“room for improvement”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Derbyshire, England
“room for improvement”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Recently stayed as a guest at a wedding which was brilliantly arranged with a superb meal after, however the room we stayed in didn't look as though it had been updated since the 1970s, the bathroom was very tired. In a 4* hotel you expect more than a shower curtain, a standard double bed & only tea and coffee making facilities. The room was about 2/3rd the size in a premier inn and the ironong board proped up in the corner was a nice touch!
Breakfast was a shambles as the hot food is at the opposite side of the room to the toast making facilities, the juice & cereal is nowhere near the fresh fruit and there is a bottleneck around the hot drinks and very little choice. Whoever designed the layout really has no idea. When I pointed these gripes out to the receptionist on checking out I was immediately offered a discount.

Great location, great staff but in serious need of a large amount of expenditure on both modernisation (a coat of paint on the outside would be a start). Was expecting more, definately not 4* behind the facade

Room Tip: Hopefully some have newer bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Glossoptraveller,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I apologise that you left expecting more from your stay; this is not how I wish any of our guests to leave. With our building dating back to the 1800's we are making constant improvements to update and run with the modern times, however with our hotel being so big this is an ongoing process to be done in stages. We do have a refurbishment plan in place that will see the bedrooms modernised this year. I'm sorry you found breakfast to be a shambles we are working closely with the breakfast team to renew the layout with the tea, coffee & toast service currently in place, which we are hoping to see in place within the next few weeks. I am glad you had a lovely time at the wedding you attended and enjoyed the superb meal served by our great staff. I do hope you return in the near future to enjoy more of our great location and experience the positive changes being made throughout.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

On arrival at the hotel, we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and check in was quick and hassle free. The setting of the hotel is stunning which made the stay very relaxed and chilled. A surprise anniversary card awaited us in our room on arrival which was a nice touch. The only minor criticism is that the restaurant menu did not have a very extensive choice. Overall, a lovely stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Lima100
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Lima100,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's lovely to read you had a friendly welcome to the hotel which rolled out to be a relaxing and chilled stay. I'm sorry that you felt the restaurant menu lacked a full choice and will take this comment to the team to review. Overall, I'm delighted you liked the Anniversary card place in your room and fully enjoyed our stunning location and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Scotland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We recently spent a weekend here as it was conveniently close for attending a family event.

Our room was in the newer annex which is a little detached, with a walk to breakfast and reception, but was comfortable enough. The room was bright and clean although maintenance was lacking, with the bathroom wash bowl tap not actually attached to the sink. Surely something housekeeping should have noticed.

I would like to complement the staff in the breakfast room, as despite one morning during our stay being very busy, were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. On the subject of staff it would be helpful if the member of staff checking the hotel corridors late at night did not have his walkie-talkie volume so loud as his shouted radio conversation a little before midnight outside our room woke me up and was annoying.

Despite a few negatives our stay was an enjoyable one in a great location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear outonthehills,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's great we are in great location for attending your family event and you had a comfortable stay. Due to our hotel being built upon a hill the newer part is a little walk to rooms from reception and other amenities. I apologise you was disturbed by a member of staff's radio, I will ensure to pass this on to the team. Thank you for your lovely comments towards our friendly breakfast team, who are brilliant with coordinating our busy breakfasts. I hope you will return again for more enjoyable stays.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here during our honeymoon for 1 night.

Upon arrival we were offered a complimentary upgrade, which was a really nice touch. We assumed this was because of us being honeymooners, but when I mentioned that to the receptionist she seemed unaware (even though I made sure the hotel was aware in advance!). The room we were upgraded too was, disappointingly, quite basic. It made us glad we'd been upgraded, as our original lower-grade room would've been pretty rubbish no doubt!

We had a round of golf which, in hindsight, was an error. Unless you're very good, don't punish yourself.

Our evening meal was excellent; a real home-cooked feel done to a very high standard. It was definitely the stand-out element of our stay.

The spa was OK... quite busy as the gym is open to local members as opposed to just guests of the hotel, so we didn't stay too long as we wanted a bit of peace and quiet.

On the whole the hotel was pretty average. It looks great from the outside, but it's not especially comfortable or stylish inside. In fact, it's quite impersonal. If I was a local I'd go back for the food, but otherwise it won't be top of my 'must visit' list.

Room Tip: Go top-end or live to regret it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear TheMurphioso,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I must firstly apologise that you left disappointed over the upgraded room you received, our upgrades are of a modern standard; however we do like to keep some of our traditional quirks with the building's history. I am really pleased you found your evening meal excellent and this was a great plus element of your stay we are very proud of our rosette standard, so I will pass your compliments to the Chef. Our spa and gym is open to the public and has a great membership base, although we do need to ensure this works alongside our hotel residents too. As a honeymoon couple I would like to say Congratulations and do hope your stay was peaceful and relaxing.

Bramhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We held our 2014 Charity Golf Day on 12th June 2014.
From our first visit Golf Director Tim Hudsmith made us feel very welcome and worked through the plans for our event, agreeing and making suggestions to make the day a great success. We had Breakfast, a Shotgun start with 78 players followed by Post Golf drinks in the Clubhouse. Dinner and a presentation in the Tilden Suite for the evening with 120 guests.

Tim and his team worked extremely hard on the day, nothing was too much trouble, the Course was in excellent condition, the Course staff had placed all our Sponsors Banners on the Tees, the Car for our 'Hole in One' competition on the signature 8th Hole was driven to the Tee, which was a surprise to our players as they came round to play the hole.
We were fortunate with the weather a great sunny day. Whilst the Course is a challenge to all but low handicap players, almost all agreed with the views over Cheshire and Derbyshire it was worth all the effort. Our part of the day based in the Clubhouse was seen as a great success, the Locker Rooms, the Bar, the staff were all complemented on. Almost all our players agreed it's a Course to play with a Buggy.

The Evening in the Tilden Suite was very well organised by John the Function manager and his superb staff. Despite us running a little late, the food was good, well presented, hot and served very efficiently. This set everyone up for our presentation. the stage and sound system were well worth the additional cost which Tim had organised for us.

The Hotel has great views over the Cheshire plain towards the Welsh Hills from the front. Reception appeared to be very efficiently run. No complaints with the Bedrooms or the Breakfast which had a good selection of foods on Buffets.

As an organiser for the event. I thank Tim, the Golf Team, Banqueting and Hotel Staff for ensuring our day was a great success. Our charity Macmillan Cancer Support benefitted with £15, 000 from the day.

If you're looking for a Venue to hold a great Golf Event, we highly recommend Shrigley Hall.
John Taylor, Secretary, Alpha LSG 319 Golf Society.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear John T,

Thank you for your review following your recent event here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. What a lovely review to read from your Charity Golf Day for Macmillan Cancer Support. I'm truly delighted that everything was well organised, planned and presented for yourself and the 78 players on the day, running through to your 120 guests in the Tilden Suite for the evening. I hope the winner of the car on the 8th hole was very surprised, what a fantastic prize after a challenging course.
I will certainly pass your amazing praise on to Tim, John and both their teams for ensuring a very successful and enjoyable day, it’s always nice for them to know of great feedback. We hope to welcome you back again next year for the next Charity Golf Event.

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We booked shrigley hall for our wedding on the 25th may. Throughout the lead up to the day Becca Jones, the wedding coordinator, was on hand to answer all our questions and help us with generally organising the day. The service we had from Becca was outstanding. On the day itself Shrigley coordinated all our suppliers and everything was set up just how we wanted. John (sorry don't know his surname) was on hand to coordinate it all, he was so helpful and did an amazing job, as did all the waiters, waitresses and bar men. Everyone was so friendly, a real asset to the hotel. We had booked the Tilden suite for our wedding and it really is a stunning location. I know some reviewers comment that the hotel is dated in places and although I do agree with this it isn't an ultra modern hotel and for that reason I love the character of the place. We were booked into the lowther suite which is a beautiful room. In some places the room did seem a bit tired so a bit of general maintenance is needed to spruce it up a bit. Overall we had an amazing day and would highly recommend for a wedding or a night away

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMC86
Dear LMC86,

Thank you for your review following your Wedding stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am so thrilled you had a fabulous wedding day with us, I will ensure to pass your fantastic praise on to Becca, John Prior and all the team on making your day run just how you wanted it to. Thank you also for your comments in regards to a few maintenance bits with the room, this always helps to make the team aware. However, I am delighted the main character of our hotel is what you loved, along with the stunning Tilden suite as the location to make your day amazing.
From all the team at Shrigley Hall, Congratulations and all the best. We hope you return to visit us in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Really beautiful location, we were really lucky with the weather. We stayed for the whole weekend and managed to entertain ourselves within the grounds playing tennis, sat in the courtyard and in the gym.
There was a wedding on the saturday day and evening which i felt impacted on our stay somewhat. There is only one bar available in the day. Which became overcrowded and diffciult to find somewhere to sit with a wedding party and a large number of golfers. also meaning getting a drink from the bar was rather more slow. The service for food in the bar was not impacted.
Breakfast on the saturday was really good, ample food and a great deal of choice, however we were sorely disspaointed on the second morning. We were told breakfast continued until 11.30am, we arrived at 11am to find barely any food remaining and the hotel staff were clearing away breakfast items. We were told we could request cooked items from the kitchen to be cooked on demand, however in reality we were served leftovers from the restaurants offering which had been tidied away. This was frustrating as had we been told that the breakfast finished earlier we would have arrived earlier. We were told it had been a busy morning, however we had paid for a bed and breakfast stay and so expected to be provided a breakfast- as listed in the restaurant staff paperwork.
The food we ate for lunch and evening meals was really lovely and prompt. Our room was really lovely my only criticism would be a squeaky floor board outside the door and with the hotel being busy with the wedding it did disturb my sleep. The spa area was good, a bit small but a nice layout. We really enjoyed the tennis courts and the rackets were free to hire.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cowcowleeds,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I'm so glad to read you really enjoyed our beautiful location and the nice weather enabled you to explore the grounds and play tennis, which is great. I apologise that you felt disturbed by wedding guests whilst in our residents bar, I will mention this to the team in order to make sure wedding parties are moved to their own function room when the bar is available. Again, I am sorry that the breakfast timings were unclear for the Sunday morning you was with us, I will ensure this is checked with the front desk and that our kitchen is aware - your more than correct to expect a full cooked breakfast. On the plus, I am pleased all the meals you had during your stay were lovely and you really liked your room, along with our quirky spa and tennis courts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,563 reviews
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!