“bad customer service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
London, United Kingdom
“bad customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

me and my partner booked this as a package deal for a romantic weekend away. At first all went well, we were given a large modern room and the food in the restaurant was lovely. However after dinner we went back to the hotel room only to find there had been a power cut in the room. We reported it to reception and they came to try and fix it, however they said that we would have to move rooms for the remainder of the stay. We went back to reception with our bags and they took us to some rooms at the far end of the hotel. The room they then gave us was definitely not the standard of room we had been given previously. It had very old decor, much smaller, a very old TV and the whole room just felt drab compared to the large clean fresh modern room we had first been given. We complained at the desk and they said that unless we wanted to pay more to upgrade, they were unable to do anything about it. This was ridiculous after all the problems had started due to a fault with their electrics. They were not understanding or helpful what so ever - and quite frankly they were pretty rude!

Room Tip: ask for one of the updated rooms!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hanx29x
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear hanx29x,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm very upset to read of the service you received. We know from time to time situations such as faults do happen that can't be forseen, however I'm disappointed you feel our customer service wasn't helpful during this issue and I will look into this for you. Some of our rooms are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to be modernised, so I apologise again that you wasn't accommodated in a similar room that you was originally allocated. I do hope we can welcome you back to regain your trust and satisfaction within our hotel.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Accrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We were recommended this hotel on high standards, we were very disappointed with certain aspects of our stay. We have stayed in lots of 4 star hotels around the country, this was the first time in a Puma Hotel.
We would not say this was 4 Star standard, our room was very dated and the bathroom had a lot to be desired. There were hair in the bath, it looked like it had had a cheap revamp and the water pressure from the shower was dreadful, it took me an age to wash my hair.

On arrival at the restaurant we were seated our drinks order was taken after 10 minutes along with our menu choice, we then had to wait a further 55 minutes before our starter arrived. We as were other guests sat with dirty plates in front of us for longer than we require acceptable.

At breakfast, we were stood waiting 20 minutes before we were allocated a table, then at the buffet there was a further queue as the buffet table was empty, we had to wait for the food to be cooked.

The hotel was obviously very short staffed this weekend which showed in the quality of the food and service. The staff that did attend to us where very nice and friendly but I'm afraid it was too little too late.

We very rarely have to write a bad review but ion this occasion it was avoidable, we would find it hard to book into a Puma Hotel again. Sorry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank TaraD79
Dear TaraD79,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm upset to read of your disappointing stay and must sincerely apologise for the issues you encountered. We do have a refurbishment programme set in place to revamp and modernise our bedrooms which will be carried out throughout the early part of this year. The weekends are our busiest periods within the restaurant, however this is no excuse for the downfall in service you received and I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team so they are aware and again I apologise. I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future to experience the positive changes that we are continuing to make.

Travellers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

went to a wedding fair this weekend very good and lots of other lovely wedding ideas. lovely rooms to hire for occasion. service was very good and well priced for what you want. also the grounds are super and what lovely views and great for golfing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear bagpussDerbyshire,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Great to read you enjoyed our annual wedding fayre at the weekend and sourced lots of different ideas, including our lovely function suites and rooms to hire for that special day. I Hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Had an impromptu weekend away. The setting is lovely and check in was straight forward. Our room was clean,but dated. Went to the spa for some relaxation. The changing rooms are cramped, showers in need of maintenance. The general condition of the whole spa was poor. It was very bright and cramped. Not enough space for guests..we stayed about 20 minutes and went back to the room. Evening meal was an effort. The service was very slow. There was no organisation with the waiting staff. Eventually got the main course, but it was dry as it had clearly been sitting on the hot plate for ages. Also ordered a bottle of wine,but after chasing it, as it hadn't appeared for 30 minutes,we were told that it wasn't in stock and had to re-order! The duty manger came over and did her best to explain. In fairness to her she didn't charge us for the wine, but the whole kitchen and restaurant needs organisation. This was the same for breakfast..it was chaos. The actual staff are pleasant, but the hotel is in desperate need of a overhaul of it's working practices. Whist we had some quality time together, I wouldn't come back.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Silversufer
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Silversufer,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I'm upset to read of your experience during your stay and for this I must sincerely apologise. I do know our Lesiure and Spa department have been really busy over the recent weekends, I will pass the comments to the Leisure Manager regarding the space during busy periods. Our restaurant has had a few busy weekends, however this is no excuse for you waiting for food or to re-order out of stock wine and this will be talked through with our restaurant manager to review this system and training to prevent this from happening again. Again I apologise and I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future to allow us to impress you whilst spending further quality time together.

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Beautiful looking hotel from the outside, with gorgeous views. Our room was definately in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was big, bright and not bad but the bedroom was very dark and drab. Thought we would relax and read a book before the party we were attending. No way could you read anything in that light.The room was very cold when we arrived, the radiator had been turned off. It was only when we came back after the party and realised it was leaking, we knew why. Breakfast was very nice and the service we received was ok.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jean lee l
Dear jean lee l,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm sorry to read you didn't find your room suitable for reading due to the lighting conditions, I will look into the room in which you stayed and make our maintenance team aware along with the radiator issue. Again I apologise. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Innerleithen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Gorgeous looking hotel and grounds from the outside, in a lovely location. Family rooms are right at the other end of the hotel, and have clearly been forgotten about - drab, and didn't feel very clean as the room was in need of a complete refurb. That said, we got a good deal with DBB. The restaurant was lovely, great food and extremely friendly staff, so it does pain me to give a poor review of the overall hotel. Don't make the mistake we made, and let your 5-year old son get excited about the pitch and putt before you look at it yourself - it's very small, and had been damaged by the strong winds (fair enough, but please close it, or don't try to charge us £9 to play!).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Mandy R
Dear Mandy R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm upset to read of your disappointment with our family rooms, our hotel has a quirky nature to it which means our family rooms have been built as part of the new build of the hotel, however there is no excuse for them feeling unclean and will pass this to our housekeeping manager. As stated we have experienced very high winds over the winter period and I will make it a priority to look in to the pitch and putt's condition. Lovely you found our restaurant experience great and our staff friendly. I do hope we can welcome yourself and your family back in the near future.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed numerous occasions at Shrigley Hall, my company spend a fortune in this place...., and must say that my visit 2 weeks ago proves that it's all getting a bit tired.
I arrive on a windy/wet night and went to my room, In the old part of the building, spent the whole night listening to my old single glazed wooden windows rattle & rattle.
The room was cold and bathroom colder...... I always get a bit suspicious when you enter a room and the first thing that greets you is a portable heater ready to be used!
The furniture in the room was also a bit tired as well, well scuffed in places.
Breakfast..... typical attempt of a large hotel at a good breakfast, inedible bacon and fried eggs like erasers. Told the waitress to get some fresh eggs cooked.
Interestingly as well, the large conference room we was in beginning to tire as well...... significant old water damage on the ceiling needs tidying up.
Don't get me wrong......... lovely setting etc etc but significant investment required to warrant 4 star quality rating......... luckily I don't pay for this..... if I had at prevailing rate would have needed to discuss with hotel my thoughts.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Colin M
Dear Colin M,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm disappointed to read of your recent stay not being up to expectation and I sincerely apologise for this. Our hotel is very traditional and dates back to 1825, however we are undergoing a refurbishment programme which will carry on throughout 2014 to give the hotel an uplift, this will include the bedrooms and conference rooms which have recently undergone a significant makeover. I will ensure to pass your comments on to the breakfast supervisor regarding keeping the food refreshed and of high quality, I apologise for this. I do hope we can keep welcoming you back to stay with us via your company and that you enjoy the positive chnages we are continuing to make.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,513 reviews
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!