“Brilliant value for money!”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a wonderful relaxing Saturday night break away with my husband. We had the sparkle and dine deal that included dinner, a bottle of bubbly and full breakfast.
The hotel has stunning views and we enjoyed one of the 3 walks on offer round the golf course and woods, followed by a relaxing drink in the very pretty courtyard. The pool is smaller than it looks on the website but the fact the spa is all set in a chapel is quirky, and we enjoyed the facilities.
The only downsides were the long twisty turning journey to our room which did mean I could not go alone (as I may never have been found again but I guess that is because I have zero sense of direction!!) always with my husband, but as it was a romantic get away, no big problem! And our bathroom was a little tired, with cracked sink and damp leak on ceiling, very weak shower, though it was very clean.
We could not book our evening meal till 9pm due to bookings, not a problem, enjoyed our bubbly while looking at the menu in the lounge, all staff very attentive and the food all very tasty and good value.
Last point being there was a Wedding and a murder mystery night going on, as well as a fully booked restaurant, and not at any point were we ignored or made to feel rushed by any member of staff.
Hope to return some day!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Sam B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted yourself and your husbands romantic break on our sparkle offer was brilliant value for money. It is great you enjoyed all the amenities from our lovely planned walks around the grounds, drinks in the Courtyard and the quirky chapel which houses our pool and spa. I'm glad that even though the hotel was busy on Saturday you still felt catered for individually from attentive staff and enjoyed a tasty meal. We look forward to your return some day.

There are newer reviews for Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The first thing to say is that this is situated in a lovely location and has a golf course to the front with lakes to look out onto.
If arriving by car at the front entrance you have to unload and then go up some steps to the lobby. The carpark is located to the rear and from there you have to find your way to reception which is a bit of a trek.
We had a lovely spacious room at the front of the hotel with the views. Bottled water , bathrobes and slippers provided. There was no fridge and very mysteriously there is an ice bucket provided. I assume if you wanted ice in your room it would be delivered in a bucket anyway.
We had an afternoon tea package which we took in the courtyard. We sat a table for half an hour but were not attended to. So I went to reception and asked if it was table service or I had to order at the bar. I was informed it was tabke service so I went back for another 15 minutes by which time I gave up and ordered it at the bar. It arrived shortly thereafter and looked nicely displayed on tiered plates. It was quite obvious that tge sandwiches were prepared some time previously as the bread was dry and some of the smoked salmon had lost its colour.
There are pleasant marked walks round the grounds.
We had dinner at the restaurant. It was clearly not an international menu but what was put in front of us was well presented and perfectly cooked. There is a bar menu should one wish to eat there.
Breakfast was well organised and a delightful buffet was provided.
We stayed on a Saturday and with hotels of this type we expected weddings which were apparent but not intrusive to the other guests.
What was a real treat and rarely found in hotels today was that all the staff we encountered were local. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and a joy to deal with.
Booked this stay using a search website and what we got was exceptional value for money.
Although this hotel is a grand property in a lovely setting it is not exclusive and everyone is made to feel welcome. Not pretentious but homely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick S

Dear Nick S,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay with your family, in a lovely spacious room with beautiful views. I do apologise about the service you received in the Courtyard Bar, this is table service in which you should of received; I will ensure to bring this to the Managers attention, along with the feedback to the Chef. The menu in the restaurant is a more locally sourced food than international, however I am delighted you found it well presented and well cooked. Thank you for your lovely comments towards our staff being friendly and a joy, it is a great insight that you felt a homely welcome during your stay. We do hope yourself and your family return with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for one night before returning to the West Country. A popular venue for weddings, especially on Saturdays, this was one of only a few negative comments we have, in that it was very noisy with merry guests until about 1am. The generous breakfast had a couple of small hairs on my plate, but I was unable to establish where they might have come from. At breakfast some guests were left to their own devices and others were greeted and given the self service information. The decor was a little tired in places, but overall the room was clean, and well appointed. The leisure suite is good and the grounds are extremely nice. They provided feeding bowls, basket and treats for our dog and there are lots of lovely walks in the grounds along with a large car park. We would use the hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen296074

Dear Stephen296074,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I do apologise in regards to your breakfast issue; I will ensure the team are carrying out thorough plate checks before service and during service. All guests should be greeted and briefed as they enter the breakfast room, so I thank you for your feedback which I will look into. I am glad you liked the little touch we allocated in your room for your dog, I hope they liked the treats provided. We look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy more lovely walks round the grounds.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from a two night break here. Hotel has magnificent views from the front over its golf course and parkland over which there a number of walks - well worth the effort. The restaurant must have had the same views once but unfortunately some sycamore trees (aka tree weeds) have been allowed to block it. The food in the restaurant is extremely good; delicious, a little different and well presented. The staff throughout the hotel are polite, helpful and friendly. But the room (144) - what a disappointment. It was extremely tired and quite shabby, with grubby marks around the switches, dusty skirting boards, grubby nets almost fixed onto the rail but not quite, furniture which was very used and an armchair which was very stained. There is no air conditioning but a very effective fan had been provided.

Room Tip: Don't believe the photos - our room was nothing like them!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear williamcat,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am glad you enjoyed the walks round our grounds with the magnificent views, in which you built up an appetite for our delicious food in the Oakridge restaurant. Some of our rooms are of an older tradition you are correct and over time we are refurbishing these rooms to bring them to a modern standard. Thank you for your lovely praise for our staff, I hope you return again to experience more of our parkland, in a more modern room.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We were here for an expo and I just loved the grounds and the exterior and interior of the building! Plus the food in the restaurant was delicious, and buffet breakfast was great too. The only downfall was the bed which was really uncomfortable, it felt like a really thin mattress on a board, you wouldn't want to throw yourself down on the bed for fear of hurting yourself! The room was pretty basic actually. For this sort of hotel you would expect a much better bed to fit the standard of the rest of the place.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Sara290186,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. Thank you for your lovely comments on our beautiful hotel and grounds to compliment the delicious restaurant food and breakfast buffet you enjoyed during your expo visit. We will ensure to look into the mattress situation and renew where necessary, so thanks for the review. I see your from Australia, however I hope you visit again one day.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had my first visit to shrigley hall for a wedding reception, the venue was beautiful, the room where we had the reception, was lovely.
Now for the bad bits, cleanleness, wasn't top of the list, the womans toilets were dirty does nobody check the work of the cleaners she needs to get down on her hands and knees and do some scrubbing/skirting boards outside had dried drink and dust on them. the bar area had no mats or trays on them, the bar was wet and sticky with spilt drink. No body behind the bar wiped up.
This is not good for a lovely place like this.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michele L

Dear Michele L,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel. I appreciate your feedback in regards to cleanliness with the toilets and the bar area and have highlighted this to our Housekeeping and Bar manager to be address and dealt with. This is not the impression we like our guests to leave with. On the plus, I am glad you found our venue beautiful and the wedding reception room just lovely. I hope you all had a great day at the wedding.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel must have one of the best views in England from the front steps and grand entrance. Grand, elegant hotel at affordable prices with good food, friendly staff and variety of facilities. Where else would you be able to swim inside a Victorian chapel?!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear vesuvius53,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection. I am delighted you found our views knock out across England, it truly is a breathtaking scene at all times of the year. It is great you enjoyed our quirky swim in the old chapel and enjoyed good food delivered y our friendly staff throughout your stay. We look forward to your return to experience and see more.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!