My wife and I have just returned from Shrigley. We had an overnight stay in a deluxe room with late checkout and one treatment.
Overall the experience was very good. We have totally relaxed in a pleasant location. We booked bed breakfast and evening meal.
The evening meal was very very good with good attentive service and very friendly and helpful staff. All in all a perfect meal. Probably one of the best I've had I. A long time. The piano bar after our meal was a nice place to relax and let the lovely food we had settle. No complaints about breakfast either. Yes there was a wait when we got there but if lots of people turn up at the same time then that is only to be expected. It was a busy place with two weddings taking place on the Saturday afternoon when all said and done.
We have also enjoyed a spa treatment each which was really great. Very professionally carried out by lovely well trained staff.
So ok, why only 4 out of five?
As previous people have mentioned, it's the little things.
1. On arrival we were early so went into the courtyard bar area for a coffee. A nice area, however we were greeted with a large tear in one of the leather couches. That then makes you start looking for other faults.
2. Once in our room we found a chair looking well past it's sell by date. Very tatty looking and a tatty looking headboard. The curtains didn't fair much better either. Deluxe room? I'm not so sure.
3. The bathroom was very clean but the side board that the tea and coffee were on was very dusty around the tray. Also.
4. The kettle is located at the back of a pull out shelf and isn't very accessible. Once the kettle is boiled you have to remove the chord to be able to pour out the water. A tricky thing to do when tucked away and I fear there is an accident waiting to happen there. A kettle with detachable base would be much more practical.
5. There was an ice bucket that on closer inspection was rather grubby where the tongues were located. Quite off putting. Needless to say it didn't get used, even though we had a bottle of champers to help us celebrate.
6. On the landing approach to our room (107) on the Saturday we arrived we noticed a couple of dirty glasses on a ledge. They stayed there until Sunday morning. A small thing I know but the small things can be a downfall.
One last thing. As smokers we are aware that not everyone is keen on us but, in the courtyard there were tables set out and whilst having a drink outside we had a cigarette. However. We weren't the only ones. The problem was that there was only one ashtray. The only one we have seen throughout our entire stay. This is a concern for one reason only. Smokers didn't confine themselves just to the courtyard and as the only ashtray was there, there tended to be a lot of cigarette butts on the floor, something as a smoker I hate. And if I were getting married there and all I could see was fag ends on the floor I would not be impressed. More ashtrays in various locations please. And emptied and cleaned on a regular basis. Like it or not there will always be smokers staying with you.
I don't want to come across as negative about our experience here. Far from it, we've had a relaxing time and arrived home refreshed and ready to take on what the week ahead is going to throw at us.
We would return definitely and if the little things are taken care of the it'll be five out of five next time.
Thank you all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Golf and a beautiful Spa, ideal for his and her breaks. Overlooking the edge of The Peak District Immerse yourself in the beauty of Shrigley Hall Hotel. Just 15 miles south of Manchester, the 262 acres of spectacular countryside and an 18-hole championship golf course should keep you busy. If not, you're on the edge of the Peak District National Park and surrounded by world-famous gardens and gorgeous country houses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotelopia, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Superbreak UK, Lastminute, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotel.de, Ebookers and HRS so you can book your Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shrigley Hall Hotel
- Barcelo Macclesfield