“not overwhelmed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“not overwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Room ok but nothing special, bathroom had a damp smell, restaurant was very busy and we couldn't eat at the time we wanted. By the time we got in, my choice of main course was unavailable, food was ok but not as good as we were expecting, wine was good, a nice New Zealand white, but then at £25 a bottle I would expect it to be. Pointed out bathroom smell when booking out but it seemed to have disapeared. Our stay was quite enjoyable, the whole place was busy mostly with large groups of people, we didn't feel that we got the luxurious treat that we were expecting, difficult to explain but a bit disappointed with the experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear lesleymayl,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I apologise that you have left feeling disappointed, I would hope that all our guests leave feeling luxurious and relaxed. I am sorry that your room wasn't as expected and that the restaurant times were limited, it is a very busy restaurant for timings and we are looking into distributing this demand into other outlets in the hotel. I am glad on a plus you enjoyed the New Zealand wine and your stay was quite enjoyable. I hope you will return in future to allow us to overwhelm you to make your experience a special one.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Macclesfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent service, rooms spacious and comfortable. Perfect Hotel lovely views and walks around the hotel grounds. The leasure facilties were excellent. Looking for a few days away with friends or romantic getaway Shrigley Hall Hotel is perfect

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear happyfriends2014,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am thrilled you sought us to be the perfect getaway. I'm delighted you found the service to be excellent and you enjoyed the lovely views and walks, along with the excellent amenities on offer. I hope to welcome you back again in the near future to fulfil more special occasions with us.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed in the hotel for one night. All the staff were friendly and our party were booked in quickly and efficiently. We returned to the Courtyard Bar for drinks before our meal. There was a very relaxed atmosphere in both the bar and restaurant. We were given a good table and all enjoyed excellent meals with good wine. Earlier we'd been told the hotel was hosting two weddings so had anticipated some noise, however to have people outside making a noise until 2.30 in the morning isn't my idea of a four star hotel. Breakfast the following morning was the standard serve yourself but very good. However at one point there was a five minute wait for tables. Our rooms were a long way from reception so I'd request one closer if possible. Hosting more than one wedding per night appears to be the norm here but that still leaves a significant number of guests who simply want a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course will be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul_Bar55
Dear Paul_Bar55,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted your party were quickly and efficiently looked after by our friendly staff and you enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere with excellent food in both the bar and restaurant. I do apologise you was disturbed in the early hours of the morning by other guests, we are taking this feedback on board and looking into more walk rounds of the hotel floors when wedding guests are departing function rooms to minimise noise. I am glad you enjoyed a good breakfast the following morning before you departed.

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Visited here for my birthday in July lovely room and bottle of champagne and chocolates from my partner in the room on arrival. The location was stunning and the hotel was beautiful inside. The service was good throughout the stay. The evening meal was exceptional and the piano playing added to the experience. I loved the whirlpool bath. Despite the fact the hotel was hosting two weddings on the Saturday service remained at a high standard. The pool and spa area were lovely and unusual being inside the church. Would definitely visit again. Having read some negative reviews all I can say is I could not fault my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear John B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted upon reading you review you had a lovely birthday stay in our stunning location, and you found the hotel beautiful with the added twist of leisure and spa being in a converted church. A nice touch from your partner making the occasion more special with chocolates and champagne. We look forward to your return visit to experience more exceptional meals and service.

Wiral UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I plus our friends stayed here on the 4 night New Years Eve package (sorry I am late with the rebview).
The hotel / country club is situated in a very old school from the 1800s - it is beautiful both the outside and inside and has been preserved and maintained very well, although obviously moden for safety it still holds the old character and charm.
We stayed in the Downes Suite which is huge overlooking the golf couse - our friends stayed in a "normal room" which was well proportioned and presented.
The whole hotle / country club is set for relaxation, fine wine and fine eating - although we tayed for a New Years Eve package even when the party was over (the evening of the 2nd) the restaurant food was fantastic.
It is also pet friendly - so its on our list to go back with Mr Ruffles our Jack Russell ! who I am sure will enjoy the walks around the lake and countryside
A nice hotel, nice staff and a retun favourite

Room Tip: The Downes Suite (no balcony but overlooks goldf course) is wonderful - there is another suite exact...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Daveoffshore,

Thank you for your review following your New Year stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I will accept you’re sorry for the late review, thank you for posting. I am thrilled yourself and your wife along with friends enjoyed the 4 night New Years Eve package, it sure is a spectacular party here. I am glad you appreciated the old character of the building that’s been preserved, with the modern twist in parts and the Downes Deluxe room presented you with a wonderfully relaxed stay. We certainly do look forward to your return visit and I am positive Mr. Ruffles will love his long walks around our grounds and Peak District.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked this hotel through secret escapes. I couldn't believe it when we drew up- it was massive. So many rooms! The grounds were lovely and better still if you play golf (we don't ). The entrance was splendid. The staff friendly.
There was a nice cosy bar to sit and relax or the patio if the weather was nice. We ate in the restaurant in the evening - nice but rather over priced. On the other hand the breakfast was fab- so much to choose from and you could arrive up to 11 am !
The room we had was a basic one I think although clean and comfortable. One criticism though, it was very dull as everything was brown- curtains, wardrobes, wallpaper and Hugh net curtains that blocked out the light. Also- the sheet (valance ) had a huge rip. I would stay here again though- its near Lyme Park which is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: I would up grade if you can- ours was rather dull and the view was poor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmandaP21
Dear AmandaP21,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. It is so nice to ready you had the wow experience as you drove up our drive overlooking our lovely grounds. I am glad the longer breakfast period on a Sunday was of value to you and you enjoyed all the food on offer to you during breakfast and your evening meal. I will ensure to have the room looked at in regards to the valance. Thank you for your great comments for our friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy a possible upgrade and more of Lyme Park.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed two nights dinner bed and breakfast, bar staff were good, breakfast staff on first morning were good but second morning, due maybe to a wedding party all having breakfast at the same time, was shambolic. No mugs at coffee machine, coffee machine not working, no menu, salt and pepper or sugar on table. Too few staff, the staff was trying but simply couldn't cope. The hotel itself looked very tired and in some parts maybe not as clean as it should be. The annex ground floor smells very damp. Not a four star in my opinion. We stayed on a special deal which still wasn't cheap if we had paid full price we would not have been happy.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Uhdcfc
Dear Uhdcfc,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I do sincerely apologise you left disappointed after your two night stay. Our breakfast over the weekend has been fully staffed and we do offer a notice in all rooms with a traffic light system to show our guests the quieter and busier periods of breakfast, of course this is only a guideline to when guests actually decide to take breakfast; so I am sorry it was a little hectic on your second morning. However, small items such as salt, pepper and sugar should have been available so I apologise.
I of course will take your points back to the team to discuss and this week we are doing a full walk round of the hotel, we are throughout this year refreshing the hotel and have made vast improvements in recent months.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes that are being made throughout the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,500 reviews
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!