“One Of The Better Casino' s To Stay and Play At”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlton
Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Thunder Bay
“One Of The Better Casino' s To Stay and Play At”
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Very clean tower hotel rooms. Very efficient staff at check-in. They should have better rates or perks for returning visitors. Have never been impressed with their buffets.They could use some cooking lessons. They could also use a better plan for handicap parking as they only have a few spots. Otherwise we really enjoy staying at the bear.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank mskittyOntario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
St. Paul
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Our 5th trip there the 3 since remodeling.The workers were unbelievably friendly and helpful.The players club was also very helpful.Our rooms were spacious and flawlessly clean.The pool was clean as well as the hot tub.Although the slots were not too friendly, but we had a great time and would not hesitatate to recomend this location.We will be back !
We noticed 100 percent improvement in the buffet.(Very Good)
Room 724 Beds aand bedding very comfortable.(Great pillows)
Gerald S

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I've stopped at the buffet at Black Bear in the past, and always wanted to try out a night at their hotel. We did not gamble, as we had children with us, but just about everything about our stay was negative. We checked in and the girl at the counter was very friendly and accomidating. It all goes down hill from there. After checking in, not one of their staff smiled at us. The room, queen suite, was filthy. The floors were badly stained, the bedding had stains, the curtains were stained, the mirror in the bathroom was broken and the pain the ceiling chipping - all of this I could have delt with - it was the horrible stench and broken fan that did me in. I requested a new room. The new room was not a Queen Suite, it was a standard room, and they still tried to charge me the rate for a Queen Suite. When we had questions, do you have a fan, where is the arcade, where do we redeem our guest package, we felt like a total nuicance. Hotel staff always seemed annoyed and irritated being there. Once, my daughter was WALKING ahead of me and turned the corner. There was a security guard walking the opposite direction. As I turned the corner I saw him looking around for her parents. I told him she was with me she just "ran" ahead of me a bit. He said, "tell her to walk, not run, or she'll get busted." My daughter is six... I looked him in the eye and said, "Is that a threat? I am a guest in this hotel." He ignored my comment and kept walking. I WILL NEVER GO BACK, not even for the Buffet, who double charged our dinner to my card. Whenever I have the chance, I will warn everyone away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Bobbi79

Travellers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2009

We just returned from spending a night in the Tower rooms at Black Bear. Not sure what to expect but everything exceeded our expectations. Tower rooms are new; lovely, and quiet with Bath and Body Works for shampoo and soaps. There is also a golf course on site and a parking garage. We don't really care for buffets and ate in their deli for both dinner and breakfast. Self serve beverages in casino and great assortment of new type of slots. I love the 1 cent ones and what a great variety and also won some money. Swimming pool indoors also along with a couple fitness machines. Would love to go back more often but it's too far from home for a day trip.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buckybadger_1
minneapolis
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! The best around and the pay offs were more than anyother casino we have been at yes we will be back offten

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — nothing bad
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kentminneapolis
Jacksonville
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Black Bear Casino and Hotel... is a great place to stay no matter when you visit in the Duluth, Minnesota area. We had such a great stay we arranged our trip to return and stay a few more nights. Be sure when you make the reservation that you say you want to stay in the "NEW TOWER". These new tower rooms compete directly with Marriott's top King Suites. Each room has a large Digital Screen.

If you register in their Casino before check-in, (and you ask when booking), you get another giant discount. They also give you $5 each at the Casino and discounts on the buffet.

I think we paid $45 a night mid-week. for what you'd pay $200 plus in D.C. or $300 in New York.

• Liked — The quality of the room...wow
  • Disliked — Smoking in Casino
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LOVE2TRAVELNPLAY
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My mother, sister, aunt and I all stayed for three nights in the new hotel. We were all very happy with our room, the buffet and everything there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even the slots were good to us! We usually go to Grand Casino Hinkley but, now we will be driving further to Black Bear.....

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Not enough carts for checking in or out
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth
Park Point Marina Inn
#1 of 33 in Duluth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Duluth North
The Inn On Lake Superior

Been to Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!