“A Garden tram - what a treat!”

Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Chanhassen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A Garden tram - what a treat!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We visited the Arboretum on a perfect summer day. I had not been out there in several years, so the tram tour was new to me. We got on the first tour at 10:30 am and really enjoyed our tour guide's information about arboretum history and then riding around the 3 mile drive and being able to pause and look, without being a driver myself. We returned and had lunch on the restaurant/cafeteria patio. We enjoyed walking through the nearby gardens.We saw shrub roses, named Sven, Ole and Lena and the herbal gardens. I did not get to investigate the maze, created with hedges, but will next time. I know I will plan a spring trip, soon, to see the collections of lilacs, azaleas and rhododendrons.

Forest, Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Nature's Gifts”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was our second trip to the arboretum and our reaction was the same - absolute awe at the beautiful displays of nature. The different floral displays were gorgeous, of course, but what I found so amazing were the many colors of "green" in the areas like the hosta garden, pond, waterfall spot, etc. Loved reading about the plants in the medieval, herb, and medicinal gardens. This trip we had the added pleasure of seeing wonderful glass sculptures scattered throughout the other garden areas. Although we did not have time this trip, our relatives told us about their walk into the bog! It took us 35 minutes to drive to the arboretum from our hotel near the Mall of America - we recommend taking the time.

Visited June 2014
St Paul,MN
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A great educational, visual, experience!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Four of us visited July 5 for 3 -4 hours. Walked the beautiful, colorful gardens, took the tram around 3 mile drive, and had lunch in the restaurant. We all enjoyed ourselves. Not only was it fun, it was educational. Discovered part of their goal is to educate homeowners on trees, schrubs, plants, and garden designs that can be used at home. From Japanese garden to Rain gardens, we had a ball. If you are looking for ideas for your property, or just looking for fun & or education, this is a place to get it. Lots of art work indoors.
In addition, they had a glass sculpture exhibit that was nice. While I would have preferred they didn't put the sculptures in the middle of the gardens( Glass Flowers & Koi in a Japanese Garden?), the art work was nice. Lots of opportunity for a pleasant walk or hike. Being gardens they change with the seasons. We will be back.

1 Thank ptjohn2
Minneapolis, Minnesota
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Not that great. Kind of boring compared to other gardens”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've been to my share of gardens and arboretums around the country and I guess I expected more from this place. Being that this place is big -- and charges $12 admission per person! -- I thought there would be more to see, and that it would be "prettier" but it was honestly, kind of lame. I walked around the gardens near the visitors center -- this is where most of the flowers were. And, I just wasn't that impressed. I've seen better gardens in my neighborhood backyards - and I can see those for FREE. Roses, liles...meh. It just wasn't that impressive.

So after walking around the grounds, I decided to do the 3-mile drive. They have multiple pullouts where you can park your car to check out the sights. But the sights weren't anything great! It was mostly TREES.

Shrub displays! Maple tree lot! A pitiful sculpture garden! A prairie wildflower spot with hardly any flowers (and I visited in early July). Who is interested in seeing a bunch of trees that are in each and every neighborhood in the Twin Cities?! I can see this stuff at home.

I just wasn't that impressed. I suppose if you just want to walk around in a park, this is a nice spot, but there are better parks to walk around than this place.

1 Thank OwlYaDoing
Traverse City, Michigan
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
““In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This quote states exactly my experience at the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. As I approached the parking lot, I recognized a conscious decision on the part of the designers that the lot be in keeping with the dream of being one with Nature and preserving a natural state. Although paved for necessity, the lot is surrounded by trees and bushes that muffle and hide the issues of cars.
The gardens are lush and plentiful. Large amounts of rain this Spring in Minnesota has certainly created an Eden and late June was a perfect time to visit.
Car tours, tram and walking are choices - I easily recommend walking, sauntering - no hurry to this visit. Plentiful benches and shade give the visitor ample opportunities for solitude and reflection.
A must see!