“knockout views”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Bristol, United Kingdom
“knockout views”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel must have one of the best views in England from the front steps and grand entrance. Grand, elegant hotel at affordable prices with good food, friendly staff and variety of facilities. Where else would you be able to swim inside a Victorian chapel?!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear vesuvius53,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you found our views knock out across England, it truly is a breathtaking scene at all times of the year. It is great you enjoyed our quirky swim in the old chapel and enjoyed good food delivered y our friendly staff throughout your stay. We look forward to your return to experience and see more.

Saffron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Set in lovely location. Stayed in refurbished room which was comfortable. Food at dinner delicious, breakfast selection very good and well cooked. Leisure club very nice. Car park a bit of a trek but plenty of parking spaces. Excellent value from Travelzoo deal.

Dear Jeb999,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am so glad to read you had an enjoyable stay on your recent Travel Zoo deal. You loved our location and found the food to be delicious and of very good selection which is great. I hope to see you return in the future on another value deal.

Macclesfield
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay for my husbands birthday on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. From arriving at the hotel and checking in with Gemma we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I can't find anything negative to say about our stay, the room was clean and comfortable, the food was very good with plenty of choice and the hotel and grounds were well maintained. Overall a brilliant break and will definately be returning.

Dear Linda A,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you had a brilliant break with your husband for his birthday treat and found our staff friendly and helpful throughout; I will ensure to pass your praise on to Gemma. We look forward to your return.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for one night during Golf Open, planned to visit Open on Saturday, stay overnight at Shrigley, play the course Sunday morning and settle in with a nice lunch and drinks whilst watching the final round in the hotel bar.
We found the staff were working hard to be polite but were insincere in their dealings, striking up a conversation, but having no interest or clue about what we were saying. When checking out, as we had been re-roomed after a booking hiccup (double room instead of twin, slightly embarrassing), the receptionist was keen and very polite to point out, without prompting, that if I had a complaint about the mix up, I must contact the booking firm...I said I had no complaint against the hotel at that time, it seems she needed to share this.
However, after we finished our round on a really interesting and enjoyable course, we popped into the Golf bar to order food and drinks, 3 parties already tucking in, but we're told that we could not have any food because we weren't members, and the chef didn't cook food that wasn't pre-ordered. He said, politely, that we shOuld be eating at the hotel.
That would have been fine, but the hotel didn't have a TV lounge and we we're advised to try the Golf bar...soooo suffice it to say, we spent our cash at an Inn on the way home.
Shambolic is the word that springs to mind. The food was quite nice and the rooms were ok, but if you're not going there for a wedding, then forget it.
Thanks for listening
P & T

Room Tip: Nice golf course and seemed like very good function rooms, but there is little genuine customer care...
1 Thank Paul S
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I am sorry you left feeling that our staff was insincere, our staff do normally get glowing reviews from our guests so this surprises me. I do apologise for the mixed response you seemed to have received over lunch, as pointed out we don't have a TV in the main hotel, it is situated in the Golf Club house. I am upset that you decided to go elsewhere for food, as you wanted to watch the final round of the golf open, I am sure we could have arranged for some food to be ordered and brought over to you in Golf; so I will ensure to take this feedback to the team. I am delighted you enjoyed our challenging golf course during your stay and do hope you will return for more golf trips to allow us to show you our 4* customer care.

chelmford
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights to attend a nearby wedding. The setting of this hotel is stunning in an elevated position and the building looks fabulous. The room was ok but nothing special. It was very hot and with the window open, the door rattled fin the frame all night keeping us awake. The room was at the back of the hotel and it was very difficult to find. I would have expected staff to offer to take guests to their room knowing that it is so difficult and also quite far to carry bags. The food at breakfast was again ok but nothing special. I was disappointed to have to run around getting my own toast and tea and would expect these to have been served at the table. Overall I think the hotel's 4 star rating is based on the location rather than any services provided.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah h
Dear sarah h,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I apologise you was kept awake due to the door, this is a first I've heard this so will ensure maintenance check the door. The reception team on check-in should be asking guests if they need help with their luggage as we are aware its large hotel with a walk to the new build rooms, so I will look into why this wasn't offered. Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you liked our location and fabulous look on entrance to the hotel. I hope you had a lovely day at the nearby wedding you attended.

Cheshire
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Located in delightful, landscaped and extensive grounds, the 2 mile walk is terrific on a fine day.
Impressive entrance hall, fixtures and fittings throughout are tasteful and of a high quality. Style is traditional grand. Four poster bedroom was ok, paper peeling off ceiling, ironing board propped against wardrobe rather incongruous, bed comfortable, bathroom modern, both rooms very clean.
Reception, more of a " reading off the script" than a warm welcome. Restaurant - dinner and breakfast excellent, staff very polite, attentive and friendly, particularly Dan and wine waiter.
Fitness centre and pool are a great facility and Rob very helpful and courteous.
Residents bar , outside area very appealing on a sunny day, making eye contact with customers who are waiting would improve service levels.
Overall - very much enjoyed our wedding anniversary break.

1 Thank manorom
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear manorom,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you enjoyed your wedding anniversary break in our stately and serene location, its lovely that you was impressed by the surroundings and entrance to Shrigley which is in keeping with its tradition. Thank you for you constructive feedback on reception and service within the residents bar; I will ensure to take this back to both teams to action. I will also let Dan from restaurant and Rob in Leisure know of your praise given. We look forward to your return in the near future for further occasions.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were part of a group of 44 people staying for 4 nights. We arrived on our own and there was no queue at reception. We were not given a low down of the facilities, or where to park our car, and had to find our room by ourselves. However as seasoned hotel-stayers we are used to doing our own tour, but would have expected a bit more. I noticed later that other guests had better service. Also we were told that there was a drinks reception that evening in one room, but found later when no-one turned up that it was somewhere else. The spa and golf course facilities were very good. The food was good, but the service was dis-organised. We ordered our evening meals by lunchtime [as there were 44 of us all eating at one time - 6.30pm] but they still arrived late, in an unorganised fashion and sometimes not at all. The vegetables would arrive after some of us had finished our main courses. No salt and pepper on our table any night. The coffee and tea machines were self service but not clear where the coffee cups were. Also the coffee machine ran out of milk. Some of the cups were too small and the coffee overflowed. Our bedroom was adequate but the easy chairs had holes in them, and the WC didn't flush properly. The food, however, was up to a very good standard, as was the serving staff. It's a great place to visit, in a good location and lovely grounds. We would try for an upgraded room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in summer with sun on them, as no a/c or didn't work, and windows don't open ful...
Dear Roger H,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. It was lovely to meet your Bridge Group of 44 that stayed with us last week. I do apologise you didn't receive a full induction to the hotel, I will take this up with the reception manager. I am also sorry you felt the restaurant service to be disorganised, I worked very closely with the Bridge organiser to ensure your group left the restaurant at 8pm each night and I will take this feedback to the team for future groups. For breakfast we do have self service coffee machines but also tea & coffee that can be served to the table which should be offered, the cup and saucer on the table is for this service not the coffee machine. On the plus side, thank you for your lovely comments about the waiting staff, very good standard food and our location. I hope you do return and treat yourself to an upgraded room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Travelodge Macclesfield Adlington

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!