stay with us again to allow us the opportunity to shine.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my partner, we only live an hour away and thought it would be a nice way to get away from home without too much travel involved. We have stayed in a number of different 4 * hotels throughout UK and not been disappointed with the level of service and whole experiences. However unfortunately we were both disappointed with this hotel. It was not up to the 4* we have previously experienced. The rooms were very clean and tidy, but the hallways were not plates and cups piled high, even though check in was not until 2pm. During the evening meal the waiting staff were not very attentive, not serving drinks or taking our order until at least 15 minutes after being seated. Then brought the bill without even offering desert! I would not recommend this hotel if you are used to staying in 4* good quality hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rhi W,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here with us; I was upset to read of the poor service you received from my restaurant teama and I have passed your comments onto my Restaurant Manager to address with her team. We are always striving to improve our standards and service and your constructive comments will help us to do that. Please accept my apologies for the poor dining experince; I do hope you will consider staying with us again to allow us to demonstrate the high standards I know we normally acheive.

Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

An unpretentious friendly hotel, clean comfortable rooms. We enjoyed a really superb evening meal in the restaurant and would be happy to return. Breakfast was an excellent selection and again good quality food. Fantastic grounds and views, the perfect place for a short break.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Pip R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your short break and in particular the dining experience and our fantastic grounds. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

My mum and sister took me here for a treat a couple of weeks before my wedding. When we arrived we had a few issues with our room, firstly the cleaning hadn't been finished, we had a double bed when we requested two singles, but the main problem was that there was a man in the room doing maintenance. We went down to reception to ask that at the very least the man be removed from our room. We were then given another room.

Please do not book beauty treatments here. I had an eyelash and eyebrow tint, before the therapist started I explained that my fair hair colour was natural so please could she just tint my eyebrows the lightest shade of brown. She agreed but she left the tint on too long and they were BLACK. When I mentioned this to her she said that this was the fashion at the moment. I didn't care about the latest trend - I was getting married in 2 weeks time! I didn't carry on the discussion as there was nothing to be done to fix my poor face. I just couldn't believe a trained person had done this. I also heard another therapist moaning about the customers to my therapist which didn't make for a very relaxed atmosphere.

On the plus side we had some nice meals and enjoyed the lovely grounds. I would possibly stay again but would avoid the spa at all costs.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Europeangirl91,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here with us. I was truly upset to read of your poor experience in the spa and i've passed your comments onto our beauty manager to address with the individual involved; I can assure you that this is not indicative of the normal standards of service from our team and we will ensure this does not happen again. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay; congratulations on your upcoming wedding, I am sure you will have an amazing day and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Macclesfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Excellent sevices. Beautiful Hotel. Quality of food / beauty traetments exceptional. Excellent packages available in the spa.
Girls Night in package was outstanding value for money and we couldn't have been happier with the whole experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear cthomas2708,

Thank you for your positive comments follwoing your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Girls Night In experience and I do hope you will return for another stay here with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
Crewe Hall
Crewe Hall
#2 of 9 in Crewe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,047 reviews

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!