“Tried it once again......”
Review of El Metate - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Metate
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I've reviewed this place 3 times now and each time I think they have it figured out they let me down. First, the service is great from the moment you walk in and throughout the entire meal. But then again, I've had the same waiter each time since the place opened as El Loro and he's GREAT. I love the chips and the different salsa they bring out. They have this white colored salsa which I love. He calls it their "secret salsa". It's nothing I've ever had anywhere else but there. I ordered the Texacana Fajita and once again they brought it out where the fajita lacked any flavour at all. The beef was dry. The shrimp have no juice on it. The chicken was dry. My date had the Seafood Fajita and she said the sauce tasted like it had sat on a steam table too long and was thick and tasted more like flour than sauce. $8.50 for a Jumbo Margarita seemed high when the old place under the name of El Metate served you a pitcher of Margaritas for $15. We both boxed up what we didn't eat and never did finish it at home as it was so bad. It's a nice building, decor is decent, service has always been really good but the food is up and down each time. That may have been our last visit.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We had a great time here on the 4th of July, excellant beer, and a lakeside seat for the Detroit Lakes fireworks.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

After reading the great reviews for El Metate, we wanted to eat there & found that it is now called El Loro. The service was friendly, the meals reasonably priced & portions were tasty & large. Our waitress said her husband was the cook & everything we asked for we received! We do not like beans & rice mixed in our burritos, so we requested that they put them on the side & we got what we asked. They have an extensive menu, a bar, & views of Detroit Lake. Nice to have a good Mexican restaurant across from Detroit Lakes!

1  Thank NatureLover99_11
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Food was delicious! Chips/salsa were served right away. Rice had a seasoning on it that was so good. The kids fries also had a yummy seasoning on them. It is right across the street from Detroit lake. Great location!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Extensive menu. We love Mexican and since moving here from Texas we have not found too many good Mexican restaurants. We really enjoyed our dinner here.