“A Family Tradition”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Deerwood
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A Family Tradition”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My extended family (20+ people) have been coming to Ruttger's for over 15 years. We always go to Ruttger's because my 87 year old grandmother loves to fish and the fishing guide she likes works on Bay Lake. We stay in the new condo cabins, which are quite nice, spacious and clean. The food in the lodge is just ok, but the breakfast buffet is very good. The staff is always terrific. The golf course is good, but play can be quite slow with a lot of beginners on the course. My only complaint is that I think the water is well water and it has an unpleasant odor.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Inver Grove Heights
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a nice resort, I have been going here for 10 years with golf buddies and then I took my family for four years also. For going on the golf trip we have three deciding factors, 1. Lodging, 2. Food, 3. Golfing. The lodging is great for us we stay in lofted lodge rooms which have a queen downstairs and 2 single beds upstairs, good for haveing your own space. Food, the golf package comes with the buffet food, this food is very good not your usual buffet food, it has taste and not bland. Golfing, the Lakes course is ok we have all played better but for the price on the package it is good place to golf. For family time they have a nice sandy beach, tennis courts, volleyball and many other things to enjoy. My family was disappointed wwe were unable to make it this year for our family vacation, but I am looking into going back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank panda911
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We took advantage of some last minute vacancy rates and stayed at Ruttger's Bay Lake Lodge two nights. The property is beautiful. All of the grounds and buildings are carefully maintained. The outdoor pool is small so our kids preferred swimming in the lake. There is an indoor pool as well. During our visit, the lake water was very high, so there was only a small strip of beach available. I would like to return during a time when more beach was available.
My only complaint was that the hum of the room refrigerator woke me up during the night. I am a light sleeper though, as it didn't disturb anyone else in the family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jk_in_kc
White Bear
Reviewed 11 June 2011

From check in through drinks, dinner, boat ride and the conference that I was at, the staff are smiley helpful, efficient. The cabin was older and a bit worn but i liked it a lot. Comfy new bed and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2011
Maplewood, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 June 2011

A family vacation like no other. This is our sixth vacation at Ruttger's and it gets better and better. We usually stay in a cabin but this time we stayedin a Bay Lake Villa. It was beautiful! Ruttger's has the best food of any resort I've ever stayed at, including international resorts. The food is tasty, plentiful and beautifully presented. The amenities are first rate and Kids Kamp is a God-send. Kids Kamp is like a specialized vacation just for your children and parents can enjoy some "alone" time without having to entertain their kids from morning till night. The nightly activities and entertainment is family friendly and above all, the service provided by the staff is first rate. My kids have gone to Kids Kamp for three years and every year when we come back the camp staff remember them and call them by name! How often does that happen from a 17 year old! Awesome!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bigmama55119
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Our family has been going to Ruttger's for more than 30 years. My wife and I recently spent the Mother's Day weekend there. I can report that this 100+ year resort, which has been owned by the same family since it was started, is in top form. Bay Lake, which it is on, remains a fascinating place. But the real news is about the extremely high level of service, friendly attitude and darn good food at Ruttgers. This is a terrific place for families. If you are looking for gourmet, don't go to Ruttgers. But if you are looking for a great place with a significant other, and or with kids, or with an extended family, with many different recreation options, this place is terrific.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Seniordad
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Ruttger's Bay is a beautiful property, with many things to do. My boyfriend and I decided to go there right before the busy Labor Day weekend and we not only found a great deal but there was so much to do. We rented a Bay Lake Villa, which are the newer villas that were built in 2004 and we both loved the property. It is a suite with a full kitchen (including dishes, pots & pans, silverware, etc), whirlpool bathtub, patio (on the lower villa), and so many other features.

They also have a meal plan that can be purchased with the accomodations and with many different dining options at the resort. I believe this option is only available with certain room types, so I would call the resort and ask about this before hand. Well worth it!

Finally, there are lots of different activities that can be done. They have a game room that guests can pick up just about any game and rent it out for the day, they have two golf courses, a lake right by the resort, coffee shop with internet access, a spa, etc.

Overall it was a wonderful vacation, we would recommend it to anyone, we will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helmbhe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerwood
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#3 of 3 in Deerwood
Kavanaugh's Sylvan Lake Resort
Kavanaugh's Sylvan Lake Resort
#3 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Ruttger's Bay Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!