“Always room for improvement”
Review of Sugar Lake Lodge

and 1 more site!
Sugar Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cohasset
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Sugar Lake is a local treasure- absolutely breathtaking in it's beauty. There are lots of activities to do on the water and all the non-motorized equipment is included in the cost of your rental. The lodge is as nice as they come and the grounds are well kept with lovely plantings, flower gardens and lots of mature trees. Loads of activities for the family. Liked the s'mores storytelling night at the campfire but they ran out of Hershey bars before we arrived :-(

SLL is a golf resort and that's where attention is focused. We like to fish and were well aware that it is a difficult lake to fish because of the high water clarity. The disappointing part was that the fishing boats were all in some state of disrepair. Broken depth finder, broken seats and broken oar holder. It was also difficult to go out on the lake early because staff didn't appear until well after the stated 7:00 opening time. One day the desk staff had to call in a maintenance worker to help us because the marina worker did not show up.

Our cabin: We rented a lakeside cabin and the moment we walked through the door we noticed a bad smell coming from the wall air conditioner. We turned it off immediately and fortunately were able to leave it off during our entire stay. We informed various staff (front desk, maintenance, anyone who would listen) no fewer than four times and no one ever came to check it out while we were there. My husband does apartment maintenance for a living and he was appalled at the condition of the A/C unit- mold, deteriorated (non-existent) foam filter and nasty substances inside that were the apparent source of the nasty odor. It needed a thorough cleaning at the minimum- but ideally needs to be replaced.

In addition, the cabins don't have kitchens. We have never stayed at a cabin anywhere that didn't have a kitchen. This fact is clearly stated on the website so it was not a huge surprise, just not our preference. Thank goodness there is a nice eatery at the resort. The food was decent and presented attractively and the staff was very friendly and helpful. However, I was disappointed when I didn't receive the menu item I ordered (got a similar item) and the best they could do was offer me a 20% discount on it. We're all human and mistakes happen but I think they should have made it right by bringing me the correct food or not charging me for food that I didn't order.

Having grown up in the Grand Rapids area, I wanted to experience Sugar Lake Lodge at least once. We'll probably leave it at that.

Room Tip: If you prefer to prepare your own meals, be sure to get a room with a kitchen.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bjroushar
F B, Owner at Sugar Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

I agree that fishing isn't something are known for or heavily promote. We are actually on a great walleye lake but it is an incredibly clear lake given its sand bottom and springs feeding it. That is no excuse for the condition of our fishing boats and it will be corrected next week. Golf, beach and water sports do dominate.

Thanks for the review.

Fred

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and his golf buddies have stayed here several times over the years and he recommended it for our yearly family weekend.
The pros: Nice grounds and fun golfcourse. 6 of us played together and no one rushed us. Good driving range, plenty of balls and enough stations to accomodate a dozen golfers. Great staff, friendly and willing to help out. Good availabilities of activities, we enjoyed the morning coffee cruise on the pontoon. The patio at the townhouse was a nice feature, you need to bring your own charcoal for the grill. The staff lit the firepit by our townhome when requested. The restaurant was very basic.
The cons: Sulfer smell in the bathrooms. Dark rooms in need of updating. One of the bedrooms did NOT have air conditioning! The kitchen did not have enough utensils for the 6 of us. The lake side furniture needed repair. We needed to bring the chairs from the bedroom into the dining areas so the 6 of us could eat together. The boat launch was at the public landing down the road from the resort.

Room Tip: Request a lake site cabin which are more centrally located then the townhouses.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
F B, Owner at Sugar Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I think this a fair evaluation overall. The lofted 2BR units have a small 2nd BR that is not air conditioned and we need to be sure this is communicated. We continuously evaluate our rooms and make updates annually. Thanks for the evaluation. Fred

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was excited to spend a long weekend up at Sugar Lake Lodge, having heard of it before but never been there. I did check out our accommodations online first (they were booked for us via a company rep) and they didn't look too bad. We had the lodge's "most affordable accommodations". If you stay here, spend the extra money!!!!! I checked in alone as my husband had a round of golf scheduled. I was disappointed from the minute I walked into the "golf villa". Granted, it was a studio and there were just two of us, but it was average at best.

There was an alarm/clock radio by the bed that didn't work. There was a floor lamp on the other side of the bed that didn't work. The fridge and microwave look antiquated. I was hoping to have a drink but there was no ice anywhere in the vicinity despite an ice bucket sitting in the room. There were two tiny ice cube trays not filled in the "freezer". I filled them up and used them the next day after they were finally frozen - it was enough for 1-2 drinks. We did end up asking about an ice machine and were informed they don't have one anywhere on the property. We were given a bag of ice - which didn't fit in the tiny freezer anyway.

I had to wait 1 1/2 hours because the room wasn't clean upon our arrival. I drove down two times and even walked around back to check out the patio while I was waiting and saw nobody anywhere near the villa doing any cleaning. I finally went back up and said I was going to sit in the lodge until my room was ready. Within 5 minutes I was told it was ready. Expecting it to be clean - I started putting our things away. There was hair in the bath tub and toothpaste smeared by the sink area. The mirror hadn't been cleaned either. There was blood on the wall by the air system. It seemed pretty fresh as I wiped it right off with a kleenex.

I don't know what the other rooms - in the lodge or a cabin or larger villas look like, but I really wouldn't recommend the studio villas to anyone. I really think they need to hire some different cleaning people and definitely do a little updating to get with the times!

Room Tip: Don't get the studio golf villa!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cherrycrush
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It ruined my mother's day when I made a reservation for my family and we were put at separate tables. My mom has dementia and we thought if we were all at the same table she would enjoy her time with us. How could I enjoy myself when I had to keep going back and forth between tables.When I told the general manager, he could have cared less and ignored me. I worked in the hotel/rest. business(before I got a real job) and my manager would do whatever it took to make the customer happy. The food was ok, a lady I talked to outside said it gets a little worse each year. They used to have free champayne but not anymore, they had duck in the past not anymore. the service was terrible, we will be sure to look elsewhere next year. NOT WORTH THEE OUTRAGEOUS PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank N J
F B, Owner at Sugar Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I take full responsibility for the way this unfolded and was ultimately handled. We didn't communicate a change in our policy concerning reservations for groups over 12. We now seat groups over 12 at two tables. Even though you arrived with 11 people, the reservation was for 15 and we should have alerted you at the time of the reservation that we would be seating you at 2 tables. It set the tone for the entire experience and I truly apologize for that and would welcome a call to see if we can make it up to you.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend for a long weekend. Basic lodge room was fine for us; comfortable bed, small fridge and microwave, clean bathroom. Would have been nice to have had a deck but they did not have that type of room available.
It was nice to have so many things to do at the resort; kayaks, canoes, bikes (trails very limited), golf, tennis, etc. Enjoyed the morning coffee cruise as well as the sunset pontoon trips. Lake is very clear. Active eagles nest a few hundred yards from the docks. Very peaceful in the evening just sitting around the campfire.
Not much to do in the area except shop and sightsee. Still had a fun time just driving around and checking out the local bars and restaurants. We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Admiral727
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed on a free weekend. We stayed in a golf course villa. It was incredibly clean and very nice. The staff at the lodge were extremely pleasant and helpful. The food was really good. They have a lot of water amenities available to guests. They had fire pits and wood for your use at the condos. That was a pleasant surprise and we enjoyed our fire. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Spent a long weekend at the lodge and found the staff to be very helpful and willing to go the extra mile if needed. Food was good, and accommodations were as advertised. Not overly crowded, and very clean as well around campus. Golf course was fair to good. Avid golfers will find layout and conditioning to be competent but not great.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohasset
Country Inn By Carlson, Grand Rapids
#2 of 11 in Grand Rapids
The Itascan Motel
The Itascan Motel
#9 of 11 in Grand Rapids

Been to Sugar Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!