“Beautiful place, great lake, fun people!”

Hidden Haven Resort
Hidden Haven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cohasset
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We just spent the weekend at this beautiful resort. We called just a few days before and were accommodated. The resort is beautiful, well kept, the cabin was immaculate, and the customer service was fantastic! The lake was gorgeous and we enjoyed the free canoe use. We enjoyed a relaxed weekend and greatly enjoyed the evening campfire and the company, which included the owners. A lovely time and a great way to spend our 31st anniversary! Next time we'll bring more family!

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We recently completed our second stay at Hidden Haven, again renting 2 cabins for 3 families. The resort is very nice and well kept, and the lake is great for fishing. But the owner (Bob) has some serious attitude and communication issues, particularly if you ever have any problems.

The gas tank on our rented pontoon was leaking and when informed, Bob said it shouldn't be leaking, making it sound like I did something wrong. 5 minutes later he's replacing the leaky tank fitting and says nothing. No apology or acknowledgement of the issue.

Bob's true self really showed through when he became very rude and disrespectful when he had found out (in the middle of the week) that my wife's parents had brought their bird (caged cockatiel) and had it in the cabin. He was rude to my wife's father and myself about the whole issue stating that their policy doesn't allow birds. He gave us the feeling that we had snuck the bird in the resort. My wife's parents had to leave with the bird (back to Minneapolis) and were so offended by Bob, that they did not come back.

And to make matters worse, Bob charged $100 for 4 days of pet fees.

This guy has some serious issues, which is too bad because it is a nice resort. But that attitude absolutely ruins the experience. There is just no reason for it, particularly in a business so service-oriented. Resort guests expect a level of niceness from resort owners, and not to be referred to as "you people" as he did with us.

I wish we had read these reviews before we had rented their again. Bob's attitude issue is obvious and habitual.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank StevenV26
bobbyboy62, Owner at Hidden Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Our pet policy is that we only allow dogs, no other pets, at our resort and only in certain cabins. Part of the policy is that we charge a daily fee for dogs. This information is on our website, in the confirmation letter we send to every guest, is posted at our front desk and is on the registration card that we go over with and have the guest sign when they check-in. We go to these lengths so that there are no misunderstandings about which cabins dogs (no other pets) are allowed in our pet cabins. The reveiwer had stayed with us in the past and brought dogs with them so they were very familiar with our pet policy and the fee associated with it.

When I noticed that there was a bird in the cabin (I saw the bird when I was delivering some fish I had just cleaned for free for them) I informed the guest that we did not allow pets in that particular cabin and that we did not allow birds in any cabin and that they would have to find somewhere else for the bird to stay. I never mentioned to them that I thought they snuck the bird in but given that I went over the pet policy with the reviewer's father-in-law at check-in and he signed the registration card agreeing to abide by the pet policy and then brought the bird in anyway, I will leave that call up to you. His justification for having the bird in the cabin was that "We don't even think of it as a pet". Regardless of how they view the bird, most people would consider it a pet.

As for the comments about the gas line fitting on the boat, the reviewer leaves a lot out. What I said when he informed me about it leaking was "It shouldn't be leaking, I just replaced it." It wasn't meant to make him fell bad but I suspect he is looking for anything now to justify the pet incident. What I found when I got to the boat was that he had hooked the fuel line up backwards when he switched tanks. I switched the fitting and said it was all fixed. I didn't realize I had to apologize to him for his hooking it up wrong.

The botttom line is that this reviewer is trying to make me look unreasonable when I simply required them to abide by the pet policy, a policy that they were very much aware of. I am constantly amused at how I become rude in the guest's eyes when I ask them to abide by our rules. The reviewer obviously was not happy that his in-laws left but it was their decision to bring a pet we did not allow onto the resort and into a non-pet cabin. The only way the reviewer would have been happy is if I would have said "Oh sure. Just go ahead and leave your pet in one of our non-pet cabins." If I would have done that it would have defeated the entire purpose of having pet and non-pet cabins which is to appeal to both dog lovers and non-dog lovers. We advertise that we have non-pet cabins for those guests who might have pet allergies or just may not want to stay in a cabin that has had pets in it so when someone brings a pet into a non-pet cabin, we have to devote significant time and effort "de-petting" the cabin.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We just returned from our third vacation to Hidden Haven, and booked reservations for our fourth before leaving. We rented cabins 7 & 8 for 4 families, including 8 adults, 3 one year olds, and a 3 and 4 year old.

We were blessed with almost perfect weather, good fishing, friendly guests and the comforts of this well appointed and well maintained resort. Bob and Katie were gracious hosts, as always. This year they introduced a "treasure hunt" with clues to the treasure given out every morning at nine. We were ready for our clue every morning, and had fun roaming the property looking for the treasure chest. We were even lucky enough to find it which made it even more fun. Also new this year were campfire donuts, which were delicious mini heart attacks prepared fresh one evening by Bob, Katie and their daughter Molly. We skied the glass water until the sun set and then warmed up by the fire with a bowl full of homemade donut holes fried up right in front of the fire. We couldn't have planned a better evening, and this is just one example of the experiences you can expect at Hidden Haven.

This is a family friendly resort that the owners manage and care for like their own home, and they treat their guests like their own family. The cabins are nice, beach is kid friendly, and they have great water toys like paddle boats, kayaks and paddle boards. If you are looking for a place to escape with your brood, large or small, then we highly recommend you try HHR. If you're like our family you will keep going back year after year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank smallmax
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The cabins are nice, but unfortunately the owner named Bob is just not a nice guy! We were having a nice time, until there was an issue over a boat and this other side of the owner Bob came out and it was just nonsense bullying.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank joe h

This reviewer stayed with us during the week of June 30th during which we had a terrible storm and lost power for 5 days. The reviewer felt that since he was inconvenienced by the power being out (something rather out of my control) he should get his pontoon boat for free. I responded that since the operation of the pontoon had nothing to do with the power being on or off and that I didn't cause the power outage that he would need to pay for it if he was going to use it. There was no attitude involved. The guest just didn't get the free pontoon he wanted and that makes me the bad guy, apparently.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Our stay at Hidden Haven Resort was fabulous! It was the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long time. The grounds are beautiful! Our cabin, #2, was very clean and we were amazed at all of the well-planned cooking supplies. We enjoyed the campfire in the evenings, peaceful walks through the campground, and the view from the deck!! The owners are very nice people....perfect people to own a resort! I believe almost all the cabins were rented, but it was still peaceful. I would recommend this place, and plan on returning. Carol

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol F
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Me and My brothers family and All the grandkids have been going to Hidden Haven for several years. I happened to read some of the negative reviews and can't help but get upset. In one of the reviews they were complaining about the leeches. It's nothern Mn. !!! Not the Holiday Inn.
When we are there us and fellow resorters are respectful and never had a problem with people partying until 2 a.m. The key word is respectful.Some people should take a lesson on respect.Bob and Katie have a business to run and watch out for ALL the resorters. I would suggest if you don't like leeches and want to party all night and not abide by the rules maybe they should stay home. Bob and Katie you have a great place. Me and my brothers will be there in a couple of weeks to fish and back in June for our summer get together. One of our grand children just asked the other night when we can go to Hidden Haven. Thanks for all the great memories.

Room Tip: For our family we always use Cabin 8. We've slept up to 13 people adults and children. Nice veiw...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Larry S
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Bad customer service...from the owners. I recommend staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: At a different resort.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank hosteca

Been to Hidden Haven Resort? Share your experiences!