“A most disappointing St Valentines day!”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A most disappointing St Valentines day!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Planned as part of my Fincee's Christmas present, we set off on Friday the 14th of Feb 2014 for our anticipated weekend of relative luxury. We arrived at 16:30 and entered the somewhat dimly lit reception area. On approaching the desk, I noted the nervous looking receptionist and realised bad news was on the horizon. "We are suffering a power cut, as a knock on effect of the Storms" she apologetically informed us. I asked what our options were. "We have no idea when the power might come back on, it could be as late as 9pm. So there is no evening meal, heating, hot water etc and you would be advised no to stay!". She then offered a full refund which would be re-paid as soon as the power comes back on!
We were gutted but natural disasters happen without blame and though disappointing this was far from a disaster. We accepted the promise of a refund and started for home (Liverpool 45 miles away). On the Journey home Gerry my fiancée phoned a couple of friends to see if there were any vacancies in a 50 mile radius, as our dog sitter had moved into our house for the weekend, after half an hour the negative responses came flooding in. It looked like we were spending the weekend at home! No problem, we would open a bottle of sparkly and laugh it off. On arrival back at Liverpool, I suggested (as we were very disappointed) that I make a last call to Shrigley, to see if the power was back on. Imagine our comparative joy when we were told that it came back on an hour ago. It was only 19:00 we could be back there in just over an hour.
We arrived at 20:10 and went to reception cheerfully anticipating a lovely weekend. I briefly explained our recent situation and disappointment to the Lady on reception duty and she handed me an arrivals form to complete, she then said you are in Room 349. On enquiring where the room was, the receptionist gave us a very rushed but complicated description of the route and enquired if we knew where we were going. I answered not really?
This was the turning point regarding this review! The receptionist, on realising I was too stupid to understand her instruction, rolled her eyes as if dealing with a moron, then repeated her directions in a very noticeably frustrated way. We departed reception feeling a little irked and spent the next 10 minutes lugging our luggage through corridors looking for Room 349, we discovered the lift we were tasked to employ but unfortunately the receptionist had neglected to tell us it was out of order! On arrival at the door of room 349 Gerry operated the door card to reveal an attic room taken up almost entirely by the bed. The television was at a right angle to the bed because the sloping ceiling does not allow space for it at the foot of the bed. The roller blind was not large enough to cover the skylight. In short we were presented with a two star room in a 4 star hotel. We phoned Reception to explain that after multiple visits to Shrigley Hall, that this was the worst room we had ever seen let alone been allocated. We were then re-allocated room 248. On approaching room 248 we were alarmed to hear a dog howling from the adjoining room, apparently this highly rated establishment now welcomes canines! No problem with that, but maybe if you are accompanied by your dog you wouldn't mind the attic room? Room 248 was acceptable though I would not grade it 4 star accommodation. The dog noises were less evident once the TV was switched on.
I am so disappointed in the treatment we received, after so looking forward to our special weekend. On arrival we were asked when we would like to dine, each timing we asked for, we were told, sorry, fully booked, until eventually Gerry asked so, what bookings are available? the receptionist said only 21:30! So why ask; when you would like to dine????
The Newspaper that was requested as part of our deal never appeared and when I asked, on the Saturday morning, was told "the papers arrived late" and on Sunday, "Somebody must have stolen it".
I suppose it was inevitable that I suffered severe Diarrhoea for the final 24 hours of our stay. I cannot claim that this was down to the food at Shrigley but it certainly capped a very disappointing weekend.
I would like to point out that the dining room staff were exemplary throughout, and a special mention for the wine waiter whose friendly disposition was a breath of fresh air.
Puma Hotels need to have a review of what is happening to a much loved Hotel which has so many happy memories for us and one very bad one!

Room Tip: If all rooms in the 300 series are as bad as 349! Refuse it. You are paying 4 Star expect 4 Star.
1 Thank jimbodmin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I recently came for a dinner as part of a club we are members of. I am in a chair and my wife also finds it difficult on her feet but the staff, particularly Olivia, Dean and John could not have done enough to help us. Arranging access to the room via the kitchen was a little unusual but we thought it interesting to see the inside of a working kitchen! Food was excellent in particular the duck and the desert of poached pear and honeycomb parfait. When it was our time to go Olivia was particularly good, getting our coats and an umbrella and helping my wife and I our taxi. A big thank you to John and his team for accommodating us and all of our group, we hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed February 2014
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Juneandjames,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent dinner here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Nice to read you had an excellent dinner and yourself and your wife was fully catered for by our wonderful staff John, Dean and Olivia; I will ensure your praise is past on to them personally. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to enjoy another great night with us.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is an amazing hotel with lovely bedrooms great facilities and absolutely fantastic staff who make you feel extremely valued. If you sign up to the Puma hotels offers website you can get some very good offers at different times in the year

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Debbi C,

Thank you for your nice review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Great to read you had an excellent stay and fully enjoyed all the facilities on offer; our staff are a credit to us so I will ensure they hear of your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back throughout the year.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Peter died of cancer, so my wife wanted to make a pilgrimage to her little brother’s old school at Pott Shrigley which is now a hotel.

I read the reviews on Trip advisor with trepidation, regardless of the luke warm comments we were going. In retrospect we should have used a premier inn!

The room was small and furnished, one presumes; with the eclectic remnants of the Old Catholic school dormitories, although in fairness the bed was comfortable and warm despite mould caused by water ingress around the window and behind the wardrobe.

Putting on a brave face we decided on a quick coffee before changing for dinner. The in room kettle was stained horribly brown inside and quite put us off using it.

The restaurant food menu read really well, everything sounded wonderful. Alas the gap between expectation and actual was so great that the training needed would be counted in months rather than hours. The stilton tart was actually a few crumbs of cheese melted onto a 4 inch circle of puff pastry? That’s not a tart!

The Rioja wine retailing at £6-7 in a coop was £24 a bottle and as it turned out quite off as my mouthful of sediment (spat back into the glass) laid testament too! After complaining we were not charged for the wine.

We asked to take coffee in the large ante area where live piano music was played the comfortable chairs allowed us to relax and marvel at the humour of the pianist as he changed tune mid song and played ‘raining in my heart’ to accompany the water that was coming through the ceiling. After this the evening went downhill, yes it could get worse!

On returning to the room we wanted to clean our teeth and wash the sediment taste from our mouths; my wife noticed the water was dark and bubbly. We phoned downstairs and were told ‘the water is unsafe to drink, there is a notice’!!! No there wasn’t, but it did explain the brown stains in the kettle.

We asked for 2 bottles of water. They would be charged and also a £5 charge for delivery to our room? In desperation, anger (and black pj’s) my wife stormed down the many flights of stairs to the bar to get 2 glasses of water.

The morning arrived unlike the ordered newspaper, and breakfast was taken. The continental selection of smoked salmon, sliced ham and 2 chesses lacked the salmon and ham, not available! Very much like the peaches and berry compote (sorry not today); this also applied to the apple juice and sautéed potatoes.

Of that which was placed on offer in the buffet styled trays, it was edible but of no greater quality than that which is heated daily in any motorway service area, although being a buffet portions could be larger.

The potential of this old building in such a stunning location is there for all to see; alas it seems it is doomed to play second fiddle to the cash producing golf course.

Room Tip: check the room before checking in
5 Thank AUNTIEEVE

Travellers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Visited for 1 night stay 7th Feb. Booked with a Groupon voucher for £109 for DBB plus wine. We paid for a room upgrade after checking trip advisor reviews so paid £134. Our room was excellent. Food was excellent. If you do want veg and potatoes with some of the meals or coffee this is extra. (£16 for 1portion chips, 1 veg and 2 americano coffees). Our stay was excellent value. Would certainly visit again using a voucher. Reception said travelzoo and secret escapes often also do the vouchers but no deals at present for march unfortunately!! As soon as a voucher available we will visit again.

Room Tip: Pay for a premium room upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Trebor12113,

Thank you for your great review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Its lovely to read of your stay booked via the Groupon deal and you found your upgraded room of excellent standard. I'm glad your included dinner was thoroughly enjoyed and the extras found to be of excellent value to complement your meal. Our reception team is correct we have vouchers launching constant throughout the year and would like to inform you of a Living Social voucher which has gone live recently which would allow you to book within March so with this news I hope to welcome you back then.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to my stay here with friends however I was sorely disappointed. After arriving to the beautiful exterior and stunning views of the hotel, we went inside and it was pretty much down hill from there. After checking in, we went to the bar for food and drink after our long journey. The food was over priced and substandard, the fish coujans were overly greasy and the salad poor.

The room was very standard, for the price I've stayed in much better for less money. There was no attention to detail, which I think goes a long way. The shower leaked constantly throughout the night and the room was uncomfortably hot with no thermastate. When we tried to open the window, the latch was broken so it just kept banging in the wind.

There was 12 in our group and we had all booked the Sparkle package which included dinner, bed, breakfast and a bottle of sparkling wine. With dinner there had still been no sign of our sparkling wine so we had to explain and ask for it, we then just got standard white wine instead. The dinner was honestly the worst food I have tasted! I ordered the leek and haddock pie, which was just basically fish skin and mashed potato which didn't come with any veg. A couple of my group ordered the steak for an additional suppliment, the steak was about the size of a coaster and they were not asked how they wanted it cooked. To finish the meal off we were persued out of the restaurant by the waiter and told we had to pay £400 for the meal, we then had to explain (again) it was part of the package which resulted in the waiter going back and fourth 5 times. The ceiling in the restaurant was also leaking.

We tried to book in treatments but they were fully booked. One of our group had been well organised and booked in advance for a £60 massage and facial, however they had run out of robes and she didn't have a very nice experience. The pool was over crowded and we were not allowed in.

The breakfast was painfully slow however at least it tasted better than the evening meal. There was not enough mugs and it was hard to find any staff for assistance.

There was a wedding on, however we were made to feel like substandard guests. We were going to spend the Sunday at the hotel however, after our experience we couldn't wait to get home.

I certainly will not be recommending nor returning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Delyth L
Dear Delyth L,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. I am upset to read of the disappointment you experienced during your stay and would like to sincerely apologise for this. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the food you had in the bar. Regards to your window latch, I am sorry this prevented the window from staying open, since this we have higlighted the windows with latches and these will be fixed.
The Sparkle package you was on should indeed of included the sparkling wine and you shouldn't of been presented with a bill as this is a pre-pay offer, I will personally contact the relevant departments to see why this happened, I will also hightlight your comments regarding the steak to the team.
Again I apologise you weren't able to book any treatments, our Spa is in demand over the weekends and can get fully booked a few weeks in advance.
Our hotel is busy at weekends, however we want all our guests to be valued to the same high standard and I'm sorry on this occassion you feel you wasn't. I would hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future to allow us to impress you ensure your previous experience is amended.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from one night at Shrigley (8th Feb 14). We arrived in the morning and the ladies went in the spa whilst the men played 18 holes of golf. Spa was lovely, friendly staff and the gym was good, well equipped. Had a scalp massage which was very relaxing, thoroughly recommend.
We had a lovely room (103) very clean, cosy and comfy. Dined in the restaurant in the evening, service was very good and the food was fantastic! The steak is a must, cooked exactly how I asked, was absolutely lovely.
Overall, great hotel set in a beautiful location. All the staff are friendly and accommodating! This is our second visit and will definately return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear gunner29,

Thank you for your nice review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm thrilled to read of your perfect little stay, as part of a spa and golf trip you booked, great the scalp massage was relaxing - I will take certainly take your recommendation on that. I am glad you liked your room and your dinning experience went well from our very good customer service to your fantastically cooked steak. I will ensure to pass your lovely comments onto the team and I look forward to welcoming you back on your third visit to our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Travelodge Macclesfield Adlington

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!