“Best train ride in town!”

Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Join the fun of traveling the first railroad route into Duluth, a 6-mile historic train journey following the beautiful St. Louis River Estuary in Western Duluth. One hour & fifty minute ride is filled with history, wildlife and incredible scenery. It's the closest view of the river without getting wet! Enjoy the two vintage 100-year-old passenger coaches and the 1946 switch engine. Step outside to ride the Safari Car and experience nature at its best! Wander through the cars freely. Listen to the narration that includes rich Ojibwa history and learn about local landmarks. See views of Duluth that only can be seen by the train with unobstructed views of the lush forested area, grassy meadows, and panoramic views overlooking Wisconsin. See islands that can only be seen by railroad or water. Travel along the 12,000 acre freshwater estuary that as some of the best walleye, Muskie and bass fishing in the state. Check out our Choo Choo Paddle kayak/can shuttle service as well.
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The scenery is awesome! River views are incredible, lots of wildlife, they tell the history of the riverfront. I recommend this to all people coming to Duluth - locals too!

2  Thank super8duluth

Reviewed 6 March 2012

It's definatly not high speed rail, but the leisure pace and the river Scenery made for a relaxing ride.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We rode in an open car on a beautiful sunny day. The train runs only on Sat and Sun mid June thru Mid October so times to ride are limited. Train departs at 10:30 and 1:30. It is a great ride however. The whole operation is run by volunteers. One of the guys took the young kids into the locomotive before the ride to see the engine and look out the window and to provide a picture opportunity for the parents. Since there is road construction in Duluth this year, there were detailed directions to the train. However, we missed our turn and went back to it. It is not well marked. There is just a small building where you buy the tickets. They are hoping to raise money to build a larger building. No restrooms there before you board but there are two restrooms on board.
Great ride--very scenic and it was a narrated ride. Just water available for purchase.
They did sell a couple items on board the ride.

4  Thank tdf531
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We rode on the Sunday 10:30 am train ride. We used a Buy One Get One Free admission coupon, and kids 3 and under are free. The train is amazing...and very authentic looking. This was more of an "Experience" to me than just a scenic train ride. This is an all volunteer historic attraction, and while this is visually evident by the aging ticket booth counter and poorly maintained parking lot, it only makes me appreciate it more. "All aboard" was called, and the uniformed volunteers took our boarding pass and away we went. The very back portion of the train was a flat bed car with benches, and was open top. I spent most of the ride here getting excellent pictures. I did take the time to sit in, relax, and enjoy the completely original interior of the train cars. The one attached to the back was a "smoking or cigar car"- used in the past for men to gather and smoke etc. after meals. The next two cars are for passenger seating. The seats could configure so that you sit normally in rows facing forward, or you arrange the seats so that 4 people can face each other. Everything is completely original too, so it was fun observing the details of the equipment. The scenery and views are just ok...the weather that day was overcast and did not help out much either. I have not been on the North Shore Scenic Railroad, but I imagine the "sights" are better on that, and that this one is more of a "living museum." Near the end of the trip, the train personnel walk through the aisles and offer different items for purchase at a very passive no pressure kind of way. We bought our son a wooden pine train whistle for $4.00, it sounds nice (and isn't that annoying)! This was a very good experience overall. I appreciate the volunteer efforts to entertain and educate the public.

7  Thank MNRiverValleyLass
Reviewed 21 August 2006

This was right by our campground at Indian Point. An ex DMIR Pullman coach and a flatcar converted to outdoor seating with a fence and rails pulled by a small switcher. On this particular saturday they let my wife and I take our two Siberian Husky dogs on flatcar, it may be dog friendly. Before departure they took my nephew in the cab of the switcher (as well as all other little ones).
So relaxing my wife nodded off in the Pullman. A little girl spent two hours with her hand on my older huskies' back so he fell asleep too.
Nice narrative and super friendly volunteer staff. Price is reasonable as well. Trivia bit: Duluth is only city in USA with TWO excursion railroad companies. Caveat: only operates on weekends.

2  Thank cakehead