“Worth the Trip”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Baxter, Minnesota
“Worth the Trip”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After recommendations from several friends, we made the beautiful drive to Lonesome Pine on Bay Lake. This cute, quaint, rustic restaurant was exactly what we'd hoped. After a nice glass of wine, we enjoyed our wonderful meals; my hubby had a Cajun chicken, sausage pasta that he said was fabulous, and I had one of the biggest Canadian walleye fillets I've ever seen. It was all wonderful and A LOT of food Be prepared to leave FULL, or be smart and share with someone. This is obviously a popular spot with the weekend lake crowd, and even though it was lively, we really enjoyed our evening. We will definitely go back!

• Visited June 2014

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Family Favorite!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

For generations, my family and I have frequented The Lonesome Pine every summer while at the cabin. It is one of the only places on Bay Lake that you can access by boat. Summers here are busy and super fun and the kids always enjoy the playground and beanbag toss outside during our wait while we enjoy a cocktail or two! The mojitos and the Lonesome Pine Jameson Gingers are a summer must-have! The food is always fabulous from the homemade pastas, pizzas and soups to the calamari and escargot to the to-die-for Prime Rib Grilled Cheese sandwich with au jus! There is something for everyone here, even vegetarian and gluten-free. Good selection of draft beers with a few that rotate seasonally (don’t forget to get your t-shirt if you “blow” a keg!). With 4 TVs on in the bar you can always catch a game. The bartenders and wait staff are always cute and friendly and service is great. The owners Josh and Amy have brought the restaurant to a whole new level since taking over 8-9 (?) years ago. They are warm and welcoming and so fun to stay for those late Friday/Saturday nights! The atmosphere itself is a perfect combination of cozy, casual, fun and “up north”. Dining at the Lonesome Pine is more than just going out to eat – it’s an experience! If we don’t run into someone we know there (like a lake neighbor or an old friend), we make new friends that feel like family by the time we leave. This truly is a hidden gem just off the beaten path!

• Visited August 2013
Lakeville, Minnesota
“good pizza hidden in the woods”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I always sneak off to the Lonesome Pine when I go to conferences at Ruttger's. It's a mere 5 minute drive from the resort, and it is worth the quick drive to get some good take out pizza. This last visit, however, I decided to eat there with a friend. I found the menu to be over-priced for what you get and the service pretty inattentive. I still enjoyed my pizza and beer, but it was a better experience when I did take-out in the past. I was happy to see Stella Artois on tap, though, and many sporting events showing on the bar area TVs. Still, stick with the pizza, as other menu items are average (Applebee's-like) and cost too much.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank CAChris33
Minneapolis, MN
“Beware of The Tan Lady”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Our party of five arrived at the Lonesome Pine at 4:45 p.m. on a rainy & cold Saturday afternoon, (10/5) after an afternoon of antique shopping in Crosby. We didn't realize they don't open until 5:00. One of our group had to use the restroom, so we inquired if we could come in & sit at the bar or a table or ANYTHING until they opened. The woman who responded to our knock absolutely refused to let us in! It was the strangest thing, at this point only 10 minutes before opening. We went down the road to the Bird's Nest instead & had a fine time. Boo to the Lonesome Pine for their lack of hospitality.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Livitup46
“Great little place to eat on your way up to the lake”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped at the Lonesome Pine on the way up to the Brainerd area on Oct 4 at the recommendation of a friend. Upon arrival the parking lot was nearly full, despite it being off season. My first impression upon entering the restaurant was that it was a cheery up North cabin that happened to be a restaurant/bar. The decor was hunting and fishing memorabilia over knotty wood pine. The place was well lit with a positive vibe (it was a Friday night around 7pm...so people seemed festive).

We were seated almost immediately and quickly greeted by our server. The menu was extensive, with more than a few things that sounded good. The specials list was an additional list of things that I could have been happy trying.

I had the "prime" rib with a side of squash and a cup of wild rice soup. The meat definitely wasn't prime grade, but was still quite good. The soup was flavorful, not too salty, and packed full of chicken and rice.

My wife had the pork chop with a side of noodles and soup. Her meat was very tender with just the right amount of char on the outside. Again, flavorful without being too salty.

The kids each at the pizza, which had been recommended by my friend. It was a moderately thin crust style with lots of pepperoni and cheese. Both pizzas disappeared quickly, with my son asking if we could come back again...yes, was my answer!

• Visited October 2013