“Good Enough”

Chisholm Inn & Suites
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chisholm
Chisholm Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chisholm
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I've read the other reviews on this hotel. There are elements of truth to many of them, but a reasonable person would not give this hotel either 5 stars or 1 star. Here we go: Chisholm is a small town, about 5 miles from Hibbing and 15 minutes from Virginia. The hotel is a former Country Inn and Suites. It was sold back in 2000. Two floors. Typical Country Inn decor if you're familiar with that. Check-in was fine, efficient service if not overly friendly. There seems to be very few staff working at any one time, so sometimes you have to ring the front desk phone page for the person to come out. We never had to wait more than 10 seconds. The rooms are a little worn, but everything worked, and it appeared clean. There are little things that might annoy some people - the bed sheet didn't fit perfectly; the walls have scratches; there aren't enough towels for four peole in a room; they don't provide a full assortment of toiletries, etc. But, the windows opened, there was a fan in the living area; lots of cable channels, and good water presure. Fairly quiet between rooms as well. Breakfast was the typical hot/cold assortment. Not bad. Not extraordinary. They always refilled stuff, so we never saw anything run out. Good coffee. Free cookies, tea and water in the lobby all day. Pool was large and hot tub worked. Seemed clean overall , if not perfectly clean. It was a bit over-clorinated. No towels in the pool area - you have to request them from the front desk. Small video game room available for kids. They also offer bike rentals. McDonald's next door, plus some options in town. So, overall it was fine. They could use a little spurcing up in spots, but it works for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Googin

Reviewed 19 August 2009

The motel seems to be under new management. It's a great place if you're biking the Mesabi trail - across the highway from the trailhead and Ironworld (now MN Discovery Center). Breakfast was complete but not exciting.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimiHendricks
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I have stayed at the Chisholm Inn & Suites many times in the past. It is an Ok motel, mostly because its the only one in town. Its pricey for what you get, but it was convenient for me because my family lives in Chisholm. The last time I stayed there, I was traveling with my husband who is disabled and my grandaughter who is a very active 14 month old. We stayed 2 nights, which cost me almost $190.00. When I recieved my credit card bill, there was a charge on there for an additional $25.00. When I called and spoke to the manager about this unknown charge, he said that it was for housekeeping costs. I admit, the room was not spotless when we left, but I feel that any family with small children would have made the same mess. I used to work in a motel doing housekeeping, so I have a pretty good idea what is normal wear and tear. The manager was acutally rude to me when I called to discuss this. I would not recommend staying at the Chisholm Inn if you are traveling with small children or a family. If you do, make sure you are prepared to pay an extra charge.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MichiganCare
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I stayed at the hotel and it was great. The beds were comfortable and the whole hotel was clean. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good. I had no problems with the heater or air conditioning, and the pool/sauna was a great relaxer. There is also a laundry facility located at the hotel and they have detergent and fabric softener for sale at the front counter. If i could go back to this hotel I would in a heart beat! It was in between chisholm and hibbing. Not much of a city view but a lot of trees and open land, very nice.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Naioko
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Due to a remodeling issue, my daughter and I were forced to get a hotel room for the night. I arrived to check-in around 11 PM & found no one at the desk. After pressing the "press here for service button", a clerk came a few minutes later. She checked me into a room & after a long day, I was looking forward to sleeping.

The room was average upon first glance & what I would expect for this price range although very cold. Once I turned on a few more lights & the heat, I realized that the curtains & bedding had holes in it. There was only one blanket on the bed, so reached for the phone to call the front desk, but the phone was missing the "cheat sheet" that is usually taped to the phone. Since I didn't know if I should dial 1, etc., I had to carry my very tired daughter back down to the front desk, press the button and wait approx 5 minutes for the clerk to appear (she was in the pool area). This seemed like an unprofessional way to do business, but I thought it was just for the evening. It wasn't-that is how I had to get the clerk at 8 AM the next day!

When I turned the heat on earlier, I noticed that the buttons were broken, but if you turned it to high, then low, it would work so I thought it was fine. We went to sleep and an hour later the room was so hot that I had to turn it off. I tried to adjust the temp control, but that was broken. I went back to sleep only to be woken up from my daughter telling me she was so cold. I turned the heat on again. An hour later, turned it off. You can imagine how much fun my night was when I had to repeat this process every hour. I couldn't call the front desk, because as I mentioned, no helpful hint numbers on the phone & I wasn't going to wake up my daughter to carry her back to the front desk & then try to get her to go to sleep again.

I checked out early as I had to go to work. The desk clerk gave me 10% off my room for my troubles, and while that was nice of him, I would never stay at this hotel again. It just goes to show that a person should always read reviews before they stay somewhere-no matter how last minute!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lovesrelaxing
Reviewed 11 January 2009

My girlfriend and I make it a yearly event to visit family during the holidays and we've stayed here the past 3 years and had a great time.

This last time..something changed...definately for the worse. Here's the facts: Me and my family swam and couldn't stay in the pool area longer than 10 minutes - eyes were burning and breathing difficulty due to excessive chlorine and the symptoms lasted for hours after we left the area. The hot tub/ pool DIRTY...chunks of stuff floating and stuff at the bottom. sauna broke - you need a wrench to turn it on, workers were rude/slow, no continental breakfast as it ran out, pillows were dirty/ smelly/ flat.

We asked for the manager to contact us, he never did, we left a message, no response. we paid $95/ night; I feel like we've been mugged.

I see there's a previous entry about the pool situation, I am also calling the health dept. hopefully something will be done.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank chroy
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We had a birthday party for my child. There were 15 girls and 5 adults. Five of the children and 2 of the adults ended up in the emergency room that night for chlorine inhalation, due to too much chlorine in the pool and hot tub. Seven of the rest of the children ended up in the clinic the following morning with the same diagnosis. The manager never offered us anything towards the room-all I got was my deposit back for the party room (which you get back after you clean). He tried to accuse me of serving bad food to the partygoers. After a visit from the health board, it was discovered that after testing the hot tub, feces was discovered in the water. The employee working that day of course took care of the pool before anyone got there. I would never recommend this place to anyone!!! My children are not even allowed to go to birthday parties there, either.

Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank 1962aeoa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chisholm
Hampton Inn Hibbing
Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing
Super 8 Eveleth
Super 8 Eveleth
#1 of 2 in Eveleth

Been to Chisholm Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!