Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
The Bridge Hotel(Prestbury)
Legh Arms(Prestbury)
View Hotel
Mottram Hall(Mottram St. Andrew)
Chadwick House Hotel(Macclesfield)
    Deanwater Hotel(Stockport)
    Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
    2,954 results
    All reviewsgolf coursecourtyard barafternoon teaold churchevening mealjacuzzi bathpeak districtdeluxe roomleisure facilitiesself serviceleisure clubthree course meallovely settinggolf breaknight breakbirthday treatshort break
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked a deal here through a website offer and stayed for 2 nights in early June.

The deal included a standard room with a voucher for dinner.

The standard room is perfectly fine, however we had a small problem with our room as well as the fact a wedding was going on in the hotel making it a little noisy. The Duty manager Steve soon fixed us up with another room and as it was our first anniversary he also sorted us out with a bottle of fizz. The staff are brilliant.

Our new room had a four poster bed and a brilliant room which certainly made us think that it would have been worth the extra to stay in this room the next time.

The breakfast was good, the leisure facilities also very nice and we walked into the village - Bollington - which was lovely.

The night we ate at the restaurant in the hotel we thought the food was lovely, but like a lot of others here it was the case that the portions were small. The three course meal is the style and size of 3 courses on a taster menu so I would suggest that they elevate this by adding in some bigger portion sizes. Not faulting the quality, but it strikes me that the people making the food have never had that as their main dinner otherwise they would know.

It is not great value for money on the food front, but as we had a voucher it worked out all in all a good value stay in a lovely setting.

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to four poster room they are excellent.
    • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
    Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Highland_Saint,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It is nice to read you found our hotel lovely and the small issue you had with your room was efficiently sorted by Steve our Operations Manager. I'm sorry you found the evening meal portion size to be small, our Oakridge restaurant is a one rosette restaurant, however all feedback is welcome and I will highlight this to the team. I must say a very happy one year anniversary and we hope to welcome you back to enjoy another upgraded room in our beautiful setting.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We took a 3 days of golf and 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast package. The weather was not too bad but unfortunately there had been rain previously and also some during the nights we were there, which combined with freshly cut grass made a tough course even harder. (At least that's my excuse !!!). A buggy is a must if you are over 35 and of average build and fitness although I did see some 'silver' players carrying their clubs.
    Fortunately the accommodation was great and gave plenty of opportunities to recover after a strenuous day before going down to dinner in a very pleasant dining room. Included dinner was ok for 2 nights but could get boring if on longer stays, there were however plenty of options to supplement this from the 'a la carte' menu, at extra charge of course.
    Finally the staff, friendly, welcoming, attentive and every single one extremely courteous. Obviously the Management believe in having a well trained team to look after their guests.
    I am also pleased to add that the characteristics and features of the original building have been retained as much as possible which makes for a good ambience.

Room Tip: we stayed in the extension towards the Gold Club side overlooking an inner lawn. Room 256 2 singles. Room was excellent and suited us well, only criticism is that more coffee could be provided for self brew.
    • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SilverWales,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am thoroughly delighted to read of your enjoyable stay. Our golf course certainly is a challenge, so in bad weather conditions I can only imagine this adds to it. I am so glad you had the opportunity to relax after a hard day on the golf course and had pleasant dinning experiences on both nights. Thank you for your lovely praise for our staff, we certainly do believe in having the best front of house team for our guests and that’s great to know this is delivered. From myself and our friendly team, we hope to be welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and have to say the staff at this place are great, very personable and friendly.

Food... A bit hit and miss to be honest, full English in the morning, self service from a buffet resulting in dry and tasteless food. Lunches are great whilst dinner well after a 3 course meal I can confirm that I'm still hungry!

Rooms are somewhat basic, shame really as the main building looks great with some sensational gothic features, shame this doesn't extend to the rooms..

On a positive note the shower is great with a small rain shower style head on top and a flexible hose for those hard to reach areas! ;)

The hotel offers free wifi and the option for a paid high speed upgrade... Which isn't as stable as I would have hoped for.

If you want to be totally cut off from your mobile phone then stay here as finding a signal is well near enough impossible unless your on 3.

Will I come back, probably not as I'm not a golfer so no real reason to return.

• Stayed: June 2014
    1  Thank Unicornbud

Dear Unicornbud,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. It's lovely to read that during your 3 night stay our staff were a highlight for you, along with the great shower experience. I apologise you thought the food was hit and miss, I will certainly take your comments back to the restaurant and kitchen team. We are secluded so finding phone signal for some is a challenge. We do have our leisure and spa department and we are slowly transforming into a resort property which will bring lots more attractions for our guests; along with modernisation of bedrooms, so I hope you will find lots more reasons to return in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Spent a night here with my family and was very disappointed. We were running late so phoned the hotel to ask if we needed to order food to have on arrival after a 5 hour drive. We were told that the bar would still be open on our arrival at 9.50pm and we could order when we arrived.
    Upon arrival we went straight to bar to order, only to be told the chef had switched everything off but we could order from the room service menu.
    Very poor from a 4 star hotel, especially as we had phoned earlier.
    So we ordered a sandwich and a couple of pizzas which were okay. The service staff were clearly embarrassed but did their best to look after us. I still find it amazing that chefs seem to make the rules in some hotels, whatever happened to looking after the paying guest?
    The room itself was okay but the entrance to the block we were in smelt very musty as if they had been flooded, very off putting.
    The bathroom was very tired with a broken light and mould around the bath. Surely not 4 star calibre.
    The swimming pool is not bad but the changing rooms were very tired looking and again smelt musty.
    Breakfast was buffet style and the choice was not too bad. However you need to time your trip to the hot section in order to get fresh eggs. The sausages are obviously the cheapest on the market and were tasteless and over-cooked.
    The one plus point for the hotel is the quality of the front of house staff who were all excellent.
    It is a shame as this used to be one of the best hotels in the area but is obviously struggling financially and looking to cut corners.

Room Tip: Main house rooms must be better than the annexe rooms we were in
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
    1  Thank TOMMO14

Dear TOMMO14,

I must sincerely apologise that you was not able to order food from the bar menu on arrival, the restaurant and bar does close at 10pm, however with the staff being aware of your late arrival this should have been passed to the Chef’s in order to be ready for your order when you arrived. I am sorry your standard of room wasn’t to expectation; we are in the process of refurbishing some of our hotel rooms to a modern standard. I will ensure to sit down with our Breakfast Supervisor in regards to the hot buffet selection, so the team is continuously refreshing the food. I thank you for your lovely comments for our front of house staff; they are an excellent team we are proud of. I thank you for your feedback and am sorry you left disappointed this is not how we wish guests to leave, I do hope you will return in the near future for us to show we still are the best hotel in the area.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and myself decided to have a night away to try an offer by Puma hotels we choose Shrigley Hall on a sparkle deal and were pleasantly surprised The staff were lovely,food very good we also used the leisure facilities ,would go back again or even try one of the other hotels in the chain

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
    Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Gillian340,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm so glad of yours and your husbands pleasantly surprised stay with us through our Sparkle offer which is such a great deal. It is great you enjoyed the food, facilities and thank you for the nice comments for our lovely staff. We look forward to your return and hope you take advantage of some more fabulous deals with us and the Puma Collection.