“To many little niggles , A broken jigsaw”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“To many little niggles , A broken jigsaw”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed over half term and would not recommend it for a family break at all this is one off our list . In the children words we dont want to come back they are not nice to children i think that somes it up. This has all the bits for a great hotel nice locarion and character but with a few exceptions the staff have forgotten the customer focus and that we are all coming for a break and want to feel special. a consistency in treatment for all guests should be reemphasised. the most common phase we heard all weekend was sorry about that.
sorry reception was extremely slow and under manned sorry that all the family room are furthest from reception with dorma windows overlooking a car park and there is no direction maps and when you are given the wrong keys you have to walk back through a warren with children in tow . sorry that we got your food order wrong but we will still charge you . sorry there is such a wait for breakfast and that the cooked food is so poor quality its to be avoided . Sorry that we gave your 80 year old mother the fright of her life by giving her room to somone else so they walked in on her so she never slept a wink and then we allowed this new guest to charge things on mums bill. The spa is lovely but the look the staff gave the children on each day was heartbreaking are they not allowed to use the pool like everyone else. Only on the last day did they get a smile and a chat from a member of staff we hadn't seen before. They had no advertised children packs or maps and the only children's menu we got given when we asked was very dirty. To many little things spoiled our trip but they can be easily fixed and I hope they are by your visit. We have stayed at other puma hotels and it is totally different so don't let it put you off we hope to have a better time at Easter bit it will not be at this one sorry to say..

Room Tip: if they give you a third floor room ask to be changed they need a makeover.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sylvia c
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear sylvia c,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I am upset to read of the comments from your children and must say we hope every guest leaves feeling special so I must sincerely apologise on this occassion you didn't feel this way. I'm afraid due to the build of the hotel our family rooms are in the new building, which I agree is a distance from the main hall, we do have a refurbishment programme in progress which will highlight a few family rooms nearer to reception over the coming year. I'm aware that the half term week was very busy, however this does not excuse the poor quality of food you received at breakfast and we are working with the breakfast team to target this.
I apologise your mother was disturbed in her room this is unacceptable and I have brought this to the attention of our reception manager to prevent this happening again.
Around the grounds we do have a child's treasure hunt, so I apologise this wasn't presented to you - I will take on board regarding children's activity packs and this is something we could look into for half term and summer weeks, I would like to inform you we are in process of turning the hotel into more of a resort which will offer children lots more activities during their stay.
I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future to become and feel a valued guest and experience the positive changes being made throughout.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just had a lovely weekend away at Shrigley Hall. Having read some of the previous comments I was more than delighted that it wasn't at all how some guests had perceived it to be. There was a short delay when we arrived as the hotel system was down (nothing that anyone could do about it). We did get our room straight away but those that didn't were compensated. The staff were very friendly, very helpful and polite too. We were booked in for an evening meal on our first night and what a lovely meal it was too. Just one small criticism, the staff could have been a little more 'on the ball' during the breakfast rush, cutlery and crockery was short in supply and I'm sure this could have been improved if all the staff kept a closer eye on things. Other than this small issue, we had an amazing weekend and look forward to returning soon.

1 Thank Debbie R
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Debbie R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm glad your short delay on arrival was smoothly dealt with by our friendly and helpful staff and this led into a lovely enjoyed evening meal. I will most certainly take the points you have highlighted in regards to the breakfast service back to the team to ensure a smoother experience. This aside I'm delighted you had an amazing weekend and we look forward to your return soon.

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Tired and in need of some TLC, bedrooms and conference suite.
Internet signal very poor.
Not good value for money.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for two nights and for what I paid, I received excellent value for money.
After booking this hotel through Trivago for just over £50 each B&B for two nights we arrived to be dealt with quickly, politely and efficiently at reception and allocated a room in the newer part of the hotel. It is a bit of a treck, but the rooms are spotlessly clean, warm (we had to keep turning the radiator off as it got too hot) and well decorated although quite small.
I dont think the hotel was very busy as there was always plenty of room at breakfast but even so, we both had a good couple of nights sleep with no sound from the corridor. Brakfast was as you would expect. Cereals, toaster, pastries and full cooked English available from a buffet and all nicely cooked and hot. Service at breakfast was polite and speedy.
The hotel itself is quite a distance from anywhere so a car is essential but it is a good base to explore the peaks and Cheshire. There is nothing in Pott Shrigley and the nearest place with pubs and restaurants is Bollington which is about 2 or 3 miles away down unlit streets without pavement. You need to drive or ask reception to sort you out a taxi. We went into Bollington on both nights. Driving once and using a taxi number from reception on the other. The taxi cost under £5 each way and they text you to confirm the booking and again when they arive outside the hotel to pick you up.
We are not golfers so didnt use the course but we did use the pool which is small but clean and warm.
Would recomend this hotel at twice the price I paid but if you can get a deal, it is exceptional value.
This is the best

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer part of the hotel are further to walk but warmer and recently decorated
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Dear 19steve65,

Thank you for your great review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. What a lovely indepth review of your great value stay, I'm glad yourself and your wife enjoyed your 2 nights stay and was impressed with the efficient service you received from the start and throughout. Its nice you made time to explore the picturesque surroundings in Bollington and found our well organised local taxi service useful. I hope you return with us again to experience more of what the best has to offer.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I just can't believe the two latest reviews of Shrigley Hall. We have just returned from 3 days staying here and the place was so good. We took my parents who are used to 'the best' - they said they couldn't fault anything. Yes we had rooms in the main, original building which were just lovely, the food was very very good ( breakfasts and evening meal) but the staff were outstanding. From my initial phone call to enquire about disabled facilities to helping us around the hotel (including the pool) to serving us in the bar and dining room we couldn't have asked for more. We didn't ask for exceptional treatment but we certainly received it. We would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask, and perhaps pay a little more, for a room in the old building.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jane J,

Thank you for your amazing review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read yourself and your parents had a wonderful time during your 3 day break away, its great from your rooms, good food to our outstanding staff catering to your needs throughout that your stay was exceptional. This really is what our team at Shrigley is all about. I certainly look forward to you returning again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

The hotel decore is ok if not a little tired inside. The restaurant staff were terrible and made us feel like we were an inconvenience to them. I don't usually complain about hotels but this one took the biscuit.
At the meal is where things went from ok to simply awful.
One piece of bread on your table, the wine took 15 minutes to arrive and the food was small and unappealing. The staff were rude and unfriendly and we're weren't even allowed to have a jug of water left on our table! We then went to the bar for a nightcap and the barman was rude when we queried the ingredients of one of the cocktails and slammed the glasses down on the bar whilst making the drinks. Not what you would expect when you book a romantic break away.
Don't be lured in by the 'online deal' like we were; do yourselves a favour and book somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank DPE224
Dear DPE224,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I must start by sincerely apologising with regards to your dining experience in our Oakridge restaurant, I dislike the idea of any of our guests being made to feel an inconvenience, we strive for all our guests to stay and feel valued so I'm sorry on this occassion this wasn't the case. I will be sitting down with our restaurant manager to review the service standards currently in place to ensure this does not happen again. I hope in the near future we can welcome you back to enjoy a relaxed break and experience the renewed service in the restaurant.

Travellers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

Llandudno, North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked part of a deal inc dinner & breakfast. The hotel surroundings was lovely, the hotel looked quite impressive on first impressions. Lovely grand stair case, bars, restaurant were very nice. Far too many winding corridors, it was like a rabbit warren ! Spa was very disappointing. Pool is a lot smaller than the website pic! Jacuzzi was uncomfortable due to the product in the water - stung your eyes! Our 3 course meal was fantastic, made up for the spa.

Overall, was decent value for money but wouldn't go out of our way to book it full price.

1 Thank helen09
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear helen09,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read you loved our hotels surroundings and were impressed by Shrigley's grand features such as the main entrance, this certainly is a wow factor. Our hotel is very traditional from the old building to the new part this adds to it's quirky design features. I apologise your experience in the spa wasn't as expected and will ensure to pass your comments to our Leisure manager regarding the Jacuzzi. I'm glad your fantastic three course meal was a high point of your stay and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,512 reviews
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!