“Excellent Hotel”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed 25 November 2013

First time we have used a Puma Hotel and we shall certainly use them again. We were on a short break through Prima magazine and the value for money was incredible. Room was great and the food both breakfast and evening meal was excellent. Staff were extremely friendly and made us feel most welcome. Shrigley Hall is well placed for visiting many places including Chatsworth and Chester.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Jake J,

Thank you for your great review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read you had an excellent stay with us during your short break and will be passing your lovely comments onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Saffron

Write a ReviewReviews (2,822)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here I was slightly worried about what to expect. I stayed at shrigley from 22 to 24 November on a spa package with my mum and sister, we had a lovely time. On arrival we checked in and were allocated rooms at the back of the hotel, we were in a rush as we had treatment's booked in for about 3.30 and 4pm (checked in at 3.15). So the reception asked one of the staff (Damon I think!) to take us to our rooms then take us straight to the spa, couldn't fault him at all he was friendly and chatty, the hotel is very big and yes it is a bit of a maze to get around but he described how the layout worked and we never got lost! He got us to the spa in time only to find that we didn't have a booking, but they had us all booked in for the next morning. Food was very nice, great choice for breakfast all the restaurant staff very friendly and attentive. Bedrooms were nice and clean, although we were at the back of the hotel it only took no more than 5 mins to walk from the restaurant to the room. Would stay here again definitely!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 243 twin room ,nicely decorated but what I noticed is the ceiling in bathroom is l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear colja32,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Nice to read of your lovely Spa weekend with your mum and sister; I will ensure to pass your praise onto Damon and the rest of the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at Shrigley Hall for one night on Friday 15th November 2013.

Our room was lovely. Very spacious and clean (can't remember which room number it was, but we had a lovely bay window with a view of the church and another window to the right of the room with stunning views of the golf course and surrounding areas) The bed was HUGE and amazingly comfy - I'm a bit OCD when it comes to hotel beds and like to check the cleanliness of the sheets etc before I sleep, and to my relief, they were all spotlessly clean!
The bathroom was also nice and clean, with a good selection of bath products.

Other areas of the hotel were slightly dated (mainly the decor in the corridoors) but we feel that this added to the charm of Shrigley Hall. Nothing seemed dirty or noticeably in need of replacement. The entrance hall is pretty extravagant with a beautiful chandelier. There was a big wedding on as we arrived and we did wonder if this would cause lots of noise late into the evening, or if lots of wedding guests would crowd the main areas, but it caused no problems - It took place in a function room on the far side of the hotel and we had no issues with noise from the evening do.

We made use of the pool area (on both days) This was lovely. The lad on the pool/spa reception desk was very welcoming and provided us with free towels and gave us some information about the facilities and just told us to ask If we needed anything. The changing rooms were clean and spacious and the pool area was also kept clean. The pool was a good temperature and the jacuzzi was lovely! The sauna and steam rooms were good too - my partner spent more time in there than I did, but he said they were great!

We went off to a pub for dinner, the Legh Arms, just a 5 minute drive from the hotel.

We had breakfast at Shrigley Hall the next morning (this was included in our stay) There was quite a large qeue of people waiting to be seated in the lobby area and we wondered if there would be a long wait, but it shifted quickly, and a very lovely, helpful waitress showed us to a seat and told us to start on the buffet when we were ready. The food was of a good standard and there was a lot of hot and cold breakfast food to pick from. The tea bags were posh (honestly, you'd have to see them to know what I mean) and my partner loved the coffee from the machine. The breakfast room was very busy (I think a lot of the diners may have been guests from the wedding the night before) Our table felt very slap-bang in the middle of everyone which felt a bit intrusive, and personally, it would've been nicer to sit somewhere quieter, but obviously I understand this isn't possible when the hotel is very busy.

We went for a walk around the grounds afterwards. Unfortunately it had been raining heavily so we didn't explore as much as we would've liked, as we didn't fancy getting muddy. The golf course was a little difficult to navigate without fear of being hit by a golf ball - possibly the easy routes/trails were not easily accessible as the weather had been bad (or we just didn't look hard enough for them!) Either way, it'd be lovely to walk around again leisurely some time - Without the typical dreary English weather.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and we'd both definitely go back again - Probably for two nights to really make the most of it (and I'll probably Indulge in some spa treatments!)

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear vickylou88,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm overjoyed to read of your excellent stay and that you thoroughly enjoyed the facilities we have on offer. I hope we can welcome you back again soon to maybe explore the grounds in sunnier weather and indulge in those spa treatments.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

A grand and imposing hotel as you drive up is spoilt by the tired rooms and poor food. A clear lack of investment, old fixtures and fittings in rooms which are clean but poorly maintained. Won't be returning!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bardo61

Dear Bardo61,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us. I must apologise your experience wasn't as expected, our hotel is currently about to undergo a refurbishment project which will make an amazing difference to our bedrooms and tackle the problems you've highlighted. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future to see the positive changes we are making throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here for a short, lovely weekend away with the family. Met amazing and friendly bar staff (Jessica and georgina) meal was very tasty but the restaurant service was not up to four star standards.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Meggette
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Meggette,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Brilliant to read our bar staff made your night, I will pass on your praise to the relevant people mentioned and also ensure our service standards are reviewed. I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremely comfortable. The food is top quality and well presented,service by efficient staff exceptional.
My only concern is the amount of stairs, anybody with limited mobility is going to struggle,
There is a grand staircase from the reception area but to get to my room which was at the back of the hotel I had 4 sets of stair to cope with.
The wedding venue , The tilden suite is approached from the large car park on the flat .The venue is approached from the hotel side is up a flight of steep stairs,,this should be pointed out at reception and advise given.
Hotel rooms were well equipped and comfortable

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Ann L,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Lovely to read the wedding you attended you enjoyed the food and found our staff exceptional; I will ensure to pass your comments on and also highlight how the Tilden suite is advised to guests. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Ideally we would give it 3.5 stars as it was better than average but not a patch on other 4* we have stayed in. Building is lovely, room was large (room 106 - a delucxe room) and comfortable. Staff were all welcoming and friendly with the exception of some of the restaurant staff. There were a few staff in the restaurant who appeared very inexperienced, looked uncomfotable, miserable and were not knowledable about the menu. The food was mixed - some really good dishes but some very poor ones too. Service at dinner time was not up to 4* - no selection of bread, only offered bread once, had to ask for a re-fill of water twice, wine served so late my husband had nearly finished his course. I asked for ice-cream instead of brandy cream with dessert but it came with the advertised brandy cream. Little things but lots of them that could have been better.
Outside of the restaurant staff were uniformally great.
Overal we were actually pretty happy with our stay - it should have cost about £500 for DBB for 2 nights but as we had vouchers to use it cost us about £200. We would have been disappointed to have had the stay we had for £500.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrKJ1

Dear DrKJ1,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here with us. It was lovely to read you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed one of our lovely Deluxe rooms. I will be taking your comments back to the team to ensure our staff are fully briefed and review training to ensure our high standards are delivered throughout the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
Alderley Edge Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!