“Excellent”

Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I decided to take a break just after Christmas on New Years Day and take advantage of the Puma hotel deals.
Pott Shrigley is a very nice location surrounded by Cheshire countryside but seven miles from Stockport and a couple to Macclesfield its grounds include a full size golf course which includes lots of trails and walks and great views.
The leisure centre is in an old converted church building.
A full buffet breakfast is offered with eggs cooked to choice and this was very hot and tasty.
The Dinner menu was varied and well presented my only minor issue was the special deal menu we used had a fairly high up charge for the steak but not a big deal really.
The rooms are excellent, clean and comfortable even if they are being upgraded.
My real reason for writing is regarding the service which is superb, everyone went out of the way to make us feel good, the receptionist , quick, helpful, informed, smart and listens.
The waiters and waitresses - can not be faulted from the smiles the efficiency, helpfulness and humor even after a Christmas and New Years busy schedule.
The leisure/fitness staff - smiles and very helpful.
I would like to thank them all for making both mine and my wives stay so very good, the hotel is full of history and in an ideal location with lovely rooms but the biggest asset is its great team which makes the hotel a must for us to return too.
They all deserve a big bonus and some recognition about there importance in the hotels success.
Thanks and a Happy 2014 to them all.

2  Thank agecroft
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear agecroft,

Thank you for your very thoughful review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read of yours and your wife's excellent stay and that everything was to your liking from the idillic surroundings to our variety of eggs. It's a delight to pass on your praise to all the team here, in which they will be most grateful. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
A very happy New Year to you both too.

Saffron

Write a ReviewReviews (2,869)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Whilst the setting for the hotel is superb, the description online of the delux rooms was misleading and my room was no larger than many others are a less cost. The only advantage was a bath robe and water! (Tap water is not drinkable!!!) Very poor value for money if you take the delux rooms. Also free WiFi very slow.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank BazzaHawkeye

Dear BazzaHawkeye,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. I do apologise your experience within our deluxe room wasn't as expected on arrival, these are sold as our best rooms due to the view they receive over the Peak District. However I will take your comments back to the team regarding the value of the room. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed at hotel for a friends wedding last November. On arrival, early evening the hotel look fabulous. I was on my own and was advised I could dine in the bar area, as the restaurant was booked up, which I did. The staff in the bar were excellent, very polite and professional. The coq au vin was delicious. I am used to navigating hotel rooms, but I cannot believe I found my way back to my room later in the evening. 1 lift and a walk around the maze of corridors and doorways..... and another lift. So getting to and from these rooms will be difficult if you are not fit! My room must have been in the old part of the hotel, the room was nice with a double bed, had all the comforts but lacked a bit of charm. The bathroom was very basic. Breakfast the next day was excellent. From the other reviews it appears the hotel is having a facelift, which is needed. Overall I enjoyed my stay, and would recommend and visit again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jo M,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Nice to read you enjoyed your stay for your friends wedding. I will pass on your excellent praise to the staff and the chefs for the great food you received. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon for your next stay and for you to experience the new exciting changes being made throughout.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past 2 years and my experience has gone from great to poor.
The building is fabulous, situated on a hill and surrounded by a golf course. The inside has the grandeur of a typical old UK mansion. The rooms in the main building are very stylish according to the building itself - but don´t expect anything modern. Beds in those rooms are good and the bathroom is fine, although it is odd that you have to close the bathroom door, else the fire alarm will go off. A number of colleagues of mine had this and it is quite unpleasant. Even in the main building you have quite a number of stairs and doors to reach your room and they are a hassle with luggage.
Breakfast is great, with a lot of choice and friendly staff in a wonderful breakfast room. The bar food was quite nice during the earlier stays, but service has deteriorated much. In winter it can get freezing though when sitting near a window as these seem to be single glazed.

Every following time I go the same nice room and had a pleasant stay. However the last few times I got rooms very far into building and it is a maze to get there, without very clear room indications. You walk endless with your luggage and you can get easily lost. When taking the emergency stairs we noticed a very unpleasant mouldy smell which kept hanging there all the days we stayed there. The rooms in that far area of the hotel are very small and hopelessly outdated. In the main building the rooms are in synch with the building and have a somewhat old charm, these rooms are just not worth the money. The travel agency of my company changed, but you would expect your name would be recognized and given the same room you liked.

The service in the bar was appalling the last time. For lunch we waited endlessly - although it was very nice weather on the terrace. The staff seemed young and inexperienced.

At night we were told in the restaurant we could choose from the restaurant menu in the bar. Strangely enough you need to reserve upfront for the restaurant and that seems a complicated system when you´re unsure when your business meetings or day will end. Once in the bar, we were told differently and could not order anything from the restaurant. The chef supposedly didn't like this....? After discussing back and forth, we finally could get that food, but then it took ages before we got it. The chef was apparently busy..... Once we got to desserts there were other complications and again it seemed to have been related to the chef. In the end the bar staff made our deserts (??). In itself helpful, but there were clear problems with the chef and to me the staff were too open about the issues.
We were working with our laptops and had them charged into a wall socket. When warning the staff not to fall over the charger cord, the staff confessed they would actually like to call in sick to have a day off. On top of that they at some point poured themselves a lot drinks and went outside to the terrace. When in the doorway they called out we were welcome to stay....

I will have to go to Macclesfield in a week and have reserved another hotel. I read Shrigley is undergoing a renovation - this is very much needed. I could not recommend this hotel any more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. If you have a lot of luggage or are with older family members...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Floor W

Dear Bcn M,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. I'm very upset to read your experience with us over the years has deteriorated and for this I must sincerely apologise. As you have read our hotel is currently and continuing to undergo a refurbishment programme which will improve most of our bedrooms. I must again apologise for the service you received in our resident bar and for the confusion over ordering from the menus, I will certainly relay these comments back to our bars manager and review the teams customer service standards and ensure these are trained and maintained. I really hope we can welcome you back in the near future as a regular guest of ours to experience the positive changes being made and restore your great stays with us.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel is beautiful,set in a spectacular golf course where you can walk in great surroundings. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
We had our evening meal in the hotel and choose from the main meal 'Platter to Share' a 'Game Platter'.There was certainly not enough to share even as a starter for some would be sparse.The menu said "Charcuterie of cured game meats" in the plural, you only received one meat, "Pickled quail eggs" there were no quail eggs served, "Game chips" these were the vegetable crisps you get from the supermarket or any shop,"served with warm rustic bread" this was 2 cold slices of bread. As we were looking forward to a nice meal and were very dissappointed other things which I propbably would have just remarked on but not bothered about began to add up. Some of the cuttelry at breakfast was dirty, some of the menus had pages missing from them, our room wasn't ready on our arrival despite arriving at 15.45, the steam room was out of order, the sauna is very small for the size of the hotel and extra guests who use the health spa. It can comfortably fit 4, 5 at a push, which resulted in people almost queuing to use it, not very relaxing. The changing rooms are certainly not 4* in comparrison to other similar hotels, quite basic.
All in all don't let it put you off going but Shrigley "Pull your socks up"

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear YorkshireQuail,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. Good to read you enjoyed our idillic surroundings and helpful staff, however I'm saddened to read of the rest of your experience, I will ensure to pass your comments to all relevant departments also regarding the 'Game Platter' on to our Chefs. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme throughout the hotel which one of the focuses is the health and leisure club so will highlight the points you've made. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the new positive changes being made.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had stayed at Shrigley Hall in the summer and had picked up a brochure about New Year. We stayed 2 nights and as before the food was very good. The staff at this hotel are very friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and well equipped.The New Years dinner was very good.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lorraine D,

Thank you for your nice review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Its great to read you returned to experience our New Years package and that you thought the staff, food and room were very good. I look forward to welcoming you back throughout the year and maybe for next New Years package too.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The approach to Shrigley is nothing short of idilllic. We were met with enthusiasm by professional, helpful staff, In fact, over our 2 day stay we noticed how relaxed and happy the staff were. We went for restaurant package with 3 course meal at the end of the day and loved the menu, the quality of service and food. The grounds are beautiful and you are able to take a variety of walks around the busy golf course. The gym has everything required for a proper work out, which we utilised and then took advantage of the pool and jacuzzi. We will most certainly return. Thanks all at the hotel.

1  Thank Matthew W

Dear Matthew W,

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read you had a great stay and glad you enjoyed all the amenities on offer throughout the hotel. I will ensure to pass your review onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to experience more we have to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Travelodge Macclesfield Adlington

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!