“Nice exterior - Interior needs updating urgently. Non existent service”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on 20th June in Room 127. booked through an Amazon Local deal at half price £109.
Checked in at 1pm - was not told about any hotel facilities or eateries. Requested a travel cot for my 2 year old daughter to sleep in, assured it was available - did not arrive 1 hr later - Rang reception an hour later got a frosty assured again it was on the way. Went down to reception 1hr later - receptionist assured me she would chase - surprise surprise did not arrive by 9pm (by the time we checked out!) My daughter slept on the uncomfortable bed.
The room tatty, dirty peeling wallpaper,room not cleaned well enough.
Toilet did not flush properly (dribbled) and towel radiator almost hanging off - this was not a 4* room (2* at best)
The bed was uncomfortable and the room dated and not worthy of a stay.
We went to reception to change rooms and receptionist moaning to colleague about being 2 rooms short - we decided to leave and checked out at 9pm and the hotel did not even ask why?
Poor hotel - poor room and terrible service - would not stay in any of 'The Hotel Collection' venues
Wifi free - but very slow, you have to pay for faser speeds

Room Tip: Check your room before you unpack
7  Thank ARafiki
There are newer reviews for Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Shrigley Hall hotel is set in a beautiful part of Cheshire but with an almost incomprensible maze of rooms. The restaurant and staff are fine but this is not a place to stay for a nights sleep. You have to pass each room on the first and second floors if you are roomed on the third so, in my case with a room on the first floor I was kept awake for two nights by a constant stream of guests noisily making their way to their rooms through the night until dawn.

1  Thank Jim E
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Jim E,

I must apologise that you had an interrupted nights sleep during your stay with us. With the first floor rooms there are stairs at the beginning and end of the corridor for our guests to gain access to the second and third floors, so I am sorry that they disturbed you whilst doing so. I will pass this on to our night’s team to ensure they do floor walks when functions are leaving in order to try and keep the noise to a minimum. Thank you for your nice comment for our restaurant and the rest of our team. I do hope we can welcome you back to Cheshire in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel is set in a wonderful scenic position in Cheshire but marred by antiquated maze of rooms, inefficient restaurant and lack of enough staff to run the hotel cohesively.
If you decide to eat at the hotel, book well in advance in order to get a table in a rather small restaurant, compared to the size of the hotel. Don't eat in the bar, as mould was found on a burger bap served in the courtyard. Despite our deal which included dinner, we never got our meal, due to our food being burnt and wrong dishes being served and running out of time before the restaurant was closed. To sum up, all areas of the restaurant experience were dissatisfactory and there was no care about keeping guests waiting to be seated or to eat. The lack of trained staff, poor time management and no effective front -of-house leadership was astounding! Management did try to remedy our disappointment but not satisfactory.
On our arrival at reception, Melissa gave us very confusing directions to our room (270), and did not intimate just how far we would have to walk to get there. If she had I would have requested some help, as we found out to our discomfort (climbing up and down numerous stairs with cases), the room numbers are so confusing that it took a long time to find it. To add insult to injury our room was not what we had booked. Even the manager got lost trying to show us to our alternative room later on that night. Hotel should insure they show guests to their rooms, as a matter of course. Insist on this, in order to arrive at your room relaxed. Beware though; even when you do locate your room, it is a challenge to find it again when returning.
On closer inspection of our room we discovered it was not clean i.e. dust on bedside lamps, light blubs, switches, paintwork, behind toilet seat area.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Linda O

Dear Linda O,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I apologise you found your dining experience to be dissatisfactory during your stay, we are moving forward to increase the dining options available at the hotel which will take some of the seating away from our restaurant - coming into summer we will be launching our outside BBQ for guests to enjoy. I am sorry on arrival you found the directions confusing, I will speak with Melissa about how she delivers the route. Due to the hotel not being purpose built, it does have a new part added to the older building which is over a hill so unfortunately this is a walk with stairs in parts.
I am glad that Chris our late duty manager was on hand to help you move to your new room. The issues found in the room have been passed to housekeeping manager and dealt with since. Thank you for your comments and I will ensure to take these back to the team to review and improve upon. I hope in the near future you will return to enjoy the wonderful scenery you liked so much but also, the vast improvements being made throughout.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We checked in around 2 pm,we checked out by 9 pm and decided to go home.
The room we had was dusty,dirty and very tired looking,wallpaper peeling,small uncomfortable bed.

The service was poor too,they did not meet our request for a cotbed we waited all day,did not arrive,not enough staff at reception,big parties at the hotel and staff looked stressed.

We were not informed there would be pets,a dog roaming around.

This hotel is suitable for golfers who dont mind rough and tired hotel, Great looking from the outside ,does not deserve to be a four star

Room Tip: Food is poor pub quality,very processed feeling,left a funny taste in your mouth
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Pumpousbear

Dear Pumpousbear,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I must start be sincerely apologising in regards to the poor service you experienced during your short visit, we do have a late duty manager that is on shift until 11pm so I am deeply concerned to why your issues were not dealt with during your time with us. I am upset that our staff did not meet your need to provide a cot bed upon request and will be assuring to find answers to this situation. I am sorry you felt disappointed seeing a dog, it does state on our website that we are a dog-friendly hotel, however this is only in certain rooms and they aren't allowed in any food areas such as the restaurant or bar. We do have a planned refurbishment that will tackle the highlighted issue of tired rooms and bring them to a modernised standard. I apologise again but I hope you can return to experience Shrigley Hall at its best and delivering the four star service I know we do daily.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

my wife and i stayed at Shrigley hall for a one night break with two rounds of golf. The hotel is surrounded by the golf course and grounds and is in some beautiful scenery. The hotel itself was fine with very friendly staff and the room was spotless although a little warm. We ate in the restaurant and both had a very good meal with great service. There is only one bar in the main hotel which means it can get a little busy if there is a reception on, but it was fine on our visit.

The golf course has some fine holes and is real test. I would say it could do with a little TLC as some of the greens are a bit patchy and the fairways could do with a lower cut, but it did not impact our enjoyment of the course. The par 5 7th and par 3 8th are great, but pretty much every hole is - I would recommend a buggy though (£25 hire) as it's a long hike round with plenty of ups and downs.

overall a great weekend and would come again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear FuzzypobWidnes,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It is lovely to read yourself and your wife found us a great base for your one night golf break, with dinner in which you enjoyed a very good meal. Thank you for your nice comments about our friendly staff and the great service they delivered. I'm glad you enjoyed our challenging golf course, with some favourite holes you played. A buggy defiantly is a top tip for the course and the grounds. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Recently stayed as a guest at a wedding which was brilliantly arranged with a superb meal after, however the room we stayed in didn't look as though it had been updated since the 1970s, the bathroom was very tired. In a 4* hotel you expect more than a shower curtain, a standard double bed & only tea and coffee making facilities. The room was about 2/3rd the size in a premier inn and the ironong board proped up in the corner was a nice touch!
Breakfast was a shambles as the hot food is at the opposite side of the room to the toast making facilities, the juice & cereal is nowhere near the fresh fruit and there is a bottleneck around the hot drinks and very little choice. Whoever designed the layout really has no idea. When I pointed these gripes out to the receptionist on checking out I was immediately offered a discount.

Great location, great staff but in serious need of a large amount of expenditure on both modernisation (a coat of paint on the outside would be a start). Was expecting more, definately not 4* behind the facade

Room Tip: Hopefully some have newer bathrooms

Dear Glossoptraveller,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I apologise that you left expecting more from your stay; this is not how I wish any of our guests to leave. With our building dating back to the 1800's we are making constant improvements to update and run with the modern times, however with our hotel being so big this is an ongoing process to be done in stages. We do have a refurbishment plan in place that will see the bedrooms modernised this year. I'm sorry you found breakfast to be a shambles we are working closely with the breakfast team to renew the layout with the tea, coffee & toast service currently in place, which we are hoping to see in place within the next few weeks. I am glad you had a lovely time at the wedding you attended and enjoyed the superb meal served by our great staff. I do hope you return in the near future to enjoy more of our great location and experience the positive changes being made throughout.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

On arrival at the hotel, we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and check in was quick and hassle free. The setting of the hotel is stunning which made the stay very relaxed and chilled. A surprise anniversary card awaited us in our room on arrival which was a nice touch. The only minor criticism is that the restaurant menu did not have a very extensive choice. Overall, a lovely stay and I would definitely return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Lima100
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Lima100,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's lovely to read you had a friendly welcome to the hotel which rolled out to be a relaxing and chilled stay. I'm sorry that you felt the restaurant menu lacked a full choice and will take this comment to the team to review. Overall, I'm delighted you liked the Anniversary card place in your room and fully enjoyed our stunning location and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!