“A Great Option for Grouse Hunters” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hidden Haven Resort

Hidden Haven Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cohasset
Hidden Haven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cohasset
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
“A Great Option for Grouse Hunters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I have stayed up at Hidden Haven the last two years with a large family group on an annual grouse hunting trip. Finding a cabin large enough to accommodate hunting dogs and twelve guys is almost impossible, which makes these large, spacious cabins a great find. The bedrooms are large comfortable and well tucked away from the large living quarters, which is great for a group that has some early sleepers and early risers. The kitchen is large and open and well appointed with pots, pans, utensils, etc. and is GREAT for making a large meal (which we always do) and the dining table seats all twelve hungry guys. There is also a great deck facing the lake that is great for cigar smokers and evening under the stars. Inside, the living room is large and comfortable sporing a gas fireplace and cable TV, which is great for watching the MLB playoffs in the evenings.
I have read some of the other reviews and am surprised to see people less than enthused about their interactions with the owners. I personally have found Bob and his wife Katie to be very pleasant and extremely accommodating. Bob has been great at getting in my reservation and taking care of our group. He has been up early to accommodate our 8 AM arrival and let us into the cabin before his traditional check in time for a quick breakfast before our first day of hunting (obviously that is going to be tied to availability, but he doesn't have to do it). Bob has also provided us with some things for forgot to ask for in advance, including extra chairs for the deck, charcoal for the grill, and a second coffee maker (12 guys drink a lot of Joe). Plus, Bob returns calls and emails to help me get set up, answer my questions, and help me get what I need.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan S

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We chose Hidden Haven Resort for a two-week family vacation with our adult children because of the location, the reputation of Bass Lake for fishing and because it is a pet-friendly resort. I'm glad I didn't read the some of the reviews on this site, because we might not have chosen Hidden Haven -- and that would have been a big mistake. We have been staying at resorts in Northern Minnesota for over 30 years. This was one our best experiences at a resort in all that time. All four of us had a great time.
My wife and I came with our special needs daughter, our older son and his dog. We read and followed the pet policy. Not only did we not have any problems, but the owners always stopped and greeted our dog with a friendly pet.
We had a three bedroom pet-accepting cabin near the lake. The view was beautiful from the very large deck. The cabin was spacious and well equipped. Even the bathroom (often cramped in resort cabins) had plenty of room and the tub/shower easily accommodated my 270-lb frame.
Bob, Katie and their staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Bob not only cleaned our fish, but showed my son how to filet a Northern Pike to minimize the bones. He fueled our boat twice within an hour of our asking, even though we weren't in a hurry. And he worked diligently to solve a clogged sewer pipe in our cabin, down to taking apart our bathroom while we were out fishing to finally find a comb a previous renter had flushed down the toilet.
Fishing was slow for some species because of the time of year, but the pike were biting. A real thrill to boat a big pike!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bigkahunaiii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We just spent the weekend at this beautiful resort. We called just a few days before and were accommodated. The resort is beautiful, well kept, the cabin was immaculate, and the customer service was fantastic! The lake was gorgeous and we enjoyed the free canoe use. We enjoyed a relaxed weekend and greatly enjoyed the evening campfire and the company, which included the owners. A lovely time and a great way to spend our 31st anniversary! Next time we'll bring more family!

• Stayed September 2012
East Bethel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We recently completed our second stay at Hidden Haven, again renting 2 cabins for 3 families. The resort is very nice and well kept, and the lake is great for fishing. But the owner (Bob) has some serious attitude and communication issues, particularly if you ever have any problems.

The gas tank on our rented pontoon was leaking and when informed, Bob said it shouldn't be leaking, making it sound like I did something wrong. 5 minutes later he's replacing the leaky tank fitting and says nothing. No apology or acknowledgement of the issue.

Bob's true self really showed through when he became very rude and disrespectful when he had found out (in the middle of the week) that my wife's parents had brought their bird (caged cockatiel) and had it in the cabin. He was rude to my wife's father and myself about the whole issue stating that their policy doesn't allow birds. He gave us the feeling that we had snuck the bird in the resort. My wife's parents had to leave with the bird (back to Minneapolis) and were so offended by Bob, that they did not come back.

And to make matters worse, Bob charged $100 for 4 days of pet fees.

This guy has some serious issues, which is too bad because it is a nice resort. But that attitude absolutely ruins the experience. There is just no reason for it, particularly in a business so service-oriented. Resort guests expect a level of niceness from resort owners, and not to be referred to as "you people" as he did with us.

I wish we had read these reviews before we had rented their again. Bob's attitude issue is obvious and habitual.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank StevenV26
bobbyboy62, Owner at Hidden Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Our pet policy is that we only allow dogs, no other pets, at our resort and only in certain cabins. Part of the policy is that we charge a daily fee for dogs. This information is on our website, in the confirmation letter we send to every guest, is posted at our front desk and is on the registration card that we go over with and have the guest sign when they check-in. We go to these lengths so that there are no misunderstandings about which cabins dogs (no other pets) are allowed in our pet cabins. The reveiwer had stayed with us in the past and brought dogs with them so they were very familiar with our pet policy and the fee associated with it.

When I noticed that there was a bird in the cabin (I saw the bird when I was delivering some fish I had just cleaned for free for them) I informed the guest that we did not allow pets in that particular cabin and that we did not allow birds in any cabin and that they would have to find somewhere else for the bird to stay. I never mentioned to them that I thought they snuck the bird in but given that I went over the pet policy with the reviewer's father-in-law at check-in and he signed the registration card agreeing to abide by the pet policy and then brought the bird in anyway, I will leave that call up to you. His justification for having the bird in the cabin was that "We don't even think of it as a pet". Regardless of how they view the bird, most people would consider it a pet.

As for the comments about the gas line fitting on the boat, the reviewer leaves a lot out. What I said when he informed me about it leaking was "It shouldn't be leaking, I just replaced it." It wasn't meant to make him fell bad but I suspect he is looking for anything now to justify the pet incident. What I found when I got to the boat was that he had hooked the fuel line up backwards when he switched tanks. I switched the fitting and said it was all fixed. I didn't realize I had to apologize to him for his hooking it up wrong.

The botttom line is that this reviewer is trying to make me look unreasonable when I simply required them to abide by the pet policy, a policy that they were very much aware of. I am constantly amused at how I become rude in the guest's eyes when I ask them to abide by our rules. The reviewer obviously was not happy that his in-laws left but it was their decision to bring a pet we did not allow onto the resort and into a non-pet cabin. The only way the reviewer would have been happy is if I would have said "Oh sure. Just go ahead and leave your pet in one of our non-pet cabins." If I would have done that it would have defeated the entire purpose of having pet and non-pet cabins which is to appeal to both dog lovers and non-dog lovers. We advertise that we have non-pet cabins for those guests who might have pet allergies or just may not want to stay in a cabin that has had pets in it so when someone brings a pet into a non-pet cabin, we have to devote significant time and effort "de-petting" the cabin.
Hastings, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

We just returned from our third vacation to Hidden Haven, and booked reservations for our fourth before leaving. We rented cabins 7 & 8 for 4 families, including 8 adults, 3 one year olds, and a 3 and 4 year old.

We were blessed with almost perfect weather, good fishing, friendly guests and the comforts of this well appointed and well maintained resort. Bob and Katie were gracious hosts, as always. This year they introduced a "treasure hunt" with clues to the treasure given out every morning at nine. We were ready for our clue every morning, and had fun roaming the property looking for the treasure chest. We were even lucky enough to find it which made it even more fun. Also new this year were campfire donuts, which were delicious mini heart attacks prepared fresh one evening by Bob, Katie and their daughter Molly. We skied the glass water until the sun set and then warmed up by the fire with a bowl full of homemade donut holes fried up right in front of the fire. We couldn't have planned a better evening, and this is just one example of the experiences you can expect at Hidden Haven.

This is a family friendly resort that the owners manage and care for like their own home, and they treat their guests like their own family. The cabins are nice, beach is kid friendly, and they have great water toys like paddle boats, kayaks and paddle boards. If you are looking for a place to escape with your brood, large or small, then we highly recommend you try HHR. If you're like our family you will keep going back year after year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank smallmax
freeport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

The cabins are nice, but unfortunately the owner named Bob is just not a nice guy! We were having a nice time, until there was an issue over a boat and this other side of the owner Bob came out and it was just nonsense bullying.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else