“Great setting.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Canberra, Australia
“Great setting.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked 2 nights for my husband and myself and for our grandson to recover from his flight from Australia. The setting was indeed lovely, the staff very efficient and friendly and the food, at breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner, was very good. However the rooms we were given on the 4th floor were quite small. Also they had sloping ceilings to one side, making it difficult to negotiate getting in and out of bed on that side. The bed was comfortable, though. Little things like no heating to the to the room or bathroom, despite the cold,wet weather was a surprise. The WiFi did not work in our rooms so we had to go to the reception area or the piano bar to use our IPads. Also we could not use our phones, except in certain spots in the hotel. Not really satisfactory when the hotel says free WiFi throughout the hotel. Our rooms were quite hard to find at first as it is a large hotel with many corridors. It is a smashing place if you are a golfer but the Crazy Golf for us lesser mortals was not very good not were the tennis courts. They needed quite a bit of TLC.
I would recommend it for a pleasant golfing weekend but would probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are taller than 5.4 then make sure you do not get the rooms with the sloping ceiling.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Vickym830,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I'm so glad you enjoyed our great setting during your stay with your husband and grandson. I apologise your room on the 3rd floor wasn't as expected it is the top of the hotel and an annex build, I have looked into the heating and with us being in the summer period the heating is now on a timing system as the temperatures are still quite high. Thank you for your nice comments for our friendly staff you encountered and enjoyable food. I hope your grandson did leave well recovered from his flight.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am just looking out of my window at a waste disposal unit or something like that! I am in room 132. I came for a wedding reception so I suppose the booking dept must think we don't mind noise. We were over the band and dance floor. I rang the front desk at 12.45am to see when the music would stop and they told me 2am. They were very helpful and took my husband and myself in our pj's to the other side of the hotel to sleep in a different room. what a difference! room 269 was like a different hotel. The bed was twice as big, the bathroom was a better size and yes, there was a view from the window, even if it was over the car park.
Would I stay here again? Yes definitely. It was raining when we arrived but there was valet parking so we didn't get wet. The staff were all wonderful and couldn't have been more helpful and the food was good.

Room Tip: Keep away from rooms 128 to 132
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Prue C,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I apologise you had disturbance during your stay, it is our hotels formality to allocate the guests attending a wedding with the rooms near to the function room and unfortunately some of our rooms aren't guaranteed garden views. I am delighted that our staff was able to offer yourself and your husband an alternative room in which you enjoyed the big bed and a view with a peaceful nights sleep. I will pass on your lovely praise to all the staff, thank you. We all look forward to welcoming you back again.

Buxton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I was hovering between "Very Good" and "Average" when choosing my overall rating. I'd have gone "Good" if the option was available.

What sets this place apart is the setting and the fabulous and sympathetic conversion of old hall and monastery. We stayed for a friends wedding and the hotel made a spectacular backdrop to a very special day which ran very smoothly. The bride and groom and their guests had a brilliant day.

The hotel is quite spread out and it was quite a trek to our room. The furnishings in the connecting walkways are starting to look a bit tired and not as clean as they could be. The room itself was OK but of no better standard than a popular chain hotel and, again, the furnishings and decor look a little tired although it was clean and comfortable - we had a good night's sleep. There were a couple of service slip ups; a waiter forgetting to bring additional condiments we asked for and a very long wait to check out even though reception wasn't that busy. To offset, the bar staff at the busy evening reception worked their socks off and we can't thank them enough. The food (bar snack and breakfast) was good but we found the breakfast layout overly spread out and a little confusing.

Despite my criticism we enjoyed our stay and our friends loved their special day. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JohnBuxton,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's great you found us to be a wonderful setting for your friends wedding and enjoyed the quirkiness of our converted old building. It surely offers spectacular views. Our hotel is currently undergoing planned refurbishment throughout the year which will see us changing some of the furnishings and bedroom decor, as you can appreciate in such a big hotel this will take time. I do apologise you had a missing condiment at your meal; I will pass this feedback on. Also, our breakfast layout within the next few weeks will be changing the way it is presented.
Thank you for your lovely comments for the bar staff who worked your friends wedding, they certainly are a credit to us. Overall, I am delighted you all had a brilliant day and we look forward to your return, in which I hope you will see the positive changes being made.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

the reception staff was very friendly. finding room was a bit complicated took 15 min to find it but when arrived was really nice. had a fan in wardrobe which was handy. we had bar meals both nights more to mine and girlfriends taste. came very quick and affordable. was really good food. breakfasts was good too good selection. would stay again if had chance

Dear gillandr,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's lovely to read of yours and your girlfriends great stay and glad you liked your room after locating it. Great you enjoyed the meals and breakfast you had during your stay and thank you for your nice comments for our reception staff. I hope you do get the chance to revisit us again in the near future.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Staff look after us well, enjoyed our stay. If you do the walks put on good walking shoes they are worth the effort . Food was wonderful with a good wine list. Will stay here agine as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear wineadvisor56,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I'm so glad to read you had a good time during your stay and managed to explore the beautiful surroundings on our planned walks through the grounds. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy more wonderful food very soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on 20th June in Room 127. booked through an Amazon Local deal at half price £109.
Checked in at 1pm - was not told about any hotel facilities or eateries. Requested a travel cot for my 2 year old daughter to sleep in, assured it was available - did not arrive 1 hr later - Rang reception an hour later got a frosty assured again it was on the way. Went down to reception 1hr later - receptionist assured me she would chase - surprise surprise did not arrive by 9pm (by the time we checked out!) My daughter slept on the uncomfortable bed.
The room tatty, dirty peeling wallpaper,room not cleaned well enough.
Toilet did not flush properly (dribbled) and towel radiator almost hanging off - this was not a 4* room (2* at best)
The bed was uncomfortable and the room dated and not worthy of a stay.
We went to reception to change rooms and receptionist moaning to colleague about being 2 rooms short - we decided to leave and checked out at 9pm and the hotel did not even ask why?
Poor hotel - poor room and terrible service - would not stay in any of 'The Hotel Collection' venues
Wifi free - but very slow, you have to pay for faser speeds

Room Tip: Check your room before you unpack
7 Thank ARafiki

Travellers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Shrigley Hall hotel is set in a beautiful part of Cheshire but with an almost incomprensible maze of rooms. The restaurant and staff are fine but this is not a place to stay for a nights sleep. You have to pass each room on the first and second floors if you are roomed on the third so, in my case with a room on the first floor I was kept awake for two nights by a constant stream of guests noisily making their way to their rooms through the night until dawn.

1 Thank Jim E
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Jim E,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel.
I must apologise that you had an interrupted nights sleep during your stay with us. With the first floor rooms there are stairs at the beginning and end of the corridor for our guests to gain access to the second and third floors, so I am sorry that they disturbed you whilst doing so. I will pass this on to our night’s team to ensure they do floor walks when functions are leaving in order to try and keep the noise to a minimum. Thank you for your nice comment for our restaurant and the rest of our team. I do hope we can welcome you back to Cheshire in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!