“Prices misleading, wouldn't go back again.”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked a 2 night stay for 2 adults and 2 children on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis and paid in full (about £290) at the time of booking. However, upon checkout we were hit with a further £50 just for childrens' meals. When I questioned this I was told I should've read the terms and conditions, even though the booking page clearly stated the full price is for dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children. That really annoyed me as I felt completely ripped off by Puma Hotels as the T&Cs give you the impression that is a breakdown of what you are paying for kids and not an additional charge. I emailed them about it but again was told to read the T&C's.

The hotel itself is located on a hill with amazing views and lovely grounds. We loved the walks and even had deer run past us which was amazing. Inside, the hotel is clean but it is obvious it hasn't been renovated since it opened in the 1980's. The food was average and the menu very limited (about 4 options per course). The restaurant staff were pleasant but extremely slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing. Breakfast was average and we were just sat at a table and left to find our own way around. Nobody offered us any tea or coffee or explained where everything was.

We stayed in Room 211 which was a large room with a bed on a platform (a bit like a stage which was weird) and a sofa bed for the kids. I wouldn't recommend this room at all if you're claustrophobic as it doesn't have any windows. What a shame considering the views! I was worried about how we could escape if there was a fire near the front door as it was the only possible exit. It had two very large sky lights that kept us awake with the moonlight shining through. As with the rest of the hotel, the decor was very dated. The hotel would not suit modern decor, but this felt tired and in need of a revamp with a traditional theme.

We had afternoon tea on the day we arrived and the lady who served us was lovely. She was really polite and helpful. In general, the hotel staff are very pleasant and it's location is excellent. It's just a shame Puma Hotels do not know how to advertise their prices fairly, nor adequately deal with any complaints as it made me think more of the negative points. The 2 night stay ended up costing us over £400 which I felt really wasn't worth it. I would've paid this for a more luxurious hotel but the reality is the accommodation and food are not worthy of 4 stars. For the cost, there are a lot of hotels out there that are much better so unless you get it on a cheap deal I wouldn't recommend Shrigley Hall.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 211 if you're claustrophobic as it doesn't have any windows!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariposa1980
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Mariposa1980,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here with us. I must firstly apologise regarding the inconvience you experienced regarding the Terms & Conditions and with the overall stay. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme throughout to revamp the decor. Its great to hear you found the staff pleasant and I will most certainly pass this onto the team, how amazing you saw the deer. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes we are making.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed at Shrigley 2nd November for Spa week-end. Excellent weekend. Service in the restaurant was good, apart from waiting 5 minutes to be seated, although there were only the two of us in the queue. However the food was very good although the menu was limited.

Nice gesture of a half bottle of champagne in the room which was a lovely touch.

The leisure complex staff were very helpful and pleasent.

The views from the hotel are breath taking.

The only downfall is the walk from the bedroom to dining room/reception, was confusing.
Definetly stay again, maybe in the summer to appreciate the beauty of the grounds.

Room Tip: request a room close to stairs/reception, otherwise you could easily get lost.
1  Thank Michelecox

Dear Michelecox,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted you had a lovely Spa weekend. I will ensure to pass your comments onto the restaurant and leisure team. I hope to welcome you back in the summer to experience our beautiful grounds more.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We enjoyed everything about our stay as Shrigley Hall, the room we had on the second floor was a delux twin which was a lovely room, the bathroom was very clean and bright and had a very good shower and a jaccuzi bath, we had lovely dressing gowns and slippers which were great to use at the spar.

We had a bar meal on the first night which was very good and the restaurant food was excellent.

All the staff were very helpfull and polite and nothing was to much trouble.

We did one of the walks which were recomended on the Saturday which was great.

I would definatly stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 216 was a good room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank latocha2013

Dear latocha2013,

Thank you for your lovely feeback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your upgraded room and our facilities on offer; I will ensure to pass your comments onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

As a Leisurebreaks card holder we have been to a number of Puma Hotels. This is not their best. Housekeeping in public areas needs tweaking (cobwebs in restaurant) and slow restaurant service. However, the staff, food and room were all good (after broken bed replaced).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear TimShepp,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us. I apologise for the stay you experienced, our hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment throughout. Nice to hear you enjoyed the food on offer and our pleasant team. I hope we can welcome you back as a Lesiurebreaks member in the near future to impress with the positive changes being made.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel is in an elevated location with views over the Cheshire plain.
It is a large sprawling hotel and our room was a good five minute walk from reception and the dining room through a maze of corridors and using two lifts. The room was very small, with a sloping ceiling over the bed, making the bed only accessible from one side. There was also a sky light in the ceiling that could not be properly covered by the curtain making the room very bright as there was a security light outside our room. It was equipped with a good sized tv, tea tray and free wifi. The bathroom was also small and cold as the heated towel rail had had the fuse removed whilst it is undergoing servicing.
Dinner and service was very good and well presented, the only down side is the portions are very small. Wine prices are also quite expensive. Breakfast was also very good being a buffet style with plenty of hot and cold food choices available.
The leisure centre was again a long walk and not easy to find but had a small swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi. Unfortunately tha steam room was closed for repair.
The golf course is a good challenge to any golfer and was in good condition considering the weather. When we played on a Sunday afternoon it was very busy with four balls and took five hours to get round, far too long when we were only a two ball.
Over all not a bad hotel but let down by the standard of the rooms.

Room Tip: A room in the old part of the hotel will be closer to the hotel facilities.

Dear trelynn,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us. I was upset to hear of your experience and sincerely apologise for this. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment throughout which will address the bedrooms, I can positively say our lesiure department has made considerable improvements recently. Great to hear you enjoyed the food and service. I hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience new changes being made.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Well what a change in 4 years...pool the same, common areas all re carpeted and decorated including new chandeliers. Room we were in was very modern and well fitted..restuarant food was very good. Bar staff were thin on the ground and breakafast staff too...allegdly due to staff sickness etc. All in all a massive improvement on the tatty old place a few years ago. just make sure you get an updated room as there are some old ones around we were told.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the new wings are all modernised now?

Dear Mike D,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Its wonderful to hear you have experienced our recent changes within the hotel, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment throughout. I hope we can welcome you back again in the near furture to acknowledge more positive changes being made.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I read the previous reviews and was a little uncertain as to what I would find. However, I am pleased to write that all my concerns were unfounded.
The drive to the Hotel is magnificent, if you come from the east, and the hotel is beautifully set. On arrival the reception staff were very welcoming and helped me checked in, showed us where the room was and where the car could be parked and how to find the convenient rear entrance. I also made a mistake and left something at home (250 miles away) but the reception staff were absolutely wonderful and helped me resolve it and ensured that we could still attend an event in Manchester.
We stayed in a family room which is way up on the 3rd floor but away from all the hotel noise, room was a good size and perfect for us.
We ate in the courtyard bar and the staff there couldn’t have been more attentive, very welcoming to our two children and the food was of excellent quality.
Breakfast was delicious, food served was hot and there was a good range. Pastries and fruit were crisp and fresh and the staff were helpful. There are signs throughout the hotel advising that the later you attend breakfast the greater chance you have of experiencing a delay. Both days were arrived around 08:30 and had no problem.
During our stay there were two weddings, to be honest, other than spotting a bridesmaid and seeing a sign of the newlyweds name you wouldn’t have known.
We used the spa facilities on both days, pool is a good size and children are welcome any time. Yes the Jacuzzi was only half bubbled and the steam room out of use but again you are advised. Didn’t take anything away from our enjoyment.
Would recommend the Shrigley Hall, it has grandeur and a quirky layout which I think adds to the charm. Hopefully would be able to stay again.

Room Tip: 369, family room by rear car park
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kim B,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm thrilled to hear your family had a great experience thoughout your stay; I will ensure to pass your rewarding comments onto all the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!