“Great first trip to Lake Vermillion (and hopefully not the last)”

Ludlow's Island Resort
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having never been to northern Minnesota, I wasn't sure what to expect from Ludlow's Island Resort and Lake Vermillion. Both exceeded my expectations. I wanted to take my boys fishing but wanted to be sure there were plenty of other activities as well. Rain or shine, cold or hot, Ludlow's had it covered. There was at least one kid's activity every day. The kids loved the "ice berg" and zip line at the beach area. We also got a lot of mileage from the kayaks, canoes and paddle bikes. We hired a fishing guide (Billy Rosner, who I highly recommend as well) for two mornings which was a great idea. We caught great pike every time we went out after that which was at least twice per day. The staff at Ludlow's truly went the extra mile. Lori answered every question (and I had a lot of dumb ones, looking back) with great patience and made the reservation process painless. Mike and Nathan are incredibly hard workers and they took care of everything and were great with the kids. We stayed on the Southshore in the Balsam cabin. The cabin was big and clean. It had quite a slope inside which I'm guessing is common given the freeze/thaw every year. The property was otherwise well maintained. My only 'problem' was that there was no wi-fi in the cabin for most of the week. Also, there is almost no cell signal here unless you're in the middle of the lake. That was great for me as I don't mind being off the grid...for a while. There is a cell signal booster and wifi on the island, so that's probably less of a problem in other parts of the resort. If I had it to do over again, I'd recommend families making reservations earlier in the year and get one of the cabins on the island.
Yes, of course there are mosquitoes in Minnesota. We generally were out on the lake in the early morning or evening so they weren't a problem there but would find you quickly on the dock or by the cabin. Bring your bug spray.
There are probably cheaper places to stay in northern Minnesota but I doubt they would have the activities and level of service they did on Ludlow's Island. I would definitely like to take my family back there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 June 2014

As a longstanding customer/guest, you'll find the Ludlow's Island Resort an experience compelling as ever as it consistently delivers the highest level of service: unique clean cabins, each with all the amenities one could ask for. The quaintness of the Island which resides in one of the jewels of all MN lakes, offers a combination, in my opinion, that is hard to beat. Paul and Kelly provide a level of service that only 3rd generational owners would be able to deliver on. Their staff starting with Lori, Mike,Nathan and all the cleaning personnel greet you with a friendly smile and ask how they can make your stay enjoyable. Mr Kirby steals the show with his affable Lab demeanor. All of the fishing guides are top shelf….fished with Matt S. for 2 days and were on fish every hr with a phenomenal shore lunch each day. Already look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: NiteOwl is loaded with charm. Dreamcatcher is an architectural wonder, lots of stairs, strong knee...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was our 15th annual guys getaway to ludlows. As expected Paul, Lori and the boys made everything at Ludlows easy and care free. Doug Knorr put us on the fish both days and we enjoyed wonderful shore lunches and brought home pour limits! we will be back next yeatr to keep the tradfitional going.

Room Tip: All the cabins have fireplaces, lots of wood and full kitchens with all the essentials. There is a n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is the most friendly, scenic and tranquil spot! Our first visit was in the autumn, with the colors at their peak. We can't say enough about the hospitality, convenience, beauty and service. Thank you, we have already made two future reservations. I will never forget kayaking over to the gourmet market to get a few heirloom tomatoes for my salad. Thank you for everything, Ludlow's!

Room Tip: If you bring your dogs, stay on the North shore.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Fourteen of us, from 6 months old to 88 years. Swimming, boating, fishing, anything that anyone could want to do on a lake is readily available and the staff is ready to help make it happen. There are special activities for children and even the fish seem to accommodate by biting almost as soon as a hook is dropped in the water. Our week at Ludlow's was over way too soon.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin on the island for easy access to activities. However the staff will shuttle from the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

What a great experience! We were at Ludlow's to celebrate our 40th anniversary and it was just what we wanted. We did not stay on the island as the only one bedroom cottage is "Northshore" located on the North Shore of the mainland relative to the island. The area is not accessible by car so you still have the island feeling. The cabin was great with all the amenities . We loved the isolation. You have your own boathouse and dock with dockside pick up to go the 100 yards over to the island within minutes. I echo all the other comments about the staff they are top notch and provide first class service with a smile. This is a unique experience and would be a wonderful place for a family/group of friends vacation.

Room Tip: If you are seeking isolation we recommend Northshore.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mnbob2012
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This place deserves all the praise they receive. Our family enjoyed our Northwoods adventure immensely. The cabin had every amenity. You know you have had a great vacation while as you travel home, you think about when you can return. The staff are top notch and any request was happily filled. I can not say enough good things about this place and feel very fortunate to have had the experience of staying with them.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Been to Ludlow's Island Resort? Share your experiences!