“Anniversary Treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
“Anniversary Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from Shrigley. We had an overnight stay in a deluxe room with late checkout and one treatment.
Overall the experience was very good. We have totally relaxed in a pleasant location. We booked bed breakfast and evening meal.
The evening meal was very very good with good attentive service and very friendly and helpful staff. All in all a perfect meal. Probably one of the best I've had I. A long time. The piano bar after our meal was a nice place to relax and let the lovely food we had settle. No complaints about breakfast either. Yes there was a wait when we got there but if lots of people turn up at the same time then that is only to be expected. It was a busy place with two weddings taking place on the Saturday afternoon when all said and done.
We have also enjoyed a spa treatment each which was really great. Very professionally carried out by lovely well trained staff.
So ok, why only 4 out of five?
As previous people have mentioned, it's the little things.
1. On arrival we were early so went into the courtyard bar area for a coffee. A nice area, however we were greeted with a large tear in one of the leather couches. That then makes you start looking for other faults.
2. Once in our room we found a chair looking well past it's sell by date. Very tatty looking and a tatty looking headboard. The curtains didn't fair much better either. Deluxe room? I'm not so sure.
3. The bathroom was very clean but the side board that the tea and coffee were on was very dusty around the tray. Also.
4. The kettle is located at the back of a pull out shelf and isn't very accessible. Once the kettle is boiled you have to remove the chord to be able to pour out the water. A tricky thing to do when tucked away and I fear there is an accident waiting to happen there. A kettle with detachable base would be much more practical.
5. There was an ice bucket that on closer inspection was rather grubby where the tongues were located. Quite off putting. Needless to say it didn't get used, even though we had a bottle of champers to help us celebrate.
6. On the landing approach to our room (107) on the Saturday we arrived we noticed a couple of dirty glasses on a ledge. They stayed there until Sunday morning. A small thing I know but the small things can be a downfall.
One last thing. As smokers we are aware that not everyone is keen on us but, in the courtyard there were tables set out and whilst having a drink outside we had a cigarette. However. We weren't the only ones. The problem was that there was only one ashtray. The only one we have seen throughout our entire stay. This is a concern for one reason only. Smokers didn't confine themselves just to the courtyard and as the only ashtray was there, there tended to be a lot of cigarette butts on the floor, something as a smoker I hate. And if I were getting married there and all I could see was fag ends on the floor I would not be impressed. More ashtrays in various locations please. And emptied and cleaned on a regular basis. Like it or not there will always be smokers staying with you.
I don't want to come across as negative about our experience here. Far from it, we've had a relaxing time and arrived home refreshed and ready to take on what the week ahead is going to throw at us.
We would return definitely and if the little things are taken care of the it'll be five out of five next time.
Thank you all.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Stazinskem
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Stazinskem,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you had a lovely and relaxed anniversary treat with us, in which you enjoyed one of the best evening meals you've had complimented with friendly and attentive service. This then mirrored with your spa treatments being very professional. I apologise you had a few little things to mention in regards to your bedroom amenities and our Courtyard Bar, I have passed these comments to both our departments managers to take care of and rectify. I hope your still a little relaxed after taking on the week and wee look forward to your return and that five star review.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

On the surface who can fault Shrigley Hall? Beautiful buildings, grounds to die for, golf course, wild deer, fantastic views...Well it's not so much what you see on the surface but what lies beneath. Booking in was friendly and even finding the room via the maze of corridors was fun. However the first room they put us in had no lights in the main room, water pressure similar to a hose pipe ban and a somewhat embarrassing squeaky bed. Food in the evening was well presented and very nice.
They say you can judge a place by how well they deal with problems and in the case of Shrigley Hall the reception staff were very good, however I judge first by the actual presentation, which in this case aimed for the stars but only hit a storm cloud.
Despite this, on hearing of our dilemma they moved us to another four poster room with a much quieter bed and water pressure similar to just having problems in the road. They did however forget to empty the bin, clean the shower, replace the broken shower door, replace the broken tiles or even paint over the dreadful sight of stained paint on a leaky skylight/velux window.....but they did throw in a free bottle of wine with our evening meal...again another nice meal.
Breakfast was the usual fayre of full English help yourself and all the fruit you can name beginning with the letter T…..tinned pears, tinned pineapple…get the idea…I still can’t understand why there are no teaspoons…not even to stir your tea! I’m home now and still waiting for the teaspoon I asked for on the first day.
The spa is based in the converted church and was a pleasant escape from the world. A gentle swim, Jacuzzi, steam room or sauna were all at our disposal.
The staff were probably unaware that they had put us next to a birthday girl who had decided that the best place for her party was in the room starting at midnight….Following my verbal intervention and that of the staff the party ended five minutes later….given the space available I only hope they decided that if they wanted to continue to party into the wee small hours then they took their party elsewhere.
There are walks around the grounds (260+ acres) but watch out for the geese poo!
On the whole it was a nice break but the resort is trying to sell itself as a better quality hotel than they actually provide. The staff were very nice and friendly but I think the management need a reality check on what star rating they think they are.
If attention had been paid to detail then the review would have been far more glowing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shishipal
Dear Shishipal,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I do apologise you left a little disappointed after encountering a few issues during your stay, I am glad we sourced you a different four poster room and these issues in the first room have been looked into and dealt with via our maintanence team. However, I am sorry the new room wasn't serviced thoroughly and I will ensure to pass this to our housekeeping manager. In regards to breakfast we have tinned fruits available but there is also a variety of freshly cut fruit platters. We have placed a new breakfast order of tea spoons, you will be glad to read. Of course other guest’s idea of the ideal time to party we cannot foresee, I am glad our staff and yourself intervening managed to stop the party before it started.
On a positive note I'm delighted you enjoyed our fantastic views, very nice evening meals on both nights and friendly staff throughout your nice break.
I do hope you return in the future to experience changes and have chance to write us a glowing report.

Haverhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed just the one night as part of a business conference and first impressions are very good. The location is stunning overlooking the Cheshire Plain and the building itself has history. The room was fine and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The food was also of a good standard so why the "but" in the title?
It's the little things which often turn out to be the irritating items that you remember most. Take check-in - three people in front of me, one person dealing with the front desk so 10 minutes of waiting. Most of the rooms are in a new block adjacent to the main building and directions/signposting are poor; the number of guests seeking directions was significant during the course of the stay. The check-out was even worse than the checking in with 6 or 7 people waiting at least 10 minutes or more. They knew they had a large number of conference guests all leaving so why not staff accordingly?

Room Tip: When you arrive in a car ignore the sign to the car park, instead drive to reception and park up out...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CambridgeClimber
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear CambridgeClimber,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you enjoyed our fabulous location overlooking the Cheshire Plains, certainly is a stunning sight. I apologise that you found the check-in and check-out process irritating and of a longer wait than normal, these are normally staffed accordingly with a vast number of check-outs so I will look into this with our Reception Manager. On a plus, thank you for your nice comments about our friendly and helpful staff and good food you enjoyed. I hope you return with us on further business trips or leisure basis in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just returned from Shrigley Hall Hotel after a family get together and was not disappointed. The hotel staff were so friendly and efficient. The room was perfect.....we requested a room near to reception as both my husband and myself given our ages of 84 & 91 are not as nimble as we used to be. The food was excellent as were the restaurant staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear PatKl74,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It's so lovely to read your family get together was a joyous occasion and you found your room to be perfect. Thank you for your lovely comments for our friendly and efficient staff, along with the excellent food - compliments to the chef. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for more family occasions.

Luton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

There is no doubt that the location of this hotel and its golf course contributes to its four star status but for the rest of it, it is nothing more than a good three star hotel. My wife and I stayed four nights here over Easter and the bottom line is, when they are busy they cannot cope. I have deliberately delayed writing this review to see if things had improved and it seems they did for a while but there has been a relapse. We have visited this hotel several times even going back before the Barcelo takeover and it is not as good as it was in days past.

I think there should be a new rule applied to all hotels - every time they say "Sorry to keep you waiting" there should be an automatic reduction of 5% of the total hotel bill. While we were there many wold have been owed money! It is true that there is a sheet in the bedroom suggesting when best to go for breakfast but this idea is flawed. Firstly the hotel is supposed to be providing a service for guests and folk like to make their own decisions about when they want to eat and, secondly, even if you follow the advice you still queue. Breakfast, when the hotel is full, is a bit of a scrum. Hardly any space between tables and queues for coffee, waiting for the hot to be replenished and trying to get a piece of bread brown enough to be called toast. I've seen the manager's responses but they don't match with our experience.

Also how can it be four star when there is exactly the same dinner menu, exactly the same 'special' and exactly the same seasonal vegetables every night for our four nights?

Finally, one night we waited 40 minutes for our starter order to be taken (and they were not very busy) - we both ordered soup. 20 minutes later no soup. I went to a man who looked as if he might be "management" suggesting they got their act together. He did not appear to be too concerned or bothered but soup did arrive but no spoons. Another delay whilst two staff competed for the delivery of the spoons by which time the soup was not hot.Later the "manager"sent one of his female staff to "be nice to us" and she was and all credit for the way she dealt with the situation.Would we go back? Probably yes, because of its proximity to the Peak District, but we may well eat our in the evenings.

Room Tip: You'll only get a good view if you pay for a premium room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RAS09,

Thank you for your review following your stay here over Easter with us over at Shrigley Hall Hotel. It's nice to know you are a regular visitor to our hotel, however it is upsetting that you recently left disappointed. We are a lot more busy now than in the Barcelo days, with this adapting and improving. As a response to breakfast the timing sheet in the rooms are for our guests to have the option to allow them to have a more relaxed breakfast at a quieter time, as I have mentioned over other reviews we are working to change the breakfast service soon to enable a more personal guest experience. I will ensure to take your concerns to the team in regards to the dinner menu.
As you have mentioned improvements are being made, we have begun growing a very strong team within the business and I am confident these positive changes will continue as we move forward. I am glad you will return with us to visit the Peak District and with this I hope you will experience the vast improvements.

Macclesfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ring before you arrive to check all in working order as they won't inform you before arrival, and also if disabled be wary of where they give you your room. Restraunt very good once you are eventually seated and breakfast superb.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gillt127,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I am sorry you weren't informed when our pool was out of use, this was due to a major unforeseen fault, our Leisure did contact members and spa bookings over this period to notify of the issue so being on a spa weekend you should of received a call in which I apologise you didn't.
If we are made aware prior or on check-in, our reservation and reception team will allocate disabled guests in the main building above reception for ease of use via a lift. Thank you for your nice comments for our restaurant being superb during your stay.

Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited Shrigley Hall for our son's wedding reception and had previously seen some less than glowing reports so went not expecting the best experience but how wrong can you be! From the minute we arrived we were made to feel special, our room was beautiful and very comfortable with a fantastic view and the actual reception was fantastic. The staff were very efficient but friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them, we were met by John who was in charge of the smooth running of the reception and he did an excellent job. Everyone there commented on how well things were managed and we had a stress free and happy couple. Our only regret was that we weren't there long enough to enjoy the leisure facilities - maybe next time!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Italylover_7,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted after sceptical views before your son's wedding you all had a wonderful time and felt special throughout the day. Thank you for your praise for John and the team, they are all such a credit to our hotel and love running weddings. I am glad the happy couple was stress free and just enjoyed their big day. I hope to welcome you back when you return in the near future to experience the leisure facilities and other amenities we have to offer. Congratulations to your son and his wife and all the best for the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
Crewe Hall
Crewe Hall
#2 of 9 in Crewe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,051 reviews

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!