“Authentic Mexican $$”

Add it.
El Metate
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Great, large menu full of authentic mexican dishes. Ask the server what some of them are, a lot I had never heard of. The staff is usually great and they don't get too busy in the evenings. There's a large bar in the middle of the place but rarely anyone sitting at it in the week evenings. Kid friendly!

There are newer reviews for El Metate

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We got cold meals with quarter filled margaritas and pushed out the door when we complained. Worst place ever.

1  Thank Andrew219
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We celebrated my moms birthday here and had a blast. My dad ordered these big pots of meat and veggies and we made our own soft shelled burritos. They served chips & salsa as a complimentary appetizer while we waited. After eating they brought my mom a birthday sundae and put a sombrero on her head and the waiter played guitar and he and the waitresses sang Happy Birthday. Maybe they were singing Feliz Cumpleanos but we were laughing so hard as the guitarist didn't really know how to play he just strummed along and joked right along with us. It was the highlight of the day because they were such good sports. I would have liked to try the chimichanga but my dad had already pre ordered. The food was good and there was plenty to eat.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I've reviewed this place 3 times now and each time I think they have it figured out they let me down. First, the service is great from the moment you walk in and throughout the entire meal. But then again, I've had the same waiter each time since the place opened as El Loro and he's GREAT. I love the chips and the different salsa they bring out. They have this white colored salsa which I love. He calls it their "secret salsa". It's nothing I've ever had anywhere else but there. I ordered the Texacana Fajita and once again they brought it out where the fajita lacked any flavour at all. The beef was dry. The shrimp have no juice on it. The chicken was dry. My date had the Seafood Fajita and she said the sauce tasted like it had sat on a steam table too long and was thick and tasted more like flour than sauce. $8.50 for a Jumbo Margarita seemed high when the old place under the name of El Metate served you a pitcher of Margaritas for $15. We both boxed up what we didn't eat and never did finish it at home as it was so bad. It's a nice building, decor is decent, service has always been really good but the food is up and down each time. That may have been our last visit.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We had a great time here on the 4th of July, excellant beer, and a lakeside seat for the Detroit Lakes fireworks.