“Great place to relax!”

Hidden Haven Resort
Hidden Haven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cohasset
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My husband and I and occasionaly my daughter and her boyfriend, have been going to Hidden Haven for several years now. We ususally spend a week in the summer and long weekends during the off season. We have never had a bad experience with the cabins or the owners, Bob and Kate. Fishing is great (most of the time) and the pontoons are clean when you get them. The cabins are well stocked and cleaner than most motels! There is a wonderful playgound area on the beach for the children and kayaks and paddleboats for the resort guests to use. Most of the guest mingle with the others and everyone seems to be having a good time. Bob and Kate are very helpful when asked "what is there to do or eat around here". The owner and his family are very visable and will stop to talk or answer questions. Looking forward to another summer at Hidden Haven and would highly reccomend this resort and have. See you this summer!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Our family stayed at Hidden Haven the beginning of June. The kids enjoyed the numerous activities the beach had to offer. The owners Bob And Katie were always about checking on Their guests and answering any questions they had. The kids had such a great time at the beach they did not want to come back to the cabin to eat, so we cooked hot dogs and smores over the fire pit at the beach. Our cabin was very clean and comfortable, lots of room for three children to play. Our family loves to fish and Bob is the go to guy for any questions. We went after some of the big bluegills the lake is known for, but the water was still too cold for them to bite. Instead we caught some very nice walleye! Hidden Haven is a great place for your whole family to have fun and relax and we will be headed back soon to enjoy the beach, the friendly owners and guests, and of course the fishing!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mattheik
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Anyone who spends time in the Nothwoods, know there are leeches in the lakes. DUH! Maybe the owner should seine the beach area each morning to eliminate those nasty leeches HA<HA. We love visiting Hidden Haven in northern Mn. It's like a slice of Heaven! Quiet, beautiful and relaxing. Can't wait to return in Sept.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dizzyclown
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We made the trip from Illinois twice last year. First trip was in June and the weather was fantastic and so was our cabin! Growing up, our family vacations were spent at a fishing resort near Canada where hot and cold running water was a luxury. So i was expecting to "rough it" like the good ole days. What a wonderful surprise when I walked into the cabin at Hidden Haven. Beautiful!!!! The kitchen was better than mine at home and a master bedroom with private bath! Had such a great time that we went back in late September for another week. The Barton family couldn't have been nicer or more gracious.
Anyone will anything less than good things to say about Hidden Haven and the owners really need to re-examine their own behavior!

Room Tip: Cabins 12 and 13 are the newest and biggest
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Farmersdaughter5911
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I would recommend looking elsewhere for a resort. Our experience started with not getting the cabin we requested (not every cabin has a fire pit) because it was given to Bob the owners Mother who had come into town. Then we had requested a pontoon boat for Saturday and Sunday of our 4 day stay. At 9:30am it wasn't ready so we found Bob and he said it would be ready in 15 minutes which we were fine with as one person in our party was still showering. We decided to do a few other things around the cabin before we went out on the pontoon so it was about 11:30am before we made it down to the dock and the pontoon was in the water but still didn't have the canopy on it. An argument ensued about paying for the whole day and it wasn't even ready yet to the point where Bob made one person in our party cry and people started walking away including Bobs own son due to his actions towards us. The cabins are very nice and well kept, I will give them that. We had a propane leak from the furnace tho, and Bob with fantastic customer service told us that we didn't know what we were talking about that we were imagining things. Bobs mothers boyfriend came and took a look as well as he had been an appliance technician for many years came to look as well and found a propane leak. He corrected the problem and let us know that we were not imagining it and was glad that we were all ok and nothing had happened as a result of the leak. The beautiful beach they speak of has leaches; it was a lot of fun explaining to a 5 year old that I had to burn the leach off with a lighter so it would quit sucking her blood. If after reading this you still decide to go to Hidden Haven resort for some verbal abuse and neglect from Bob and his wife Kate I should tell you to check your receipt before you pay as we were overcharged on a few things and had to try and get a refund on them which the owners wouldn't even to bring to us themselves, they had their children do it. In the end I am pretty sure I enjoyed having my wisdom teeth pulled more than staying at Hidden Haven Resort.

p.s. If you rent a motor/pontoon make sure you use all the gas as you get charged for a full tank whether you use it or not.

Room Tip: the best room is somewhere not here
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank j_strohman
bobbyboy62, Owner at Hidden Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

The reviewer leaves alot out of his version of what happened during his stay at our resort. Here are the facts, from our point of view, associated his stay:

1) The reviewer's unhappiness began on the third day of his stay when his party tried to put 9 people on a pontoon boat rated ror 8 people or 1200 lbs. There were four people in the party that easily totaled 1000lbs. I was on the dock and told them that they couldn't all go out on the boat for obvious safety reasons. They argued with me that they could all fit on the boat so I told them to go ahead and board and when they did the pontoons sank below the water from front to back and it was the first time I have ever seen that happen. When I said that they would have to take turns going out, the leader of the reviewer's party began to cry because she wanted them all to go out together. If I made her cry it was because what I was saying wasn't what she wanted to hear, not because I was being mean to her, as the reviewer suggested. Had I let them take the boat out overloaded and something would have happened they would have been running to get in line to sue me. With three small children in the boat I would think that the adults in charge of them would have show a little more responsibility. As for my son, he walked off the dock with me marveling at the fact that the pontoon boat was almost sunk at the dock, not in the manner in which the reviewer suggests.

2) They did get the cabin they reserved. In fact they were sent a confirmation letter months in advance of their arrival stating which cabin they had reserved and that if that was incorrect they needed to contact us as soon as possilbe. We heard nothing. The fact that they did not bring up the fact that they thought they were in the wrong cabin to us until after the pontoon issue illustrates the fact that this complaint is fictional. As for firepits, none of our cabins have private fire pits due to the fact that there are lots of trees around the cabins and it would present a fire hazard. We have three communal pits located by the lakeshore for guests to use and we provide free firewood. We do not advertise private fire pits in any of our marketing materials so to be upset that they didn't have one is really stretching to find something to be unhappy about. Perhaps if that was so important to them, they should have asked about a private firepit when they made the reservation.

3) Concering the pontoon not being ready on time, the reviewer conveniently leaves out the fact that there were thunderstorms passing through our area and we do not launch boats during thunderstorms, again for obvious safety reasons. The reviewer also leaves out the fact that when they came to find me at 9:00 AM they told me that they wouldn't need the boat until 10:00 or 11:00 AM because people in their party hadn't gotten out of bed or showered yet and wouldn't be ready until then. The boat was in the water by 10:00 AM when the thunderstorms ended but their party did not show up on the dock for the boat until 11:30. Regardless, I would not have allowed one of my boats out in a thunderstorm anyway. Again, the fact that they did not bring up the fact that they were unhappy with when the boat was ready until after I wouldn't allow their overloaded pontoon to leave the dock illustrates the fact that this complaint, too, is fictional.

4) As for the gas leak, the reviewer's version of what happened is again somewhat fictional. I went into the cabin but because they had opened all of the windows and doors I could not smell anything. I told them that I couldn't smell anything but that my mother's boyfriend was a retired appliance repair tech and that I would have him come over. He found a loose fitting and tightened it and the issue was solved. To claim that I took any other approach is at best stretching the truth. I would also like to mention that this, too, happened after the pontoon issue listed above.

5) Leeches. They are found in virtually every lake in northern MN and from time to time a guest will get one on their toe. For the reviewer to complain about this like it is something out of the ordinary or something we have any control over, I can guarantee you that they will not be happy at any resort that is on a lake in northern MN. Burning a leech off of a five year-old with a lighter is a somewhat dangerous, if not irresponsible, approach to dealing with the issue. Putting some salt on them makes them drop off immediatley. All they needed to do was ask us what to do and we could have helped. Again, this is just more overreach on the part of the reviewer.

6) Overcharges. We did accidentally overcharge them $25 for an extra person charge. Since we were busy with other guests checking out, we had our 20 year-old son take the refund down to the cabin so that they would get it right away rather than have them wait for it until my wife or I could run it down to their cabin. So, in trying to be responsive to them, the reviewer somehow found this to be something to complain about.

The bottom line is that once I wouldn't allow the pontoon to go out in a dangerously overloaded condition, the reviewer and his/her party couldn't find anything else to enjoy or be happy with. It's too bad since everyone else at the resort that weekend had a great time.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

While we did not actually stay (work commitments would not allow us to stay for the 3 night minimum) we did visit some family members who did. We were not welcome there. I would not recomment this resort to anyone who plans on having any kind of day visitors or pets. We were made to feel as though we were trying to free load by visiting our family for 4 hours (and our family basically was told that by e-mail later)!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank 45hey
bobbyboy62, Owner at Hidden Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2010

Our resort has 7 cabins that we allow pets in and 6 in which we do not. This particular reviewer was a day visitor who was visiting someone who was staying in a cabin in which we do not allow pets. Without asking permission, the reviewer brought two dogs onto the property. Normally we would have said that they could not bring the pets onto the resort since they were visiting a guest in a non-pet cabin. We made an exception (one we are now regretting) for this particular reviewer with the express directions that they follow the pet policy we have in place at our resort. Our policy requires that all dogs be kept on a leash and under control at all times. It is designed so that both pet owners and non pet owners can enjoy the resort equally. The reviewer had to be asked THREE times to keep their pets on a leash and now feel they were picked on. Most people only need to be reminded once. Obviously, they feel that the rules apply to everyone but them. Also, part of our pet policy is that guests pay a pet fee, either daily or weekly, to have their pet at the resort. It is a standard policy at most resorts. The reviewer, a non-paying day visitor, was outraged that we charged them a pet fee even though all of our paying customers pay that for their pets.

We also have a day visitor policy whereby we require, for security purposes, that all visitors to the resort must register at the office. We also, at our discretion, limit the number of day visitors at the resort so that the facilities are reserved for our paying customers and not overwhelmed by non-paying visitors. If the tables were turned the reviewer would have been extremely upset if they, for example, had not been able to use a kayak or paddleboat because someone else had rented a cabin and invited 50 of their friends to the resort for the day. All we did was ask the guests that rented the cabin to have their visitors register at the office which they obviously they found an invasion of their privacy.

The reviewer was asked to follow two simple rules that we ask of all of our guests; keep the dogs on leashes at all times and all day visitors must register at the office. These guests were notified of pet and day visitor policy in advance of their arrival, signed a registration card agreeing to the policies and then were angry that we expected them to follow the policies and claimed we were unreasonable.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

I have not stayed at this resort nor do I ever intend to. I had a "brief" e-mail exchange with someone from management at Hidden Haven Resort and may I say I was amazed at the level of disrespect given to me. The brief exchange more than SOLIDIFIED the fact that I will never spend a cent with this recreation outlet. After reading through others reviews and my first hand experience of Hidden Haven's level of professionalism and human decency, I will steer clear of this destination.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
12  Thank Popping-My-Bubble
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohasset
Sugar Lake Lodge
#9 of 11 in Grand Rapids
White Oak Inn & Suites
White Oak Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Deer River

Been to Hidden Haven Resort? Share your experiences!