“If I could give it less than one star I would”

FairBridge Inn & Suites
FairBridge Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Caledonia
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“If I could give it less than one star I would”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I booked a room at this hotel on February 25 around 6:00 pm. Almost immediately after doing so, I wanted to cancel the booking due to a family emergency. My daughter was in the hospital in a nearby town. I immediately called the hotel directly and told them I needed to cancel the reservation. The person I spoke to said since I made the reservation on Expedia.com, I needed to cancel with them. So I called Expedia, and the person I spoke to there said that I needed to call the hotel directly to cancel. UGH! I certainly didn't need this stress with my daughter in the hospital. Needless to say, after trying to cancel the reservation less than 30 minutes after making it neither Expedia or the hotel cared a bit. I ended paying for a reservation I never used all due to the blah, blah, blah recitation about what our policy states. The kicker is, I was told that there were no cancellations after 24 hours of the booking, but the reservation I was trying to cancel was 48 hours before the arrival. I will never ever book with Expedia or this hotel again. There's no diignity with either of these companies.

Room Tip: Beware of this shady hotel and Expedia.com
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Laura G

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was not the worst place I have ever stayed, but I was nervous after reading the reviews. I had a meeting at Good Times in Caldonia, the weather was supposed to be bad so I drove down a night early. After reading the reviews, I did call to make sure they were there at night for walkins, but didnt commit to any payment prior to arriving. I did ask the nightly rate and he said $71, it was about $10s higher when I got there.

My company had also booked (called directly) and authorized a speaker's stay to be direct billed to a company card. I didn't know this when I booked so I didn't add myself to the direct bill.

When I got there I was the only person in the parking lot and probably the only person in the building besides the front desk woman. I sat in my car for a while to figure out how far out the other guest (with the direct bill) was. Nobody else came by while I was out there.

When I walked in the woman already had the key out. Because the speaker was the only registered guest she assumed I was checking in to that room. I explained that I hadn't booked a room in advance and she started a new reservation. I was pleased that she had everything ready for the people she had expected to come.

The walk in process took longer then average. While I waited, I noticed many signs around about small charges (ie, $5/person for "guests of guests" to use the pool) but if they only have two guests a night at $87 (final bill with tax) they need to make money up somewhere.

Some people have wrote that the staff was rude. I may have caught them at their best, but wouldn't say that. Both the man on the phone and the woman at the desk were foreign and sometimes that gets construed as rude if they don't understand or don't have a large vocabulary. While they weren't chatty and didnt say things like "enjoy your stay" they were not rude to me.

The room was fine, it was clean and the front desk woman had started the heater. The hotel was a AmericInn at one point and still looks like one.

When I tried to check out the next morning (9 am) nobody was there. I rang the bell and nobody came. My speaker was in the lobby and said he hadn't seen anyone around. I packed the car, came back, rang the bell and looked in the office; finding nobody, we left without receipts. I did check my and statement before writing and my card was only charged for the amount stated at check in. I emailed them for receipts, I will probably need to call since I haven't heard back..

We didn't eat breakfast. I did ask the other guest what he thought and besides being the only hotel guests and possibly only ones there in the morning, he didn't have any troubles with the room or check in.

I would stay at this hotel again if I had another meeting at Caldonia. I would book directly with the hotel (or at least call ahead since nobody was there in the morning maybe nobody is there at night when no guests are registered). It was better then the TA reviews made me think it would be.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank howmanypeopleareon
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Pool smelled like sewer, owners RUDE, could smell pot from the front desk. Had to ask for pool towels and was yelled at, once in the pool, couldn't stand the smell. Dirty room, torn, sheets/blankets, toilet overflowed and we were blamed for it, water everywhere, called a liar, was told we would be charged to fix toilet. Breakfast was horrible, came from local convience store, probably 3 wks ago, bread was hard, banana mushy, gross, milk cartons expired, cerial stale. I would not let the kids eat the food. Should have the health departement investigate! Oh yeah, when toilet over flowed, went to grab phone to call front desk, phone didn't even have a CORD! No way to call!

Room Tip: Crest is good, or spend the extra to go to LaCrosse/Onalaska.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kris L

Travellers are raving about these Caledonia hotels

Albert Lea, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

we stayed in room 124 there was scalding hot water in toilet,in the toilet (my god) burned me when i used it , very rude management,looked like they had just had a huge keg party for 200 people ,all the carpets were grossly stained i wish i would have took pictures,they should put enviromental hazard tape around this place,do not stay here, i want my money back

Room Tip: extremely dirty hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank mitch29584
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked our suite through choosearoom.com. When we got there the owner did not honored the rate we got from choosearoom.com. We end up paying $200 for one night because the owner wouldnt do a refund, in a way we were stuck with this hotel. Button line, owner was rude. He wants every penny he can get. Bad beddings, pillows are old, shower curtains are disgusted, worst breakfast; over charged for what we pay for.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Ncomus
Madrid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

They complained when i asked for a pillow. Also for breakfast ran out of coffee and would not refill pots. They quoted me 1price on phone and charged me another when iasked about it he said i didn't know what i was talking about. Also for breakfast they would only sit out 2 waffle mixes,oh don't ask for more cause they will ignore you. I will never go back.rude owners.

Room Tip: Go else where.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Milo H
Mpls, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Horrible staff, horrible breakfast, will NEVER stay there again.

They over-charged us one night on a mix-up when all we did was make a change for the same night. Our CC company couldn't manage to get us a refund and the hotel never backed down on saying we cancelled.

Never in many years of dealing with hotel reservations have I been so disgusted and stunned.

Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank morrisos

Been to FairBridge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!